Roomba S9 lid feels flimsy

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba S9 lid feels flimsy

Postby ctnguye3 » June 18th, 2019, 8:32 am

I just purchased both the Roomba S9 and Braava M6. I noticed on the Roomba S9, the lid doesn't pop up and the latch doesn't have a nice click when closing it compared to my Braava. It also unlatched once when it got stuck while cleaning. This isn't an issue while its cleaning because of the weight of the lid keeping it down but it just feels flimsy compared to my Braava. Does anyone have this same issue? Just wondering if this is by design or if its just my unit.
ctnguye3

Re: Roomba S9 lid feels flimsy

Postby Tripmeister » June 20th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Seems relatively flimsy to me as well, haven't seen it unlatch during cleaning yet though.
Tripmeister

Postby davey0728 » June 24th, 2019, 11:49 pm

Guys I just received my S9+ today and before it would even vacuum it was telling me to close the lid when the lid was already closed! The only way I could get it to start cleaning was to hold down the lid and then let go once it began so yes the lid is very flimsy at least on the robot I received. Sending it back and getting one replacement and if the lid feels even near as flimsy as this one then I'm done with the S9
davey0728

Postby ctnguye3 » June 25th, 2019, 8:40 am

davey0728 wrote:Guys I just received my S9+ today and before it would even vacuum it was telling me to close the lid when the lid was already closed! The only way I could get it to start cleaning was to hold down the lid and then let go once it began so yes the lid is very flimsy at least on the robot I received. Sending it back and getting one replacement and if the lid feels even near as flimsy as this one then I'm done with the S9

Hmm I'm not experiencing that issue. It has unlatched only twice when it got stuck in my sliding door tracks. I had to get a virtual wall barrier so it didn't vacuum in that area. Also when I wiped down the unit and flipped it sideways, the lid did unlatched.

Long term, I can see this being an issue, especially for people without the Dirt disposal and having to consistently open the lid to clean out their bins. Everything else about the unit (except maybe the sweeping brushes bending) is high quality, I'm surprise (especially for the price we paid), they didn't have a better solution for the lid...or at least have one similar to the Braava m6, which is more durable.

On a side note, there is a software bug on the Braava M6 where it says the lid is open on the app even though it is close, but this doesn't affect the unit and you can still remotely set it to clean. When it comes back to the dock, the warning message goes away...until the next time you open the lid to refill the cleaning solution.
ctnguye3

Postby Julian » June 26th, 2019, 4:30 am

ctnguye3 wrote:...
Long term, I can see this being an issue, especially for people without the Dirt disposal and having to consistently open the lid to clean out their bins. Everything else about the unit (except maybe the sweeping brushes bending) is high quality, I'm surprise (especially for the price we paid), they didn't have a better solution for the lid...or at least have one similar to the Braava m6, which is more durable.

That pretty much sums it up for me. Those are the two issues that stick out the most for me and both potentially have "countermeasures" such that neither will stop me going ahead with an S9+ purchase.

On the lid I do intend to get the dirt disposal base which as you say means the lid isn't opened and closed much so if it comes to it am willing to even tape or blutac down the lid on the basis that I will probably only need to open it about once a month.

For the side brushes I can't see any realistic fix the user could do right now (replacing them every few runs I don't consider a realistic fix due to cost) but with so much feedback I'm hoping that iRobot might improve the build quality and/or tweak the design a bit in which case the brush is a cheapish user replaceable part so that replaceability is the countermeasure there I suppose if iRobot do do something.
Julian
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat