Roomba 660 Running into base station

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 660 Running into base station

Postby szaplach » February 28th, 2019, 5:53 pm

I just acquired a Roomba 660. It works fine when cleaning and the sensors work fine (bumpers work, detects walls etc) and it detects virtual walls fine and avoids that area. It also docks fine in the base after finishing a cleaning cycle or when the dock button is pressed.

However, there are a couple of strange things. Even though the Roomba can find the docking station easily, it will bump into it and drive over it during a cleaning cycle instead of avoiding it.
Secondly, when it does dock, it does not slow down to a crawl once it gets close to the dock, but instead docks at the slightly faster (ie approaching a wall) speed. It still docks successfully though at this higher speed.
I'm trying to determine if these two anomalies are caused by a fault in the dock or the robot (no spares of either to test with).

Any suggestions what to look for/test/replace?

I did check the 3 wires to the top RCON sensor on the robot and there is no breakage and all 3 have continuity from the sensor to the board. I'm not sure if this sensor is involved in virtual wall detection because the robot does detect my 4000 series (older) virtual wall fine, but does not see the charging dock as a "virtual wall" when in cleaning mode.
szaplach

Re: Roomba 660 Running into base station

Postby vic7767 » February 28th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Time to suspect the base station, not the Roomba..
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby szaplach » February 28th, 2019, 6:33 pm

vic7767 wrote:Time to suspect the base station, not the Roomba..

I did disassemble the base station too and found nothing obvious. The two outward facing IR sensors work and emit a bright light when viewed through my security camera in night mode. The top IR sensor (analogous to the one on top of the robot bumper) appears to emit a much weaker light. Not sure if that means anything.
szaplach

Postby szaplach » February 28th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Another test...

I found an old Roomba Discovery remote control and the 660 responds to the remote functions (power, clean, pause, spot), so does that indicate the Roomba RCON is fine?
szaplach

Postby vic7767 » February 28th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Read through the 500 model service manual and then perform the MANUAL Built in Tests. Use the home base during the RCON tests and see if the Roomba can detect the top IR signal.

Here's the URL to the manual: https://choisirsonaspirateur.info/wp-co ... Manual.pdf
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby szaplach » February 28th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Thanks for the help and the link to the manual.
All tests seems to suggest robot is behaving normally.

When I get to the test 9 RCON test, the robot sees the virtual wall IR beam from several feet away, but only detects the beam from the base station when the two sensors (robot RCON and base station top beam) are essentially touching each other.

Test 10 shows the directional sensors are working and can detect the base from several feet away.

This all seems to suggest the IR signal emitted from the top of the base station is very weak (confirmed with security camera in night mode test mentioned earlier).

Do you think I can just remove an IR transmitter from an old remote and replace the one in the base station??
szaplach

Postby szaplach » February 28th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Do you think I can just remove an IR transmitter from an old remote and replace the one in the base station??

Further to the last question above, the base I got with the 660 is the older style with the external power supply (Model 17062), not the newer 600 series base with the integrated power supply. This older base should still be fully compatible with the 660 correct? Just wanted to confirm before I attempt repair of this base station.
szaplach

Postby vic7767 » February 28th, 2019, 11:38 pm

The earlier home base should work with the later models.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby szaplach » March 1st, 2019, 12:15 am

Just to update everyone, I removed the IR sensor from the base station board and replaced it with one from a dead remote I had lying around.
After replacement, the beacon IR light was much brighter using the camera night mode, the Roomba could now see the dock from several feet away using diagnostic RCON test 9, and Roomba now avoids the dock when cleaning and docks slowly.

In other words, the base station appears to be working properly now thanks to a donor IR transmitter from an old remote control.

Yay, and thanks very much to vic7767 for the invaluable help!

:cheers:
szaplach

Postby vic7767 » March 1st, 2019, 12:18 am

Great work!
vic7767
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat