Recliner barrier.

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Recliner barrier.

Postby leonicholson » April 9th, 2019, 10:22 pm

I've come up with a simple solution to my Roomba getting caught under the side of my recliner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273772769118

Plastic bag inside (Walmart bags for wet umbrellas) and add sand or pea gravel to make long beanbag. Cheap and simple.
Attachments
Beanbag.jpg
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Re: Recliner barrier.

Postby RTC » April 9th, 2019, 10:56 pm

I had a similar problem with an electric baseboard heater: it was not mounted level and my Roomba would try to go under its high side, eventually getting a bumper caught as the bottom edge of the heater got lower.

It turned out I already had a scrap piece of lumber from something else that was slightly longer than the electric baseboard heater. Placing that under the heater prevents the Roomba from trying to go under the heater.

Eventually I will need a better, more permanent solution as I suspect other heaters that it currently does not have access to have the same issue and I can't buy custom cut lumber for each (I was lucky this time).
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » April 10th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Nice idea! I've been meaning to make something similar to slip in front of the bedroom doors while the Roomba does its thing at night. I made bumpers out of wood and foam that I screwed to the back of my recliner so the Roomba doesn't get stuck there. It's less conspicuous than it sounds. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby leonicholson » April 10th, 2019, 3:07 pm

These things are an inch or so inside recliner and not noticeable.
I was going to install some strips or bumpers on the recliner, but wanted a more simple solution.
Innovation resulting from laziness. :)
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat