980 self-mutilation

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

980 self-mutilation

Postby babakonda » May 4th, 2019, 7:44 pm

So I’ve had the 981 (Amazon’s version of 980) for a few months now. I imagined that, same as 880, when it gets stuck somewhere and doesn’t manage to free itself, it would give up, announce “I’m stuck” error and stop until I get to the rescue. Well, apparently not... as yesterday it got stuck as it ran against the bottom of my clothes horse. I saw an abnormal runtime in the app as I wasn’t home, and came to see that it tear down its tires to dust. If it didn’t run out of battery, it would be even worse. Wheels have now lost the grip too. I managed to clean it up with an air compressor after taking the wheel modules out, but I still feel some weird resistance while turning the wheels manually - as if some fine rubber dust got into the wheel shaft.

Here’s what it looked like
Image Image

All this “dust” is part of the, now scrubbed off, wheel. Both tires got damaged and visibly lost traction.
I still wonder why it didn’t stop in time, before it mutilated itself. Any ideas?
And yes, it seems I will be buying new wheel modules :(
babakonda
Robot Addict

Re: 980 self-mutilation

Postby gregj » May 5th, 2019, 11:44 am

wow!
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Postby leonicholson » May 5th, 2019, 12:38 pm

s-l1600.jpg
As far as the tires go, I "retreated" my 665 with a pair of these over the existing tires and a little rubber tire cement, but mine just had simple wear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Kirby- ... YdrfKEa01A
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » May 5th, 2019, 5:16 pm

babakonda wrote:I still wonder why it didn’t stop in time, before it mutilated itself. Any ideas?
And yes, it seems I will be buying new wheel modules :(

I had a problem where my 980 got stuck on a lawn chair's legs that I had in the living room for a while. As I recall the 980 tried climbing over the horizontal tube for well over 5 minutes before successfully getting traction on the carpet and finally making it over.

However I had a carpeted floor and yours is a smooth surfaced floor.

Also after getting free the 980 seemed a bit disoriented, doing the rest of the cycle at a significant angle to how it had been doing it before. I suspect it had miscounted wheel rotations and got its angular positioning off while stuck. However, just like yours it kept trying without stopping or detecting an error, but unlike yours there was no damage.

That lawn chair is now folded in a closet.
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby babakonda » May 5th, 2019, 6:20 pm

@leonicholson - thank you, but when I add shipping to Europe it would cost me almost as 2 new wheel modules.

@RTC, both wheels had no contact with the floor, they just kept rubbing themselves on white plastic parts on the clothes horse untilthe battery drained (ironically, those are factory installed there to prevent damaging the floor).
I remembered that this 981 got stuck on different places on several occasions in the past (nothing unexpected), but it stopped when it figured it had no floor contact. This time it continued for over an hour, apparently, based on time difference this time vs normal cleaning time.
880 had similar adventures in the past but it simply shuts off.

I have contacted iRobot USA and they advised to contact my local iRobot, which I will do next week.
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby leonicholson » May 5th, 2019, 8:01 pm

We used out 980 downstairs and it did tend to get hung up in places our 805 or 665 had no problems with. We finally moved it to our upstairs where there are fewer obstacles.
I feel it is associated with its parallel cleaning logic and the way it spins to disengage with obstacles.

My only solution so far with problem areas is to place sand filled umbrella bags in the places it seems to find every time.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21225&p=151474&hilit=barrier#p151474
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » May 6th, 2019, 12:47 am

I was actually siting in that lawn chair watching TV when the 980 got stuck, which is how I got to observe its troubles!

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby babakonda » May 6th, 2019, 3:15 am

leonicholson wrote:My only solution so far with problem areas is to place sand filled umbrella bags in the places it seems to find every time.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21225&p=151474&hilit=barrier#p151474

I actually had this printed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3258350
And I use it for the last month or so. But somehow forgot to place it.
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » May 6th, 2019, 7:18 am

Oh, my lawn chair has no plastic part. The tube the 980 got stuck on (temporarily) was only metal.

RTC
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat