i7 vs 985

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

i7 vs 985

Postby Jeff in VA » February 28th, 2019, 2:24 pm

I bought a 985 from Costco and have been very happy with its cleaning ability. A few days ago I picked up a new i7. The mapping is great, but I am surprised by the cleaning. With the 985, I have to empty the bin every time it cleans and it is full. With the i7, it empties itself, but it does not seem like there is much in the bag.

Are i7s that bad at cleaning? Or maybe this one is defective?
Jeff in VA

Re: i7 vs 985

Postby vic7767 » February 28th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Your i7 is gathering and disposing debris at a lower volume than the 900 models. I suspect this is by design due to the auto empty process and it may help from blocking the exhaust path if a larger volume of debris was included in the original design.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby rotorwash » March 1st, 2019, 8:53 am

I have had both the i7 and the 980(5) and the 985 does a way better job picking up debris hands down. I loved the smarter i7 but it was basically just going around combing the carpet not vacuuming it.

I will wait for the next upgrade. I suspect that the i7 exhaust into the unit severely hampers the suction.
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby drunkpenguin » March 1st, 2019, 12:47 pm

I had an internal debate about 900 vs I7 very recently and you guys might be making me feel good about my choice for a 960. Thanks! :)
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby leonicholson » March 1st, 2019, 4:19 pm

rotorwash wrote:I have had both the i7 and the 980(5) and the 985 does a way better job picking up debris hands down. I loved the smarter i7 but it was basically just going around combing the carpet not vacuuming it.

Reviews seem to indicate that an i7 physically collects debris much like a 980 without carpet boost.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby rotorwash » March 1st, 2019, 7:26 pm

leonicholson wrote:
rotorwash wrote:I have had both the i7 and the 980(5) and the 985 does a way better job picking up debris hands down. I loved the smarter i7 but it was basically just going around combing the carpet not vacuuming it.

Reviews seem to indicate that an i7 physically collects debris much like a 980 without carpet boost.

my experience seemed to be that the suction was just not strong enough. Example it would ball up dog hair and spit it out rather than pull it into the debris bin. When cleaning the i7 I would find debris stuck between the roller and the bin. The 980 would literally pack the hair in tightly into the debris bin.
I have two Golden retrievers and they shed a lot. I'm vacuuming every day. Damn dogs should be bald with the hair they leave around.
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby drunkpenguin » March 1st, 2019, 7:33 pm

rotorwash wrote:
leonicholson wrote:
rotorwash wrote:Damn dogs should be bald with the hair they leave around.

LOL! Isn't it crazy? We have 2 cats and the floor always looks clean but every single time I run a robot it packs that bin full of hair. Even in the winter! Aren't they suppose to keep the hair in the winter? :o
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby Jeff in VA » March 1st, 2019, 9:20 pm

I decided to try a test of what they are picking up. Yesterday I let the 985 vacuum, then weighed what it picked up. I weighed the bag from the i7, then let it run today and weighed it again to see what it did. To my surprise, the 985 picked up 4 grams of dirt/cat hair. The i7 picked up 6 grams.

The volume of material in the 985 bin looks larger, but the weight is less. I assume the process of vacuuming the contents of the i7 bin into the base compresses it so it looks like less.
Jeff in VA

Postby RTC » March 2nd, 2019, 2:28 am

drunkpenguin wrote:LOL! Isn't it crazy? We have 2 cats and the floor always looks clean but every single time I run a robot it packs that bin full of hair. Even in the winter! Aren't they suppose to keep the hair in the winter? :o

When I had 2 long haired cats, never saw hair on the floor. However when I got up for some reason in the middle of the night I would often step on at least one very sloppy wet hairball! :shock: :o :(

I wonder how well these would do on hairballs!
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby rotorwash » March 2nd, 2019, 10:51 am

Jeff in VA wrote:I decided to try a test of what they are picking up. Yesterday I let the 985 vacuum, then weighed what it picked up. I weighed the bag from the i7, then let it run today and weighed it again to see what it did. To my surprise, the 985 picked up 4 grams of dirt/cat hair. The i7 picked up 6 grams.

The volume of material in the 985 bin looks larger, but the weight is less. I assume the process of vacuuming the contents of the i7 bin into the base compresses it so it looks like less.

do that test over a week one day doesn't say anything. Honestly I ran both bots and really really wanted the i7 to win but it just was horrible compared the 980.
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat