S9 side brush

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

S9 side brush

Postby Rift » June 21st, 2019, 11:07 pm

Is anyone else noticing the side brush on the S9+ getting mangled when it comes back to the clean base? Iv seen a few reports where people are saying it’s the carpet that’s mangled it but from what I can see it gets caught up due to friction from the silicone when coming back to the clean base.

This couldn’t have been missed during testing because it’s so blatantly obvious when it happens.

https://ibb.co/vLdWQZV

https://ibb.co/FKPPZTG

https://ibb.co/gTJVxrR

The last image is the way it should be sitting but I had to unfurl it in order for it to sit that way.
Rift

Re: S9 side brush

Postby Transammatt » June 22nd, 2019, 12:24 am

I think they rushed it to market. Mine was messed up after the first run. I called iRobot about it not moving well on carpet, told them about the side brush, they said it is normal.
Transammatt

Postby piokrza » June 23rd, 2019, 12:16 pm

They will re-design it in the next Roomba gen next year...stay tuned! Until then, get rid of old fashion carpet across your home. At now area rug & hard floor rules.
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby RTC » June 23rd, 2019, 6:34 pm

piokrza wrote:They will re-design it in the next Roomba gen next year

Would that be the S9.2 or S10? :) :? :lol:
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » June 24th, 2019, 8:02 am

It'll be called the f11. It will feature a stronger side brush and a pentagonal shape. It will cost $2,200 and its Clean Base and extractors will be incompatible with either the i7 or s9. Keep an eye out for it in stores as soon as the return period for the s9 is over. :P
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » June 24th, 2019, 11:47 pm

ps0001 wrote:It will cost $2,200

Does it come gold or platinum plated??!!??

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » June 25th, 2019, 8:34 am

RTC wrote:Does it come gold or platinum plated??!!??

Even better, a coated plastic that highlights the smallest of scratches!
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » June 25th, 2019, 10:32 am

ps0001 wrote:
RTC wrote:Does it come gold or platinum plated??!!??

Even better, a coated plastic that highlights the smallest of scratches!

My 980 already does THAT! At least it only has one of them in the camera window.

Replaced my failing $150 couch with a new modular $2000 couch to prevent any more damage to the 980!

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby leonicholson » June 25th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Transammatt wrote:I called iRobot about it not moving well on carpet, told them about the side brush, they said it is normal.

I guess "normal" is the new term for "it's now your problem".
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby Julian » June 26th, 2019, 4:49 am

With all the tinkerers on this forum I wonder if anyone has been tempted to try to graft a 900 or i-series side brush onto an s9! The official s9 side brush, once the bristles are cut off, supplies the hub and screw for attaching to the robot in a way that would not void any warranty. I suspect that because of the way the s9 bristles face downwards an older brush would not reach the ground and would simply spin in the air but maybe using a longer fixing screw (of the same diameter as the original screw) and using some spacers (e.g. washers) to space the side brush slightly down from the base of the robot such that it does contact the ground might solve that issue.

Whether it would work any better than a damaged official s9 side brush is another matter but it might be an interesting experiment, one that I might try myself when I get an s9 and once I get a feel for how quickly my side brush is getting trashed in my environment.
Julian
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat