Roomba i7 Random Red Light Error

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba i7 Random Red Light Error

Postby DerekM » April 29th, 2019, 11:30 pm

Hello, good evening,

I purchased my i7 at the end of 2018. Ever since I've had it it has shown erratic behavior. While on the home base or while running a job, the red light randomly appears. If it is running it stops and I get no error code when I press the clean button. After it remains red for a while (a few minutes usually) the light turns white and it makes a sound similar to a restart. It is not actually a reboot as the light does not circle round the clean button. If it was doing a job, at this point it has forgotten it and has to be restarted from zero, no record of the partial job is reflected in the iRobot app.
It also does it at night while on the home base, maybe 4 o 5 times. The restart sound is driving the family crazy, so I've resorted to powering it down at night.

It connects to the cloud with no issues, and just in case I've also switched wifi routers in case a dropped internet connection could cause the problem, no change however. The SW version got updated a few days ago to 1.6.6. but I think the red light episodes got worse after that. I have hope that SW version 2.0.x could solve the problem?

I factory reset it a couple of times but it has not helped. It does not go back to the initial SW version, but remains at the latest updated version.

I'm also thinking that the battery may be an issue? I've manged a few times to complete 30-40 min runs and around a third of the battery remains, so I think it is OK. However, maybe there is a sudden voltage drop that blocks it? It could explain the issues while it is running, but while on the home base?

I purchased the i7 in the US but brought it overseas where I live, so no chance of returning it. :cry:
I contacted iRobot support and chatted to tech support, the ran the diagnostics but did not find anything wrong, however they did not see the partial runs either, so I assume they get erased with the red light error.
The local iRobot rep does not carry the i7 nor did they say they could service it.

I'm out of ideas and would appreciate any help in trying to troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks!
Derek
DerekM

Re: Roomba i7 Random Red Light Error

Postby vic7767 » April 30th, 2019, 12:38 am

Since the i7 seems to run well sometimes but not at other times it would help if we knew how to run the diagnostics right after a failure condition. I doubt that iRobot would share that procedure with us.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby leonicholson » April 30th, 2019, 11:40 am

I sometimes fear iRobot has joined the evergrowing trend towards disposable products.
Like $1,000 iPhones, etc.
Complex non-essential features are nice,but come with a cost.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby DerekM » May 1st, 2019, 12:38 pm

I've also opened the Roomba to see if there is something obviously wrong and made sure the battery was tight in case the vibration causes the terminals to make intermittent contact.
Does the i7 need a permanent Wifi connection to operate? Maybe a Wifi connect/disconnect causes some problem.
DerekM

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat