I7+ Disable clean base

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

I7+ Disable clean base

Postby dfp » March 9th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Hi,

Is there anyway to tell the I7+ not to empty the contents in the base?

I have imported this into a 240v country and trying to find how many watts the base uses when vacuuming the contents from the I7 roomba. 500w downconverter is tripping on that action so must be far over this.

Thanks
dfp

Re: I7+ Disable clean base

Postby RTC » March 10th, 2019, 9:45 am

dfp wrote:500w downconverter is tripping on that action so must be far over this.

Thanks

Is this "downconverter" a transformer or a power converter (e.g. a UPS) that you are using?

A transformer should be OK, but a power converter can damage the Roomba and/or Base. This is "hidden" in the Battery section of the manual.
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby dfp » March 10th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Its a transformer but only rated at 500w so its tripping on the base vacuuming action. I've removed the bag to stop it doing this action until I can find out how many watts it needs. From power meter I could see 900+ watts being pulled before it trips.
dfp

Postby RTC » March 10th, 2019, 7:49 pm

dfp wrote:From power meter I could see 900+ watts being pulled before it trips.

Well, you definitely have a slow blow thermal breaker on that transformer for it to allow that high a "transient" current before tripping.

It is unclear if this peak is just a transient that goes away after a few seconds or a sustained operating wattage.

What is the wattage with the i7 just charging on the Base? I would guess less than 50 watts.

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby dfp » March 10th, 2019, 7:58 pm

around 30w charging
dfp

Postby RTC » March 11th, 2019, 1:06 am

dfp wrote:around 30w charging

I have a hard time imagining that the steady state to run the vacuum motor in the Base would exceed about 20 times that (i.e. 600 watts) but the transient surge to start it could easily be twice that (i.e. 1200 watts) for a couple seconds.

A standard American 120 volt outlet has a 15 ampere breaker, limiting it to 1800 watts steady state. If you had a transformer with that rating (and your 220 volt outlet could handle it) then the i7+ Base would definitely work fine.
But I can't see that the Base could actually need the full capacity of a 15 ampere circuit.

Is your transformer an autotransformer or does it have completely separate primary and secondary windings?

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby dfp » March 11th, 2019, 5:04 am

yeah well seeing over 900w before it kicks its breaker into gear. It probably vacuums for around 2 seconds with the 500w unit.

I believe the transformers has separate primary/secondary windings
dfp

Postby RTC » March 11th, 2019, 10:54 am

I assume your 220 volt outlet is on something like an 8 ampere breaker (i.e. roughly equivalent to a 120 volt outlet on a 15 ampere breaker).

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby dfp » March 12th, 2019, 6:27 am

yeah im not sure to honest on the circuit breaker. I have changed the power transformer to a 1000w rated model which is rather heavy and seems to run well on that so think I have solved the issue.
dfp

Postby RTC » March 12th, 2019, 9:27 pm

dfp wrote:I have changed the power transformer to a 1000w rated model which is rather heavy and seems to run well on that so think I have solved the issue.

Wonderful.

Yes, the bigger the transformer the more iron and that will get heavy. :D :)

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby Brett » March 12th, 2019, 10:51 pm

Surely it says on the machine what input voltage it can take?!!
Take a photo of the back of the unit and post it.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!

Robot repair: www.qubot.com.au
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » March 13th, 2019, 2:56 am

Brett wrote:Surely it says on the machine what input voltage it can take?!!
Take a photo of the back of the unit and post it.

It probably does not say the amperage it consumes at that voltage. You need both to run.
Being designed for the North American market, the voltage will obviously be 120VAC.
So he used a 220V to 120V transformer, but his first transformer could not supply the required amperage and its internal breaker popped. The bigger transformer though did it fine.

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby dfp » March 13th, 2019, 4:58 am

Yeah bigger transformer did the job and the I7 is amazing, with the internal vacuum also. It doesnt show the power usage but defintely says its 120VAC rated only.
dfp

Postby Brett » March 13th, 2019, 8:35 pm

RTC wrote:... It probably does not say the amperage ...

Yes, but if the unit can be plugged straight into the wall then that is the best option, bar none.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!

Robot repair: www.qubot.com.au
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » March 13th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Brett wrote:
RTC wrote:... It probably does not say the amperage ...

Yes, but if the unit can be plugged straight into the wall then that is the best option, bar none.

It can not be plugged directly into the 220VAC wall outlet that he has as that Base is rated for North American 120VAC only.

So he used a 220V to 120V transformer, and since it worked OK he proved it is not dependent on North American 60 Hz (just 120VAC).

iRobot has indicated they have no plans to introduce a version of that Base for use outside the North American market.

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby jystic » July 9th, 2019, 4:47 pm

I recently purchased an s9+ from the US for use in Australia and this post was immensely useful to me. Probably the only thing on the internet which answered my questions, so thank you @dfp!

I figured I would post my experience to help give more confidence to anyone who is thinking of doing the same thing.

I am running the s9+ (with clean base) off a 1000W step down transformer, this one to be exact: https://www.wallcann.com.au/1000w-step-down-transformer/

Everything is working smoothly so far. If anything changes I will report back.

If anyone is looking for more technical details, on the bottom of the s9+ clean base it says:
50/60Hz 110-127V 12A 1.2kW

The 1.2kW made me a bit nervous, but it does seem to work without issue with the linked transformer.
jystic

Postby RTC » July 9th, 2019, 7:56 pm

jystic wrote:Everything is working smoothly so far. If anything changes I will report back.

If anyone is looking for more technical details, on the bottom of the s9+ clean base it says:
50/60Hz 110-127V 12A 1.2kW

The 1.2kW made me a bit nervous, but it does seem to work without issue with the linked transformer.

Well, @ 110VAC and 20A the load is 1.32kW and @ 127VAC and 20A the load is 2.54kW.

Obviously if they are rating it at 1.2kW the average current draw is probably closer to <10A and the listed 20A rating must be for short surges.

But if you find you have problems with breakers in the 1kW transformer popping, you might need to go to a bigger one.

RTC
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat