Roomba 880 Charging Error 1 Damaged Board

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 880 Charging Error 1 Damaged Board

Postby jwardwell7077 » May 4th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Hello everyone,

I found some good stuff on this forum that helped me reason through some issues throughout the years. But, this is the first time I'm posting.

I've got the charging 1 error, I was able to determine that it was not the thermal resistor following some posts on this forum. So, i decided to tear it down last night and look at the board. The evidence points to my daughter peeing on my roomba 880 she is 2, the mother board smells like urine, and the board is corroded in multiple places.

Note this is my first time doing something like this. I cleaned, fluxed, and re-soldered everything that visually looked bad. While, doing this I messed up; I should have been taking pictures or recording resistor values. Between where the two boards mate is where the most corrosion exists. When soldering R463 the resistor came off and it stuck to my soldering iron. The resistor value is no longer legible. Also, the solder pad on one side is completely corroded away. The through hole next to the pad is fine and I was hopping to find a resistor of the same value long enough to reach the through hole.

Is there anywhere online that has a close up image of the board for the 880 that has enough resolution to see the R463 resistor value?

Also, I'm looking for some advice on if what I'm trying to do is even worth it? I don't have any experience trying to salvage a board. This is literally my first time trying to solder something other than a perf board. Time isn't a specific issue, my semester just ended and I'm on summer break. Money is though, I don't have any spare cash to buy a new board and won't until my internship starts, towards the end of the month.

Thanks in advance
Jon
jwardwell7077

Re: Roomba 880 Charging Error 1 Damaged Board

Postby leonicholson » May 4th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Motherboards seem to cost at least as much as used Roombas. I recommend hunting a used unit on eBay and Craigslist, as you should have the charger already.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » May 4th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Surface mount is very hard to work on without the proper equipment. The manufactures use vapor phase reflow soldering machines to solder the entire board in one step. A typical soldering iron for reworking these boards have precision temperature control to prevent damage and cost at least $250. Rework is usually done with medium level magnification. Rework also requires super steady hands (which I definitely no longer have). Many manufacturers don't even consider reworking to be cost effective and just trash the bad boards.

But I don't want to discourage you as you can't make it too much worse than it seems to have already become. You may have to put jumper wires over the worst corroded traces. Hopefully someone can give you that resistor value.
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby a1robotrepair » May 4th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Completely remove the 2 boards and separate them from each other.
Get a bottle of 99.9% alcohol, electronics grade, found on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-9-Isopropanol-Laboratory-Grade/dp/B07FWC77SP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1TXJ3GRC6RL3Q&keywords=99.9+alcohol&qid=1557008466&s=gateway&sprefix=99.%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-5
Clean the boards in the appropriate areas with a baking soda paste and toothbrush.
Clean until solder joints are clean.
Rinse with water.
Shake off excess water, put the boards in a baking pan and cover with 99% alcohol for 10 minutes, lightly rolling the pan occasionally.
Put it back together and see what happens.
Search 880 BITS Built in Tests.
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby jwardwell7077 » May 5th, 2019, 5:32 pm

leonicholson wrote:Motherboards seem to cost at least as much as used Roombas. I recommend hunting a used unit on eBay and Craigslist, as you should have the charger already.

Thanks for the tip, looks like even the used roomba's aren't priced too bad. I did find a motherboard replacement on ebay my model actually isn't priced to bad. I found one for about 80.

RTC wrote:Surface mount is very hard to work on without the proper equipment. The manufactures use vapor phase reflow soldering machines to solder the entire board in one step. A typical soldering iron for reworking these boards have precision temperature control to prevent damage and cost at least $250. Rework is usually done with medium level magnification. Rework also requires super steady hands (which I definitely no longer have). Many manufacturers don't even consider reworking to be cost effective and just trash the bad boards.

But I don't want to discourage you as you can't make it too much worse than it seems to have already become. You may have to put jumper wires over the worst corroded traces. Hopefully someone can give you that resistor value.

Being a university student I have access to a lab with temperature controlled soldering irons, albiet I'm not sure if they are precision. I figured it was a crap shoot at this point so I'm hoping I can find that resistor value and attempt before replacing it as. The short trace to the through-hole is shot but the through-hole is still good I was able to scrape back the masking and flow some solder onto it.

a1robotrepair wrote:Completely remove the 2 boards and separate them from each other.
Get a bottle of 99.9% alcohol, electronics grade, found on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-9-Isopropanol-Laboratory-Grade/dp/B07FWC77SP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1TXJ3GRC6RL3Q&keywords=99.9+alcohol&qid=1557008466&s=gateway&sprefix=99.%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-5
Clean the boards in the appropriate areas with a baking soda paste and toothbrush.
Clean until solder joints are clean.
Rinse with water.
Shake off excess water, put the boards in a baking pan and cover with 99% alcohol for 10 minutes, lightly rolling the pan occasionally.
Put it back together and see what happens.
Search 880 BITS Built in Tests.

I have the boards separated and cleaned with isopropyl 90% and a electric toothbrush. I know the higher proof the better but it's what I had on hand. I had not known about using baking soda, in the future I'll try backing soda. At this point I have everything already cleaned. The corrosion wasn't nearly as bad as I had initially thought. Visually it looks like none of the traces are shot it was all surface minus the one pad, short trace to the through hole, and one of the plugs for the IR sensors.

I couldn't find one for the 880 but found one for the 700 series I will attempt this soon. I'm also plan to buy a serial cable.
Edit: couldn't find a bits for the 880 but found one for the 700 series.

Thanks for the tips guys!
jwardwell7077

Postby vic7767 » May 5th, 2019, 8:57 pm

There is no BiTs documents other than the iRobot 500 Service Manual. Monitoring the SCI port during the BiTs will provide you info about each test that can be accessed on each model from the 500 through 900 models.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat