Roomba 880 bumping into lighthouses - only on one side

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 880 bumping into lighthouses - only on one side

Postby mcgroarty » March 28th, 2019, 6:47 pm

I have a Roomba 880 that bumps into or ignores lighthouses. It only happens occasionally although it's happening increasingly often. It only happens when passing them on the right side, I've yet to see it happen while the lighthouse is to the left of the Roomba. The Roomba and the two lighthouses both have new (<1 month) batteries.

How should I troubleshoot this?

I do see some dust accumulation underneath the cliff sensor plastic on the rightmost sensor. Do the cliff sensors underneath the unit also factor into detecting the lighthouse? Or is the front sensor atop the bumper the only one I should be concerned about?
mcgroarty

Re: Roomba 880 bumping into lighthouses - only on one side

Postby RTC » March 28th, 2019, 9:15 pm

mcgroarty wrote:I have a Roomba 880 that bumps into or ignores lighthouses.
How should I troubleshoot this?

Clean the little round "periscope" sensor on the top front edge. This is the ONLY sensor used to "see" lighthouses/virtual walls and the home base. (does it also ever have problems returning to the home base?)
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » March 28th, 2019, 10:41 pm

A common fault is that one of the three wires that connect the top mount IR sensor to the main circuit board has broken. Disassemble the front bumper and check for broken leads.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby a1robotrepair » March 28th, 2019, 11:05 pm

Remove the battery cover, battery and bottom of bot.
Remove the bottom 10 screws of the bumper retainer and retainer.
Carefully separate the bumper about an inch away from bot and remove the 2 screws from the RCON.
Separate the RCON from the bumper, take note of proper orientation of RCON.
In the top middle of the front of the bot you will notice a rectangular black plastic piece.
The directional sensors are recessed on each side of the divided rectangular piece.
Blow them out and use a soft paint brush to clean the dust from inside the bumper.
You can also dampen a q-tip with alcohol and clean the sensors a little better.
Do not use water! The sensors and rectangular separator are soldered to the circuit bosrd.
Hopefully this works and you don’t have a bad sensor or sensor circuit.
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat