Roomba 500 brushes not turning on carpet

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 500 brushes not turning on carpet

Postby sonicboom81 » March 25th, 2019, 7:18 am

I've had a Roomba 500 for coming up 10 years, and with a bit of maintenance with replacing the brushes once and battery twice, and cleaning it inside, it's worked really well with usually daily use. I'm surprised my £150 robot has survived so long.

Last time I took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together, it works great on hard flooring, but when on carpet that it used to be fine on, the brushes stop turning, and try to turn every few seconds, but don't.

If I take the bin part off they will spin fine, so it might not be a motor issue, more like a sensor issue when the weight of it on carpet makes it think the brushes are stuck I imagine?

Is there any known fix for this, or maybe a brush assembly replacement would be a good idea?

I don't want to upgrade to a newer model when this one has done so well for 10 years. Probably the best value for money product I've ever bought.
sonicboom81

Re: Roomba 500 brushes not turning on carpet

Postby sonicboom81 » March 25th, 2019, 7:48 am

Fixed it.

I'd put the motor back turned in the wrong position. Putting it back following a motor replacement video in the correct position fixed it.

Hopefully my robot lasts a few more years yet!
sonicboom81

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat