Roomba 960 getting stuck under things. Fixes?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 960 getting stuck under things. Fixes?

Postby djondjoe » April 26th, 2019, 5:29 am

After a 10 year hiatus from my old Roomba, which I found utterly stupid, I now decided to try again.

So far it hasn't been able to run a full program without getting stuck somewhere, so I kind of regret trying again right now.

Today it decided to get stuck under a wall mounted toilet. I then started thinking about placing some self adhesive felt on top of the robot, the ones you normally use under chairs, to make the robot taller. Maybe on top of the top front sensor and on the sides so it wont get so far under things that it will get stuck. Will this interfere with any sensors or cameras if I do that?

Any other better ideas? Amazon has also accepted that I return it, so I'm also considering that :(
djondjoe

Re: Roomba 960 getting stuck under things. Fixes?

Postby leonicholson » April 26th, 2019, 12:13 pm

I would consider returning it if you can't use barriers, virtual walls and halos for problem areas. I have a 980 that was getting stuck where my older "random" 665 did not. I think it is related to 9xx's more efficient parallel cleaning logic.

We use the 980 for our unused upstairs which has fewer obstacles. It's mapping and bin full messaging is very useful.

My only problem with my 665 was getting caught under the sides of recliners, but this was due to the slope of the chair edges. I solved this with some simple unobtrusive DIY sandbags.

Being seniors, we depend upon our several Roombas to keep our largish home free of dust and pet hair, especially under beds, etc. (We also use Braavas). We've found the Roombas consistently get stuck at the same few places and were not that difficult to prevent. Just takes a couple runs and some patience. :)
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby drunkpenguin » April 26th, 2019, 1:23 pm

I only buy furniture thats roomba friendly. We have 3 of them and getting stuck is very rare. You could consider upgrading to the I7 which i think supports no go lines now via the app. The Neato supports this as well but I found the D7 to be complete garbage and returned it. But the no go lines did work.
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby babakonda » April 26th, 2019, 5:59 pm

It takes a few runs to figure out where it gets stuck and then prevent it from going there. There’s no universal recipe as it depends on your specific home.

Just recently I got a 3D object printed to prevent Roombas from getting stuck on our clothes rack > https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3258350 - couldn’t be happier!
Yes, you can stick some felt protectors on top of the IR sensor and on top of bumper if it would help. I found it more convenient to just adapt my home. Hell, I even changed the living room rug because of Roomba, and custom-made some extra stands for two large sofas so that Roombas could get under there :D
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby George Jetson » May 18th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Did someone say wall mounted toilet? :lol:
Photo May 18, 12 42 30 PM.jpg

The problem with modifying your bot to avoid one obstacle means it is likely to get stuck under something else just a little bit taller. Better to modify the object environment instead.
I don't know what model you had previously, but I used a 560 for over ten years before replacing it with a 960 last Fall...definitely a worthwhile investment for me. Good Luck.
Dave

Rosie (Retired): Trusty 560 with numerous mods and hacks - Adopted 12/2007
Rosie 2.0: Bone stock 960 - Adopted 09/2018
George Jetson

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat