To Edge Clean or not to Edge Clean, that is my question!

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

To Edge Clean or not to Edge Clean, that is my question!

Postby drunkpenguin » February 28th, 2019, 1:25 pm

I've got about 1000 sq foot area that a 960 is currently handling like a boss! So much better than the neato in multiple ways. Anyways, to clean this area with 1 pass only and edge cleaning on takes 5 hours with 2 recharges. If I disable edge cleaning it'll do it in 3 hours with only 1 recharge.

Is edge cleaning worth it? I'm wondering about longevity of the robot. We only run it 3 days a week. I really wish iRobot would update their software so that different scheduled days could have different preferences.

But back to the question, do you use edge cleaning on the 900s and or I7?
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Re: To Edge Clean or not to Edge Clean, that is my question!

Postby RTC » March 1st, 2019, 5:55 am

My 980 always does edge cleaning.

However as I don't have a smartphone I have no way to control that anyway.

But I only have an about 650 square foot apartment and have never allowed it in the main bedroom.
The first run was the longest (having 1 recharge) and since then it has never needed to recharge in the middle of cleaning.
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby George Jetson » March 10th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Guessing your 1,000 square feet is mostly carpet drunkpenguin because 5 hours to clean that space on a single pass seems excessive. I clean an area that my 960 measures as 675 square feet (and is pretty complex in terms of furniture, rooms, walls, etc) in 95 minutes on 2 passes + edge cleaning; but it's 100% solid surfaces.
And yes, I always use edge cleaning, although this is one of the frustrating aspects of iRobot's code for me: Roomba finishes with edge cleaning and this frequently kicks-out debris from the wall and leaves it in the middle of the room. I'm sure there's a logical reason behind the patterned cleaning scheme's design, but I'd personally like to see an enhancement that cleans the perimeter first (and/or alternates the side brush's direction of rotation with each back and forth pass; so the side brush is always pushing debris towards the same wall in a given room; ie North and West instead of just kicking it to the robot's left); then the back and forth passes would be able to pick-up the debris pushed-away from the walls by edge clean. :confusion-shrug:
Dave

Rosie (Retired): Trusty 560 with numerous mods and hacks - Adopted 12/2007
Rosie 2.0: Bone stock 960 - Adopted 09/2018
George Jetson

Postby drunkpenguin » March 11th, 2019, 11:32 am

Well I should update this thread. I've been using 1 pass with edge cleaning. Its been doing it in about 3.5 hours. The entire space is tile and hardwood floors with one rather large and thick rug, 15x11 which slows it down some I think. My rough calculations make the space more like 1300 sq feet but Roomba reports around 900. The neato I briefly had reported 1000. So I don't know, but its doing a fantastic job!
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat