original roomba does not respond when the bumper hits anythi

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

original roomba does not respond when the bumper hits anythi

Postby jomo » April 6th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Hi,
I have an original Roomba (400 series?) and until the other day it has been a great vacuum cleaner for a long while.
Now in theory it is working fine but when it bumps into something it still tries to go forward (and of course fails at that) and does not try to go around the obstacle. Yesterday I opened up the unit and gave it a good cleaning, closed the unit back up and when I started it I still had the same problem.

I am hoping that someone can please tell me what to do next.
Thanks!
jomo

Re: original roomba does not respond when the bumper hits an

Postby mfortuna » April 6th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Check this topic on how to run diagnostics.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2757

That way you can narrow down the failure.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby jomo » April 6th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the links that did work did not bring me to the diagnostic section.
jomo

Postby jomo » April 6th, 2019, 6:26 pm

OK, I got it into diagnostic mode and here is what happened.
I clicked L and the wheels spin. Power light is Green
I clicked L again and the wheels spin the other way. Power light is Red
I clicked L and the brush spins. Power light is Green
I clicked L and the small brush spins. Power light is Green
I clicked L and when I put my hand under one side of the bumper the M light comes on but nothing happens when I put my hand under the other side of the bumper. Power light is Red
I clicked L and the S and M light comes on. I move my hand under the bumper and I can get the S and M lights to turn off. Power light is Green
I clicked L and the M and L light comes on. I move my hand under the bumper and I can get the M and L lights to turn off. Power light is Green.
I clicked L and the M light turns on. Power light is Red.

I hope this helps.

Any advice as to what this shows?
jomo

Postby jomo » April 9th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Can someone please reply? I really want to get this machine up and running again. I understand that this is a volunteer operated forum and that is why I waited a few days.
Thanks!
Last edited by jomo on April 10th, 2019, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jomo

Postby mfortuna » April 10th, 2019, 11:46 am

I will try running diags on my 400 series tonight. I am confused since the first test should be the bumper test.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby jomo » April 21st, 2019, 6:00 pm

Hi,
It's been over two weeks and I'm still waiting for help. Can someone out there please try to help with my issue with my roomba?
Thank you very much,
Jomo
jomo

Postby vic7767 » April 21st, 2019, 6:32 pm

When your Original Silver Roomba is placed into the Built in Tests, the very first test is the left & right bumper sensors, (not the cliff sensors that are mounted to the bottom of the Roomba) So before pressing any buttons after entering the BiTs, press the left area of the front bumper and see if see any leds either light up or go off. Now press the right side of the bumper and see if any leds operate or go dark. The most common failure to the bump sensors (2) is that the IR beam between the Xmit and receive is blocked from debris build up. The only way to clear it is to remove the bumper and use a Q-tip with alcohol to clean the two surfaces of the sensor that is mounted on the main circuit board.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby jomo » April 22nd, 2019, 6:32 pm

I tried what you said. When I push the left or right bumper nothing changes. The green power light was on before, during and after pushing in on the front bumper. Please confirm what this means.
I have taken apart the unit but was never able to get the bumper off. Any detailed instruction on this?
Thank you!
jomo

Postby vic7767 » April 22nd, 2019, 9:22 pm

Here's what I tried today. First hold down all 3 buttons S, M, & L. Then power on your Original Roomba, keep all 3 button depressed until you hear the Roomba play the tunes. Release the buttons and observe the LED display. The only LED that should be on is the PWR LED and it should be Green. Now press the L button once, the PWR LED should turn Red. Now press the Left side of the front bumper and observe the S LED will turn on and then go dark when the bumper is released. If the S LED was already on then the bumper sensor for the left side has failed and will need cleaning. Now press the Right front bumper and the S LED will turn on and go off when you release the bumper. If the L LED is already on then that bumper sensor will need cleaning. Compressed air is the best method of cleaning the bumper sensors.

Disassembly is not as easy as later model Roombas beyond the Pro Elite. Give me a couple of days to create a help guide.
Last edited by vic7767 on April 22nd, 2019, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby jomo » April 22nd, 2019, 9:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will do the test you suggested either later tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks for your help
jomo

Postby jomo » Yesterday, 2:38 pm

I ran the test that you requested.
The power light initially was green
I pressed L and the power light went red
The S and L light remained on regardless of whether or not I pushed the bumper.
You said that this means that the sensor needs to be cleaned.
I did use compressed air but nothing changed.
I generally do not be in coincidences and am not really convinced that both sensors got dirty at the same time. It is possible but unlikely. What do you think?
Thank you for your time.
Jomo
jomo

Postby vic7767 » Yesterday, 5:33 pm

Since the two bumper sensors are wired in series it's possible for one component to fail and cause both to report activation. It may still be just a debris issue. It is very difficult to access the bump sensor without tear down.
Attachments
Original Roomba.jpg
Bump sensor location
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby jomo » Yesterday, 5:37 pm

When you get a chance can I please get that help guide.
Meanwhile I'll try some more compressed air. If it works, I'll let you know.
Thanks!
jomo

Postby jomo » Yesterday, 7:19 pm

Are the sensors those plastics rods that move in and out with the bumper or the part that the plastic rods move into?? I thought that it would be some electrical part. I spayed compressed air all over the area by the rods and it still did not help. The rods definitely move freely and from all angles I can see from they are clean.
can you please tell me what is next? I do not have a problem tearing down the unit!
BTW, in case this will be helpful, the roomba goes in a circle for awhile before going straight and bumping into something (and then it keeps trying to go straight as if the obstacle is not there)
Thanks for the help.
Jomo
jomo

Postby jomo » Yesterday, 7:30 pm

I ran the test again and notice something that I did not notice last time.
I go into BIT and the power light is green (as before)
I then press L and both the S and L light come on (as before)
With out pressing any buttons I ran my hand under the machine just by the side brush and the M light came on.
I think that maybe the wires got crossed between the cliff sensors and the bumper sensors(??). I will look into that now. I did not find anything.
Jomo
jomo

Postby vic7767 » Today, 2:45 pm

The plastic rods that move in and out when the bumper encounters an object, interrupts an IR beam that is active when the Roomba is powered on. Below is a picture of a later model Roomba bump sensor with the plastic rod removed. There is an IRED (Infrared emitter diode and IR receiver transistor) mounted at the top and bottom of the bump sensor housing for both the left and right bumper.

I'm awaiting a phillips head tool (short right angle) so that I can continue dis-assembly of the front bumper. When that is accomplished I'll write up a short procedure to reach the bump sensors.
Attachments
IMG_0646.JPG
Left bumper sensor housing from a 4XXX Roomba
vic7767
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat