How to polish a scratched, dull Roomba?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

How to polish a scratched, dull Roomba?

Postby babakonda » March 6th, 2019, 9:53 am

I have several Roombas at home. Most of them look like they've been through a war - scratches, swirls etc.
I am aware that I won't be able to fix deep scratches without repairing and painting it, but is there a way to at least polish those smaller ones and restore the original shine, or at least get rid of the dull, sad appearance?
Note: I'm looking for a specific product which can be used manually, not with an electric polishing machine.

What exact kind of plastic are Roombas made from? I'm mostly referring to 700/800 series.
The internets mention polishing with a toothpaste (?!) yet I wouldn't try that if someone has a better suggestion.
babakonda
Robot Addict

Re: How to polish a scratched, dull Roomba?

Postby Botty » March 6th, 2019, 10:09 am

someone suggested window cleaner, and that worked pretty well for me
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » March 6th, 2019, 11:15 am

A melamine sponge (e.g. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser) works well on non-glossy surfaces. There are several plastic polishes (e.g. Meguiar's PlastX) for cars that might work well on glossy surfaces. You can buy them in box box or car parts stores.

I don't know exactly what kind of plastic Roomba's are made from, but I'm guessing it's ABS. On older models, there were no coatings or finishes, which meant you could theoretically polish away any scratch. On newer models, they introduced gloss and painted surfaces, which makes it much more difficult.

I don't understand why iRobot won't sell replacement top plates. They're easy to replace and they have the greatest impact on the appearance of the robot.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby babakonda » March 9th, 2019, 7:39 pm

@Botty, window cleaner can clean it (remove dirt, grease etc) but does nothing on scratches.

@ps0001, thanks for the suggestion. My SO did try with a regular car polishing paste on 880 faceplate, using the machine, but it wasn’t the one specifically for plastics. Yeah it seems ABS as it was really hard. I’ll try with a specialized acrylic/plexiglass paste, the thing used for motorcycle helmet visors next
babakonda
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat