New Roomba S9+ & Braava M6

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: New Roomba S9+ & Braava M6

Postby VACInc » May 30th, 2019, 6:27 pm

rotorwash wrote:Thats a good point about the rear climbing up. I ordered one yesterday no deals for loyal customer either. I will give it a full run down when I get it. It will need to handle long dog hair or it gets the boot back to iRobot like the i7 did.
I talked to the sales guy and a couple of things they changed like exhaust is not internalized like the i7 (what a dumb idea).
Also it has dual modes like the 980. Finally the dust bin is .5liters which people have been asking for a larger bin for years.

I actually had/have the same issue as you with the i7. I had a townhouse and it worked pretty much fine. Moved to a different place and it was clumps of hair galore. Unfortunately I was outside any return windows so I also attempted to pester iRobot. Got a new bin and a new extractor assembly to no avail. Debating bugging them one more time to see if it makes a difference to get a whole new bot before I give up.

I also ordered the S9+. Slightly disappointed the clean base isn't identical to that of the i7+. Also got a shipping notice but it's been "On its Way to UPS" for 24 hours now. @rotorwash you seeing the same?
VACInc

Postby rotorwash » May 30th, 2019, 7:24 pm

VACInc I actually really wanted it to work (the i7 that is) I called and complained and they also sent me the extractor assembly thinking I had a bad motor. This was because I kept telling them that the suction is the problem. The bot just couldn't pull the hair into the bin and relied on the extractors which usually just balled the hair up and spit it out.
They also had me reset the computer and supposedly they downloaded information from my bot.
Ultimately it was way past 30 days and I made them take it back since I was always trying something new under their direction or waiting for a part.
After it was sent back I asked if they looked it over and if they found anything wrong with it. Personally I don't think they did anything but they did tell me it was part of a bad batch and that the later versions worked much better. They even offered to sell me another i7 at a discount.

Even before sending it back (i7) I bought a costco 980(5) and would run them back to back. The 980 was way better and just packs the dirt and hair into the debris bin.
I will run the 980 against the S9 when it comes and report on it
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby VACInc » May 30th, 2019, 8:33 pm

rotorwash wrote:I will run the 980 against the S9 when it comes and report on it

Ditto and agreed. I'm thinking the same thing in regards to the i7. I'll be running the S9 into the ground for the 30 day "trial" period.
VACInc

Postby leonicholson » May 30th, 2019, 8:55 pm

VACInc wrote:
rotorwash wrote:I will run the 980 against the S9 when it comes and report on it

Ditto and agreed. I'm thinking the same thing in regards to the i7. I'll be running the S9 into the ground for the 30 day "trial" period.

Have either of you used an "old tech" 650 immediately after an i7 or 980 to determine the amount of hair left behind on low pile carpet?
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby VACInc » May 30th, 2019, 10:06 pm

leonicholson wrote:Have either of you used an "old tech" 650 immediately after an i7 or 980 to determine the amount of hair left behind on low pile carpet?

I have used a 700 and 800 series (which I believe is comparable to 650?) after my 980 and it didn't pick up much of anything. Though using them after the i7 I'd imagine the older model would definitely clean up more and maybe even better.

Not a horrible idea to do one after the other to help pickup those big globs of dog hair left over! Haha
VACInc

Postby leonicholson » May 30th, 2019, 11:11 pm

VACInc wrote:I have used a 700 and 800 series (which I believe is comparable to 650?)

I don't have a 700 series, but there are posts complaining about its suction compared to a 650. I think they share the same CHM but different bins. The 800 series share the extractors of the later models.
I ran an 805 for a week that captured a lot of dust and some hair, followed by one run of a 665 which picked up a lot of hair. Repeated the cycle with a 980 with about the same results.
I do recognize that the type of carpet could cause different results for different users, but it was apparent to me that the brush is more effective than extractors on carpet.
On our hard floors upstairs, the 980 works well and seems to pick up everything.
On our mixed floors, the 665 continues to pack the bin with unending dog hair. :)

It would be interesting to see how the S9's increased suction performs on carpet.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » May 31st, 2019, 4:16 am

have to say i really like the look of these new units. great bit of industrial design. very 1920s.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby rotorwash » May 31st, 2019, 7:31 am

leonicholson wrote:
VACInc wrote:

Have either of you used an "old tech" 650 immediately after an i7 or 980 to determine the amount of hair left behind on low pile carpet?

I got into bot-vacs with the 980 so I don't know about the 600's. The issue with brush rollers with long dog hair is that once the brush is full of hair they don't work any more. Trust me with two Goldens they fill the room with hair and those rollers would fill fast. Thats what I liked about the extractors.

I will run the 980 and the S9 every day switching from one vac to the other. I honestly think I will know with one run how well the new vac does. Our house also has various types of carpet so it will be a good test. Not like these reviews that run them on hard wood and say how great they work. (stepping off soapbox)
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby George Jetson » May 31st, 2019, 7:46 pm

I am somewhat ambivalent about the new design....
The round shape is a plus in tight quarters, but corners have always been Roombas' Achilles Heel IMO; I've used my canister vac to pre or post-treat corners from Day One.
The 30% wider brushes should allow the s9 to cover more ground in a shorter period of time, perhaps that's where iRobot found the horsepower to increase suction so significantly (without impacting run time I'm assuming). :confusion-shrug:
Biggest issue for me with the new linear pattern vacuuming is the current Side Brush/Edge Clean/Vacuuming Scheme: While my 960 does a better job of vacuuming than my old 560, it does leave behind more larger-sized debris. I put this down to the linear pattern vacuuming and the fact that the 960 performs its edge-cleaning routine last as its side brush will fling debris completely across the bot's face, out of the path of the oncoming brushes. At least with the older random foraging pattern - and its intermittent, random edge cleaning - you had the chance that the bot would eventually run across debris like this that was kicked out into the room.
What I'd really like to see is the bot perform edge cleaning in-between passes on the two-pass scheme, and have the side brush reverse its rotation on every pass so it was always pushing debris towards the wall the robot was working towards.
One can dream... :romance-cloud9:
Dave

Rosie (Retired): Trusty 560 with numerous mods and hacks - Adopted 12/2007
Rosie 2.0: Bone stock 960 - Adopted 09/2018
George Jetson
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » May 31st, 2019, 8:45 pm

Good luck with the purchasing and testing these new i7 and S9 Roombas. Now that they have either locked us out of the BiTs access or possibly even discontinued loading it into the firmware it seems after the warranty expires you are really out of luck and support in any type of trouble resolution.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby leonicholson » May 31st, 2019, 10:14 pm

vic7767 wrote:Now that they have either locked us out of the BiTs access or possibly even discontinued loading it into the firmware it seems after the warranty expires you are really out of luck and support in any type of trouble resolution.

Yeah, this is a real departure from iRobot's prior practice. Their business model seems to be changing to be more like a disposable cell phone company. I would hesitate to purchase an expensive appliance that I could not attempt repairs upon.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby gregj » June 1st, 2019, 11:37 am

And these prices, heh. I think my next robot is not going to be out of iRobot. Especially considering that this won't be available in the UK probably for another year. They are taking the mick.
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » June 1st, 2019, 6:25 pm

Really seems like revolution since 800's/300's
Self-clean home base seems redesigned too! (bye bye i7+'s), are disposable bags different too?

these rollers are GIANT! dustbin BIG! air duct ENORMOUS! mopping pad like a real MOP! now 800/900/e5/i7/240 looks like a "toy" in compare to this machine

wow, 'sucks' dirt in front like Neato!

"The Roomba s9+ goes for an eye-watering $1,299 with its Clean Base, while the Bravaa jet m6 is $499. Alternatively, you can snag the Roomba for $999 and pick up the Base separately later for $349. (In comparison, the Roomba i7+ costs $949 with its base.)"
https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/29/iro ... nN1X5qSj#/
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby Julian » June 2nd, 2019, 8:49 am

gregj wrote:And these prices, heh. I think my next robot is not going to be out of iRobot. Especially considering that this won't be available in the UK probably for another year. They are taking the mick.

On the European availability thing it looks as if they might have finally learned some lessons. From the iRobot 29th May press release ....

EMEA:
The Roomba s9+ robot vacuum with Clean Base™ Automatic Dirt Disposal will be available for purchase beginning July 12, 2019 in select European countries starting at €1,499.

Full press release here: http://media.irobot.com/2019-05-29-The- ... um-and-Mop

Admittedly that does depend on whether the EMEA release includes the UK. I'm in the UK and it's worrying that the EMEA release only gives a Euro price but at least until Brexit there should be no problem finding a reseller in an EU country that does have it to get it shipped to the UK.

As one of the biggest markets in the EU (at least for now) and not needing an extra translation from English for the user docs I would hope that the UK is going to be one of the countries included in the July 12 rollout.

- Julian
Julian
Robot Addict

Postby gregj » June 3rd, 2019, 4:06 am

It looks like the base still uses the bags. How on earth do they think this is ok in this day and age? I know these are americans, so they don't give a flying fart about planet - but most of the civilised world does.
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » June 3rd, 2019, 4:08 am

gregj wrote:It looks like the base still uses the bags. How on earth do they think this is ok in this day and age? I know these are americans, so they don't give a flying fart about planet - but most of the civilised world does.

yeah that is a real shame. would be great to have a washable, reusable bag. guess that's a revenue trickle they don't want to let go.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby Julian » June 3rd, 2019, 11:18 am

Botty wrote:
gregj wrote:It looks like the base still uses the bags. How on earth do they think this is ok in this day and age? I know these are americans, so they don't give a flying fart about planet - but most of the civilised world does.

yeah that is a real shame. would be great to have a washable, reusable bag. guess that's a revenue trickle they don't want to let go.

Yeah. Or a lift-out probably clear inner plastic bin in the base unit that could be emptied into the rubbish. Dyson have put a lot of thought and gone through a few rounds of design revisions for ways to empty the sealed bins in their hand-held cleaners into the rubbish without dust going everywhere so it's certainly doable.

I think you're right though, it's probably mostly about getting a revenue stream from the replaceable bags. A decent third-party market sprung up for more affordable replacement batteries. I wonder whether anyone will do a copy of these base station bags? The problem might be that at these prices for the robots themselves the volume is never going to be huge so maybe not a big enough replacement bag market to be worth a third party putting together a product. Also, are the bags the same between the i7+ and the s9? If not that makes it even less attractive for third-party suppliers.

- Julian
Julian
Robot Addict

Postby mofan » June 3rd, 2019, 4:00 pm

I can certainly understand the skepticism of the high price. I wouldn't pay $1300 for one of these roombas either, but millions of people must be willing, or Irobot would not be charging that much.

There are some compelling features in this new model though. The 30% wider brushes that get closer to the edge should make for better edge cleaning, and it also means that the robot can cover greater square footage with each pass, allowing the battery to either cover more ground or clean better (see below). The IEEE Spectrum article noted that the square shape also made it possible to fit the new 3d "time of flight" sensor into the front of the robot, which provides additional value both now and in the future. It seems as though that sensor allows the robot to actually "see" obstacles in front of it in a way not previously possible.

Another interesting tidbit about the square shape from Lance Ulanoff of PCMag:

"The larger size also accommodates bigger filters and a battery that’s twice as large as the most recent Roomba."

https://medium.com/@LanceUlanoff/with-roomba-s9-irobot-turns-an-important-corner-a79e11e380ad

If that is accurate that is an incredibly big upgrade in battery size, and makes the claimed improvements in cleaning power seem more plausible.

One last thing about the price- remember that the i7+ was originally $949 when introduced, but due to the China tariffs, the price went up to $1099. It is likely that if the tariffs are eliminated, the s9+ would drop to $1099 or $1149 and the s9 by itself would likely drop to $899. My own approach is to wait until it comes to Costco for $500 in 3-4 years.
mofan
Robot Groupie

Postby Botty » June 3rd, 2019, 4:16 pm

Yeah the price in the uk is nuts. £2200 for the s9+ and m6. The mrs would murder me in my sleep.
It’s just not justifiable imo, not when I got a brand new D7 from amazon on Black Friday for £399 and the s9 STILL doesn’t have no-go lines.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » June 3rd, 2019, 8:24 pm

mofan wrote:I can certainly understand the skepticism of the high price. I wouldn't pay $1300 for one of these roombas either, but millions of people must be willing, or Irobot would not be charging that much.

Personally, I think they're testing the waters to see how far they can push it. I don't think the $1,300 price point is sustainable for them in the long run, but we'll see.

mofan wrote:My own approach is to wait until it comes to Costco for $500 in 3-4 years.

That's probably a good approach. I feel like i7 early adopters got screwed after being led to believe the i7 would be the latest and greatest for a while. Three years elapsed between when the 980 and i7 were released, so it seemed like iRobot was adopting a slower release cycle for its flagship robots. As soon as the i7 came out, the price of the 980 tanked. Now that the s9 is here, the i7's price dropped too. So who knows? Maybe they'll come out with the c11, or whatever, seven months from now and the s9's price will drop too.
ps0001
Robot Addict

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat