Can S9 vacuum North/South?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Can S9 vacuum North/South?

Postby Superdog » June 17th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Hello,

I just picked up an S9 a few days ago. I like how it vacuums in traditional rows, instead of the random circular pattern of the old generation, but it always vacuums east/west. Is there a way to have it vacuum North/South? I have tried moving the docking station around to a few different locations but it always winds up going east/west. I like having the tracks appear North/South as that is how I have vacuumed in the past with a conventional upright.

What about yours? Is it also going east/west?
Superdog

Re: Can S9 vacuum North/South?

Postby bytemaster0 » June 17th, 2019, 6:05 pm

It goes along the longest dimension of the room. Cardinal direction doesn't matter, just room aspect/layout.
bytemaster0

Postby BoxerBoi76 » June 17th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Superdog wrote:Hello,

I just picked up an S9 a few days ago. I like how it vacuums in traditional rows, instead of the random circular pattern of the old generation, but it always vacuums east/west. Is there a way to have it vacuum North/South? I have tried moving the docking station around to a few different locations but it always winds up going east/west. I like having the tracks appear North/South as that is how I have vacuumed in the past with a conventional upright.

What about yours? Is it also going east/west?
Perhaps submit a feature request?

Note: I’ve noticed on the i7, if I set it to perform two passes during a cleaning, it will vacuum in the other direction such that I have a # pattern when done.
BoxerBoi76

Postby RTC » June 17th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Hmmm..... The 980 does both perpendicular directions.
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » June 17th, 2019, 10:53 pm

bytemaster0 wrote:It goes along the longest dimension of the room. Cardinal direction doesn't matter, just room aspect/layout.

Hmmm..... So he has to rotate his house to get the direction he wants? That seems a bit impractical! :shock: :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby gregj » June 19th, 2019, 3:56 am

doubt it has compass built in.
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » June 19th, 2019, 8:38 am

gregj wrote:doubt it has compass built in.

Of course not. A previous post said that it follows the long direction only.
Apparently the long direction in the original poster's house is east/west.
So I was (jokingly) suggesting he had to rotate his house to make the long direction north/south to get the Roomba S9 to sweep the direction he prefers.

RTC
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat