Roomba 980 water damage

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 980 water damage

Postby Kelad » June 1st, 2019, 9:18 pm

Hi Everyone
took a punt and picked up a 2nd hand 980. I assume the unit sucked up water as the bin motor is not in good shape. The motherboard looks ok. I ran the BIT's - it only fails some of the 5,6,7,8 bumper tests (some sides are ok). There is some sign of water damage to the bumper IR leds.

Questions:
1) Is repair of the motor possible? or don't waste my time....
2) Can a 780 bumper module (with the IR leds) be put into a 980? - hopefully will fix BITs failures..
3) To lift the motherboard to get access to remove bumper module - I assume you remove 4 silver screws, 3 black screws and disconnect camera from motherboard... anything else to watch for?
4) can i replace 980 bin with 880 bin?

:thanks:
Attachments
980 motor.PNG
Kelad
Robot Groupie

Re: Roomba 980 water damage

Postby ps0001 » June 3rd, 2019, 12:19 am

1. I'd suggest looking for a replacement bin on eBay. It might be possible to replace the motor, but I vaguely remember reading about someone else going down that path, and it didn't work out.
3. iFixit has a pretty good guide: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iRobot+Roo ... ent/100170
4. Unfortunately, no. You specifically need a 980 bin.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby Kelad » June 8th, 2019, 4:49 am

Thanks ps0001
I found out myself that a 780 bumper IR array will not fit in the 980 :thumbdown: The 980 has an extra IR pair on the left side. So I am trying to fix the 980 bumper IR array, as I have some spare led pairs.

Of the 7 IR pairs, 3 pairs fail the BITs. Using my phone camera, I can see that the senders of these 3 pairs are not emitting light. I traced the wiring in the bumper and it appears these 3 are wired up in series from the 6 pin plug.

This bot motherboard has seen a little water damage....from your experience could one IR pair bring down the rest or maybe i have a problem with the supply. It does seem co-incidence that every 2nd pair is NOK..... could i take power from the same core used to power the other 4 or maybe i try changing the 1st LED?

Kelad
Robot Groupie

Postby RTC » June 8th, 2019, 5:07 am

Kelad wrote:I traced the wiring in the bumper and it appears these 3 are wired up in series from the 6 pin plug.

In a series circuit, any failed lamp or broken connection extinguishes all the lamps. I would not replace any LEDs until I had determined there were no open traces or plated through holes.

Testing LEDs for a failure is easy with an ohmmeter, they conduct with moderate resistance in one direction (and will light during this test) and they do not conduct (or light) in the other direction. The fact than an ohmmeter test will light a good LED is probably the simplest and most reliable, as the meter's ohm measurement may be reading "back circuit" resistance from the drivers.
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby Kelad » June 8th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Thanks RTC, tested all IR leds as you suggested. Forward voltage drop on all 3 were approx same (i.e 0.993 V), which matches a spare I have.....so I assume this leads me back to the 980 motherboard :-(

At this stage I am assuming the motherboard is not putting out the supply....anymore tips?
Kelad
Robot Groupie

Postby Kelad » June 9th, 2019, 1:03 am

Took some more measurements.
1) Measurements for a working IR led
* with bot not awake --> voltage across led = 0.68V (cannot see led ON with camera)
* with bot awake (press clean button to wake it) --> voltage across led = 0.76V and you can see the led ON with camera.

2) Measurements for a NOT working IR led
* with bot not awake --> voltage across led = 0.68V
* with bot awake (press clean button to wake it) --> voltage across led = 0.68V and you cannot see the led ON with camera.
Kelad
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat