Roomba 605 no function of CLEAN button

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 605 no function of CLEAN button

Postby Teilchen » February 17th, 2019, 1:43 pm

I need some help with my roomba605, which I recently bought used.
The robot turns in immediately after a new battery is installed. CLEAN button has no function though. I can set it to Spot clean, one to go to Dock, so these two buttons work fine. The rest is OK so far. At least it seems so.
If sent to Dock, the roomba will start charging (based on RS232 comm) with reasonable currents and voltages.

I have disassembled the poor guy to clean it out. The SW5 (CLEAN button) had no debris, and actually closes the circuit (checkt with a multimeeter). So physically all is Ok with the button itself.
Compared with the Spot and Dock, I see a couple of differences:
- I measure some MOhms if the SPOT Button is disangaged
- one set of contacts of SPOT and DOCK buttons is connected to the GND of the battery connector. The second pair goes somewhere :)
- it seems that either of two sets of contacts of the CLEAN button are not connected to the GND of the battery.
So this is different. I have bridged the ‘similar’ side of the button to ground, but it did not start working.
I am not so good in reverse engineering a curcuit, but I was hoping to get a connection from any button to one of the MCU pins. Could not find any though. At least it did not ‘ring’ a continuity test.
I cannot find a similar thread for 600 R3 series. And the PCB layout seems to be different from the diagrams i have found. See attachment. I would appreciate any help on how to solve this issue. What unit does the button processing? Why is the CLEAN button seems to be different from the others? Thanks a lot!
And yes, I cannot perform a BIT, since the CLEAN button is not working :D
Attachments
C9BFE93B-6FEA-446B-ABAF-998233703989.jpeg
Teilchen

Re: Roomba 605 no function of CLEAN button

Postby Teilchen » February 18th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Anyone? Or is it a wrong place (or question) to ask? Search gives plenty of hits, but all related to no function on any buttons and 5V circuit fails...
Teilchen

Postby vic7767 » February 18th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Continuity failure to an MCU pin is probably the issue. However I am not familiar with the 605 MCU pinout.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby leonicholson » February 18th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Teilchen wrote:Anyone? Or is it a wrong place (or question) to ask?

This is probably the best place to ask, but have you also tried Reddit?
Can't hurt.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby Teilchen » February 18th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Thanks, I have tried a general google search too, with no fruitful results.
Yes, a trace to the MCU would be my first guess. But if there is no connection, it will be rather hard to find :). A multimeter did’t ring, if I swipe the MCU pins with a tester. I hope you know what I mean.
Is there a chance one could point me to what MCU pin a generic 600 roomba would have the buttons connected?
Teilchen

Postby TechGuy » February 19th, 2019, 11:20 am

If you have a Roomba remote, you may be able to send it to clean.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,.H-Bridge Repair How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby leonicholson » February 19th, 2019, 1:20 pm

TechGuy wrote:If you have a Roomba remote, you may be able to send it to clean.

Or a Harmony 700 remote. :wink:
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby Kelad » February 20th, 2019, 4:01 am

TechGuy wrote:If you have a Roomba remote, you may be able to send it to clean.

wish I had thought of that !
Teilchen - where you live ?
Kelad
Robot Groupie

Postby Teilchen » February 26th, 2019, 5:07 pm

I live in Germany...
I have actually managed to find a burned trace, well a burned via, actually. Just after the next R476 resistor, but on the back side of the PCB... I wonder how I have overlooked it the first time. I have put a bridge between the next possible solder pad further along the trace, and the button is working again! :D
It seems the previous owner had a water accident with the ROI connector. The fuse was tripped and despite resoldering it, I still have no VBAT Output on this connector. Not if i would care though... there are signs of evaporated components, perhaps a due to short curcuit on the VBAT. Eventually it was the cause for the burned VIA along the way.

The Roomber passes the BIT well now, however, if I put it to Clean or Spot cycle, the vacuum seems to be on only for 5 seconds... then it shuts down for 30-60seconds and after that it would run for 5 seconds and so on... seems strange, I would expect it to be always on? The robot seems to be moving normally, just the vacuum is not on.
I do not think this is a normal behavior, can someone please comment on that?
During the BIT the vacuum is on all the time until I stop the test, and the current consumption seems to be rather on the low side of limits...
Any thoughts?
Attachments
DB726674-C382-4A83-9AE5-9FECFBEDE9A7.jpeg
82BF1334-8AD8-472C-A63A-E6BCB2554B3D.jpeg
47BE0906-D501-4875-A9F2-A9913B6A32CE.jpeg
661F2C5F-DDE5-4213-94CD-7087EC2CBE8F.jpeg
Teilchen

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat