Any suggestions

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Any suggestions

Postby casondave » May 1st, 2019, 12:28 am

Hi Folks,

I have an old blue iRobot Roomba Series 400 that I have to manually charge by removing the battery and wiring it to the charger directly.

Granted it's an after market yellow powerextra battery and watch a bit when it runs but it's great it actually picks stuff up.

I also got another newer one from a buddy that's a Model 561 that's very pretty, and says nice things, and finds its way back to the charging station and everything but it sucks !

It sucks in as much as it doesn't suck - in fact I can watch it drive right over garlic skins or popcorn and it just leaves it and ignores it after 5 passes - is there anything i can do to make the newer one work as well as the old blue one?

Cheers'
Dave Cason
casondave

Re: Any suggestions

Postby leonicholson » May 1st, 2019, 9:31 am

Did the 561 pick up dust & hair?
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby George Jetson » May 18th, 2019, 3:28 pm

@CarsonDave
as leonicholson inquired, is it picking anything up?
Are the CHM brushes turning and the vacuum motor running?
If so, Does the dust bin have debris in it and is the filter capturing debris from the vacuum suction?
Dave

Rosie (Retired): Trusty 560 with numerous mods and hacks - Adopted 12/2007
Rosie 2.0: Bone stock 960 - Adopted 09/2018
George Jetson
Robot Groupie

Postby casondave » June 6th, 2019, 11:36 pm

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in the reply ......

Yep the 561 is getting hair and a few bits but it just seems to be half as strong as
that old blue 400 ..... I was wondering is there is a way to strip down the 561 and
"do something" to make it stronger ......

I have actually taken off the roller brushes and wire cage and all that stuff and
actually washed it all clean as a whistle and dried it and put it back together
with no improvement.

It seems to be about 30% for quality of suction compared to the old 400 which is
more like 95% ...... it's just not doing much IMHO.

Is there a way to improve on something inside it?

Cheers'
Dave
casondave

Postby vic7767 » June 7th, 2019, 12:09 am

Inside the dustbin is a filter. Is it clean? How much air do you feel exiting the dustbin vent when the Roomba is running?

It's possible that the brush deck gear assembly is full of dust and other debris causing the brushes to turn slower than designed.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Brett » June 7th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Look inside the dustbin - is the fan impeller clogged?
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!

Robot repair: www.qubot.com.au
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby George Jetson » June 8th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Part of the problem Dave is that we're dealing with two systems here: the Sweeper and the Vacuum. If you can narrow down the issue to one of those systems it will help in the troubleshooting (unless it's both obviously). :lol:
Dave

Rosie (Retired): Trusty 560 with numerous mods and hacks - Adopted 12/2007
Rosie 2.0: Bone stock 960 - Adopted 09/2018
George Jetson
Robot Groupie

Postby harby » June 11th, 2019, 11:38 am

Also, on the 400, the charging circuit has possibly been damaged, if neither a dock nor power adapter is charging the battery while in Roomba.

Here's a page with documentation of this issue, among many others in the forum https://www.vic7767.com/is-it-my-roomba-or-my-battery/

On the 500 series, see that you have an operating vacuum motor - Pull the dustbin off while the robot is running, and you should hear it become quieter, as you've got the vacuum motor in your hand. Then sneak your hand under the robot back and see/feel if both brushes are spinning.

The 561 likely has the two-level bin, where you first dump out the sweeping debris, and then open the hinged door for the filter vacuum chamber. Some don't even know to check the second. It sucks up better than the newer aerovac bins, as the vacuum is between two thin squeegees.
harby
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat