980 will not return to the base after second pass.

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

980 will not return to the base after second pass.

Postby kuzynj » May 8th, 2019, 7:32 am

Hi
I am new 980 owner. Robot is working well. Starts when supposed to, vacuuming for almost 2h and returning to the base for charge. When is ready will resume the job and clean until battery is dead. Roomba will not return to the base after second part of the job. Is this behavior normal? Any suggestions?
kuzynj

Re: 980 will not return to the base after second pass.

Postby RTC » May 8th, 2019, 11:51 am

kuzynj wrote:Hi
I am new 980 owner. Robot is working well. Starts when supposed to, vacuuming for almost 2h and returning to the base for charge. When is ready will resume the job and clean until battery is dead. Roomba will not return to the base after second part of the job. Is this behavior normal? Any suggestions?

It is definitely NOT normal. I have a 980. When it runs low it is supposed to return and recharge then resume. It should not matter how many times.

If you take it home by hand and let it recharge does it run after that?

How long did it recharge the time it went back on its own, before it died? (this should take at least 45 minutes)
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » May 8th, 2019, 11:51 am

kuzynj wrote:Hi

It is definitely NOT normal. I have a 980. When it runs low it is supposed to return and recharge then resume. It should not matter how many times.

If you take it home by hand and let it recharge does it run after that?

How long did it recharge the time it went back on its own, before it died? (this should take at least 45 minutes)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby kuzynj » May 8th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Thank you for the answer.

When back, after first pass, it will charge for about 2h.

Yes, after home button is pressed it will return to the base.
kuzynj

Postby RTC » May 8th, 2019, 1:37 pm

kuzynj wrote:Thank you for the answer.

When back, after first pass, it will charge for about 2h.

Yes, after home button is pressed it will return to the base.

Charging for 2 hours is excessive in my opinion. My 980 always took 45 minutes to an hour.

Pressing home alone woke it up and it returned home from where it failed to complete?
Are you sure it did not report an error when it stopped? If the 980 stopped because of an error pressing clean (after correcting the cause of the error if necessary) will allow it to simply resume what it was doing.

My 980 has gotten stuck many times (even on the initial run) due to errors. As I have no Smartphone, I cannot run the app, so when I get an error requiring consulting the app, usually just pressing clean resumes things.

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby kuzynj » May 8th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Yes, my Roomba reports errors (when stuck under something) that's no problem. I just press clean and it's working again, like supposed to. Strange thing is - during second pass Roomba working until has juice in the battery.

Today, after second pass just returned to the base and finished the job :) Maybe it is okay now?

Keep you posted after few more cleanings.

Thank you for your help.
kuzynj

Postby RTC » May 8th, 2019, 3:14 pm

kuzynj wrote:Yes, my Roomba reports errors (when stuck under something) that's no problem. I just press clean and it's working again, like supposed to. Strange thing is - during second pass Roomba working until has juice in the battery.

I wasn't asking if it can give errors, I was asking if it had stopped in "second pass" because of an error. The 980 could then respond to keypresses.

If it had stopped in "second pass" because the battery died, pressing home could not make it go home (you would have to physically pick the dead 980 up, carry it home, and sit it on the charger!).

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby kuzynj » May 8th, 2019, 4:57 pm

I'm sorry. I was not clear.
No, it was no error - just empty battery and sure I pick it up and carry on to the base.

I'm wondering why something like that is happening?
Maybe somebody had similar experience.
kuzynj

Postby vic7767 » May 8th, 2019, 6:14 pm

The 980 uses a Lithium battery and the output energy is in a fairly straight line until voltage begins to drop off very fast at the end of capacity. The fast drop may cause the Roomba to not have the battery capacity to locate and park upon the base.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby leonicholson » May 8th, 2019, 6:20 pm

vic7767 wrote:... cause the Roomba to not have the battery capacity to locate and park upon the base.

I experienced that with mine a couple times when I first got it Too many obstacles in the last room it was cleaning.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » May 8th, 2019, 6:34 pm

kuzynj wrote:I'm sorry. I was not clear.
No, it was no error - just empty battery and sure I pick it up and carry on to the base.

OK, I thought you were saying it stopped on the second pass, but pressing home caused it to return home.

Also 2 hours to recharge between passes sounds excessive to me. Perhaps the battery has a problem and s/b replaced.

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby kuzynj » May 9th, 2019, 12:55 pm

I think new battery will help.
Voltage drop at the end make sense - I will let you know how it works on new battery.

Thank you for your help,
Regards,
kuzynj

Postby leonicholson » May 9th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Have you tried with "turbo" disabled? That might work with a weaker battery.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby kuzynj » May 9th, 2019, 1:02 pm

I will try next time.
Thank you for the suggestion.
kuzynj

Postby drunkpenguin » May 10th, 2019, 1:10 pm

My 960's been the same way for the last couple of weeks. It usually dies with an error 17 a few feet away from the charging station. Always does this on the 2nd run. It was fine for months prior. I'm wondering if a firmware update hasnt mucked it all up. It fails about every other run now.
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby RTC » May 10th, 2019, 3:25 pm

drunkpenguin wrote:My 960's been the same way for the last couple of weeks. It usually dies with an error 17 a few feet away from the charging station. Always does this on the 2nd run. It was fine for months prior. I'm wondering if a firmware update hasnt mucked it all up. It fails about every other run now.

He says it is not getting any error.

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby drunkpenguin » May 10th, 2019, 7:23 pm

OP might be getting an error without being aware of it. I didnt realize I had an error 17 until I just happened to be home today watching it. Previously I just came home and found it dead in the room. Today while it died it shouted out error 17. The app will give me a vague push notification saying something like roomba was unable to complete job, but doesnt list the error code (i dont think it did). Just saying, depending on circumstances maybe theres an error OP isnt aware of.
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby kuzynj » May 10th, 2019, 10:36 pm

It was no error at all. Just was vacuuming away from the base and suddenly stopped and said: battery dead. Please charge Roomba.
Never even tried return to the base.
I suspect battery.
kuzynj

Postby leonicholson » May 10th, 2019, 10:51 pm

My 980 hasn't had this problem, as it completes with its initial charge.

Yesterday I put in an older battery and it returned to the charger, recharged, finish vacuuming and returned to the charger.

Repeated again today.

Just did this to see if I could duplicate your experience, but encountered no problems.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » May 11th, 2019, 4:13 am

drunkpenguin wrote:OP might be getting an error without being aware of it. I didnt realize I had an error 17 until I just happened to be home today watching it. Previously I just came home and found it dead in the room.

I have been away and had to hunt for my 980 several times. But once found, pressing Clean once causes it to repeat the last verbal error message. Correct the problem and press Clean again causes resumption of the interrupted cycle.

But if battery died none of that can work.

RTC
Robot Addict

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat