i7 Exchange for s9 Promotion

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

i7 Exchange for s9 Promotion

Postby BoxerBoi76 » June 14th, 2019, 4:55 pm

After several cases with iRobot, I was told this last week “We have an ongoing promotion for Roomba i7 customers that have purchased the Robots within 6 months from iRobot or an Authorized Retailer to be returned for a full credit to purchase the Roomba S9.”

I’m planning on returning my i7’s in exchange for s9’s.
BoxerBoi76

Re: i7 Exchange for s9 Promotion

Postby Foster6565 » June 14th, 2019, 7:55 pm

How does that work? I messaged them and didnt get that answer?
Foster6565

Postby alvin » June 14th, 2019, 10:14 pm

When I called, they said it has to be purchased from iRobot
alvin

Postby BoxerBoi76 » June 14th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Foster6565 wrote:How does that work? I messaged them and didnt get that answer?
After I inquired, I received this, “You will have to contact us to have a phone interaction to receive further instructions about the upgrade.”
BoxerBoi76

Postby BoxerBoi76 » June 14th, 2019, 10:19 pm

alvin wrote:When I called, they said it has to be purchased from iRobot
Yes, here’s the process as explained to me. If you’ve purchased an i7 less than six months ago, you can return it to the place of purchase as long as it’s an authorized dealer and get your full purchase price back. You then have to purchase the s9 from iRobot.
BoxerBoi76

Postby Julian » June 15th, 2019, 11:58 am

Is this US only or are any of you folks in other countries? Is it actually available anywhere other than the USA yet? I suppose given that July 12th is the official release date in Europe maybe they wouldn't be talking about it over here yet but if it's being done in the USA then perhaps there's hope for us in EMEA.

Looking at my receipts I see that I actually bought my i7+ from a third party not direct from iRobot but a quick internet search revealed that it is one of the 9 official resellers in the UK (https://www.irobot.co.uk/store/where-to-buy) so if the same promo gets to the UK then it looks as if I might be OK.

I must say that I think it's pretty decent of iRobot to do this. OK, it was a bit wierd that after years of somewhat incremental updates all of a sudden we get i7+ and s9+ in such close succession but early adopters really should know that there is always a risk of something like that happening. One can't really expect a company to either delay something really hot to give the previous new product more time in the spotlight if competitors are snapping at their heels, or start leaking the very latest upcoming product and kill sales of what was just released, so stuff like the i7+/s9+ thing can happen on occasion. Such a painless upgrade would be a huge bonus for me. If they do give the UK that offer I'd probably even stock up on a load of spare bags at the high prices on the official store before switching to buying the much cheaper no-name copies as a thank you to iRobot!

- Julian
Julian
Robot Addict

Postby Foster6565 » June 15th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Contacted irobot via phone and was told they can only honor on a case by case basis but it MUST be purchased from there website. If I wanted to try the exchange personally I'd need to contact the retailer I purchased from which was bestbuy. So I contacted bestbuy and the department I need to speak to is currently closed.
Foster6565

Postby alvin » June 15th, 2019, 10:29 pm

BoxerBoi76 wrote:
Yes, here’s the process as explained to me. If you’ve purchased an i7 less than six months ago, you can return it to the place of purchase as long as it’s an authorized dealer and get your full purchase price back. You then have to purchase the s9 from iRobot.

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense - retailers aren't going to take it back with the exception of Bed Bath and Beyond...
alvin

Postby BoxerBoi76 » June 16th, 2019, 11:37 am

alvin wrote:
BoxerBoi76 wrote:

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense - retailers aren't going to take it back with the exception of Bed Bath and Beyond...
Well that is exactly what the email from customer service stated. Return to place of purchase.

Perhaps this wasn’t well thought out by iRobot.
BoxerBoi76

Postby leonicholson » June 16th, 2019, 11:56 am

Wonder what the posts will look like when iRobot announces the next instant obsolesce model?
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby BoxerBoi76 » June 16th, 2019, 12:44 pm

leonicholson wrote:Wonder what the posts will look like when iRobot announces the next instant obsolesce model?
No idea. I’ve had multiple cases open over the last four months and none have resolved my core issues. Each time I was told to basically wait for the next firmware. While 2.0.9 has improved things considerably. It hasn’t fixed the issues around both of my i7’s not performing its basic function - which is to vacuum up debris. After reviewing the comparison between the i7 and s9 I asked the support tech if I could exchange mine for two s9’s due to the issues documented with mine. She escalated and the next day I received the email I posted about the “promotion”.

Note: I also did my own tests with Cheerios, crushed salt and dried shredded coconut (at iRobot’s request) and it wasn’t pretty.
BoxerBoi76

Postby jdong » June 16th, 2019, 4:28 pm

FYI zero luck with this "promotion" -- tried to return to Bed Bath, was told the electronics return window was 90 days, not 6 months, and they were unaware of any sort of upgrade program promotion. The cashiers really wanted to help and tried to process the return in many different ways, but they did not succeed -- the cash register system did not permit it.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » June 17th, 2019, 9:23 am

leonicholson wrote:Wonder what the posts will look like when iRobot announces the next instant obsolesce model?

This move really surprised me. The 980 was the flagship for so long, then the i7 came along three years later with just modest improvements. I really thought that was going to be iRobot's MO: new flagship models every couple of years with good, but modest improvements. I can't speak for everyone, but the s9 completely blindsided me. I wouldn't have purchased the i7 if I knew the s9 was on the horizon.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » June 17th, 2019, 9:24 am

jdong wrote:FYI zero luck with this "promotion" -- tried to return to Bed Bath, was told the electronics return window was 90 days, not 6 months, and they were unaware of any sort of upgrade program promotion. The cashiers really wanted to help and tried to process the return in many different ways, but they did not succeed -- the cash register system did not permit it.

I've learned that iRobot, understandably, has a little more leeway than retailers. I'd bet you'll have more success complaining directly to them.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby alvin » June 17th, 2019, 9:26 am

jdong wrote:FYI zero luck with this "promotion" -- tried to return to Bed Bath, was told the electronics return window was 90 days, not 6 months, and they were unaware of any sort of upgrade program promotion. The cashiers really wanted to help and tried to process the return in many different ways, but they did not succeed -- the cash register system did not permit it.

Looks like BBB changed their policy. It's a shame but I suppose the old policy was way too forgiving on Roomba.
alvin

Postby gregj » June 19th, 2019, 3:55 am

Given the margin, when buying direct - no surprises. They sell to shops for at most half the sticker price.
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat