895: WiFi & vacuum motor issue (BIT 18)

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

895: WiFi & vacuum motor issue (BIT 18)

Postby babakonda » March 15th, 2019, 7:49 pm

Hello to all,
So I bought an 895 from 2017 for parts. Previous owner stated that it “just stopped working overnight” (not sure how much I believe that but well...nevermind). Anyway, I performed a thorough cleaning first, left it to charge - which it did - and then thought perhaps it might be worth saving.

Started with trying to connect it to WiFi. I’ve reset it multiple times, yet “activating Roomba WiFi” step seems impossible to complete. After 2 seconds of pressing spot+home buttons and releasing them, Roomba should make a sound and illluminate the wifi icon. It’s not happening: no sound, no wifi icon, no active wifi found. Roomba doesn’t activate its own wifi. Wifi should also be activated by pressing ‘home’ for 2secs - no luck either. Note: wifi light itself works, i.e. the LED is not dead - as confirmed when starting the BIT. Just won’t activate the wifi...

But... I believe a bigger issue is that it won’t start even without the wifi :mrgreen:
When roomba is on the charger: Pressing CLEAN does nothing. No sound, no movement.
When roomba is off the charger: Pressing CLEAN results in a single “beep” and no action. No voice message either. Nothing.
So I’ve ran Manual BIT, and test 18 - vacuum - seems to fail. Roomba should turn the vacuum on, but it doesn’t. No action whatsoever.
I imagine the first step here would be connecting a 9V battery to the bin?

Thanks in advance for any ideas :)
babakonda
Robot Addict

Re: 895: WiFi & vacuum motor issue (BIT 18)

Postby Kelad » March 16th, 2019, 5:25 am

I'd go the 9V battery option first.

Sort of similar problem here with a 780
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?t=19392

I dont have a 895, but how to the bin contacts look on the robot?
Kelad
Robot Groupie

Postby babakonda » March 16th, 2019, 11:54 am

9V battery test result: vacuum motor works (impeller spins normally in both directions).
Contacts on the bin and robot look normal.

Tried the BIT again, same failure: test 18 does not start the vacuum motor.
Also tried with a fresh battery from my 980, same results (with vacuum and wifi issue).
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby babakonda » March 16th, 2019, 2:50 pm

I figured out that I have nothing to lose, so I proceeded to fully dismantle the 895. Checked the wiring for the bin contacts, everything looks fine. But then...

After beeing greeted by a cat

And spotting very suspicious-looking white residue on the right side of the robot

This is what appeared on the board / some brown powderish residue around R181

And on the bottom side of the board (so, beneath it), clear evidence of burnt stuff, corroded ‘thingies’ and more white and brown powder

So, obviously, this poor Roomba has been... well... pissed on. :mrgreen:
I did clean it all up, even managed to reassemble everything, but no change in behaviour.
So it seems that the main board has been permanently damaged. Roomba goes to parts as I don’t have a donor board available.

R.I.P.
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby babakonda » March 18th, 2019, 9:15 am

Hm it might have a Poltergeist in it :D
so I left it on the dock to charge, and another Roomba just poked it and moved it a bit from the dock so it lost contact.
It now speaks :shock: “Error 1-4, please open the iRobot Home app”. It never spoke before. The bin is installed.
Well it’s dead, yet it isn’t mute. Too many “Walking Dead” episodes seen here...
babakonda
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat