Keep out zones

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Keep out zones

Postby Transammatt » June 27th, 2019, 11:35 pm

Keep out zones coming soon to the s9 and braava m6. Already available for the i7 under smart maps. A software update come out yesterday for the i7 to include the keep out zones. This is great news for iRobot fans.
Go to YouTube and watch vacuum wars channel for more info. Watch his m6 updated review.
Matt
Transammatt
 
Posts: 42
Joined: February 25th, 2017, 9:47 am

Re: Keep out zones

Postby BoxerBoi76 » June 28th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Transammatt wrote:Keep out zones coming soon to the s9 and braava m6. Already available for the i7 under smart maps. A software update come out yesterday for the i7 to include the keep out zones. This is great news for iRobot fans.
Go to YouTube and watch vacuum wars channel for more info. Watch his m6 updated review.
Matt
I see that firmware 2.6.13 is now out and that’s the version with “keep out zones”. Will probably have to wait several months before it’s pushed to both of my i7’s.
BoxerBoi76
 
Posts: 38
Joined: June 9th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Re: Keep out zones

Postby Transammatt » June 28th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Ya I know. Why does it take so long to get a update. I still do not have the last update a month ago.
Transammatt
 
Posts: 42
Joined: February 25th, 2017, 9:47 am

Re: Keep out zones

Postby ps0001 » June 28th, 2019, 10:00 pm

I spoke with iRobot's customer support last week and I was told I need to keep my robot on the dock for a day or two for it to receive any new updates. I don't really know why that's necessary--I only run mine once a day anyway--but I'm going to give it a shot starting today.
ps0001
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 202
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Re: Keep out zones

Postby BoxerBoi76 » June 29th, 2019, 9:52 am

ps0001 wrote:I spoke with iRobot's customer support last week and I was told I need to keep my robot on the dock for a day or two for it to receive any new updates. I don't really know why that's necessary--I only run mine once a day anyway--but I'm going to give it a shot starting today.
I’ve left my second i7 on its dock for more than a month (long story), it has excellent WiFi and still hasn’t received the new firmware. Previously, I had to open two cases, with the second case having to demand they push the latest firmware upgrade which finally happened - in less than 24hrs of that demand, I had 2.0.9 pushed to both.

From talking to others, that’s what it seems to take to get the upgrades.
BoxerBoi76
 
Posts: 38
Joined: June 9th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Re: Keep out zones

Postby ps0001 » June 29th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Thanks for sharing that. I'll give iRobot a call in the next couple of days if I don't get the update by then--and it sounds like I won't judging by your experience.
ps0001
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 202
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Re: Keep out zones

Postby BoxerBoi76 » June 29th, 2019, 2:54 pm

ps0001 wrote:Thanks for sharing that. I'll give iRobot a call in the next couple of days if I don't get the update by then--and it sounds like I won't judging by your experience.
I heard back via email that “we can’t push firmware updates to devices as our process has now changed for this update”, blah, blah, blah.

I replied stating that I know they can push out the update considering a dozen or so friends I talked to on Reddit called in and had it pushed to their devices. Got a reply minutes later stating “I will have a request sent to the app team to try and have the update pushed to your two robots. I will provide an update as soon as possible.”.

Will keep you posted.
BoxerBoi76
 
Posts: 38
Joined: June 9th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Re: Keep out zones

Postby ps0001 » June 29th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Thanks. I actually said something similar when I spoke with them, but they said those people had some other issue with their robots that interfered with updates, which is why they pushed the updates to them. I'll be more assertive next time.
ps0001
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 202
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Re: Keep out zones

Postby BoxerBoi76 » July 1st, 2019, 6:31 pm

ps0001 wrote:Thanks. I actually said something similar when I spoke with them, but they said those people had some other issue with their robots that interfered with updates, which is why they pushed the updates to them. I'll be more assertive next time.
This morning both of my i7’s received 2.6.13.

Trying to configure two keep out zones is a huge pain when the two objects are spaced out in the room and sitting at an angle. Will take a lot of trial and error.
BoxerBoi76
 
Posts: 38
Joined: June 9th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Re: Keep out zones

Postby Foster6565 » July 1st, 2019, 10:35 pm

Just received the new update with keep out zones. My i7+ is navigating a bit differently, hopefully for the better and the no go zones seem pretty simple.

Update: first test run it was able to clean my entry way and dining room about 5-6 minutes faster.
Foster6565
 
Posts: 9
Joined: June 11th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Re: Keep out zones

Postby Transammatt » July 1st, 2019, 11:26 pm

That is great to hear. I really need this on my s9.
Transammatt
 
Posts: 42
Joined: February 25th, 2017, 9:47 am

Re: Keep out zones

Postby Botty » July 2nd, 2019, 3:43 am

can you make the 'zones' thin enough they act like lines?
Botty
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 260
Joined: August 27th, 2018, 9:53 am

Re: Keep out zones

Postby Rift » July 2nd, 2019, 12:01 pm

Would someone be willing to post a screenshot of how this is setup? Its interesting that the flagship i9 doesn't have this yet. They must not be 100% confident in the navigation yet.
Rift
 
Posts: 5
Joined: June 21st, 2019, 10:56 pm

Re: Keep out zones

Postby BoxerBoi76 » July 2nd, 2019, 5:13 pm

Botty wrote:can you make the 'zones' thin enough they act like lines?
Keep out zones are currently limited to squares/rectangles so you could in theory make a long thin rectangle.

You can create overlapping keep out zones to create the specific shape you’re looking for (for the most part anyway).

https://homesupport.irobot.com/app/answ ... ut%20zones
BoxerBoi76
 
Posts: 38
Joined: June 9th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Re: Keep out zones

Postby BoxerBoi76 » July 2nd, 2019, 5:23 pm

Rift wrote:Would someone be willing to post a screenshot of how this is setup? Its interesting that the flagship i9 doesn't have this yet. They must not be 100% confident in the navigation yet.
Keep out zones are setup in the Smart Maps section.
Attachments
B62A6BD7-DDC5-4453-849C-FBF8F48523BF.png
The pink squares are two keep out zones I created for two chairs that sit at an angle to each other.

One “issue” is that you cannot rotate the keep out zone to better align with an object like my two chairs (their base isn’t four legs - they have a sloping curved base that is square in the front and back but the middle slopes up to attach to the chair) that Roomba always gets stuck on.
BoxerBoi76
 
Posts: 38
Joined: June 9th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Re: Keep out zones

Postby Botty » July 3rd, 2019, 3:51 am

be better to have lines imo, but better than nothing
Botty
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 260
Joined: August 27th, 2018, 9:53 am

Re: Keep out zones

Postby BoxerBoi76 » July 3rd, 2019, 3:17 pm

Botty wrote:be better to have lines imo, but better than nothing
You can get close to that by stretching out the square where it’s a thin rectangle.

Supposedly, the ability to create free-form keep out zones are coming in a future update.
BoxerBoi76
 
Posts: 38
Joined: June 9th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Re: Keep out zones

Postby Botty » July 4th, 2019, 2:56 am

BoxerBoi76 wrote:
Botty wrote:be better to have lines imo, but better than nothing
You can get close to that by stretching out the square where it’s a thin rectangle.

Supposedly, the ability to create free-form keep out zones are coming in a future update.

ah cool, that's i was wondering above
Botty
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 260
Joined: August 27th, 2018, 9:53 am

Re: Keep out zones

Postby gregj » July 4th, 2019, 4:46 am

I still see no technical reason they couldn't do it on roomba 9XX
meep
User avatar
gregj
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 200
Joined: November 15th, 2013, 3:57 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Keep out zones

Postby Botty » July 4th, 2019, 5:57 am

gregj wrote:I still see no technical reason they couldn't do it on roomba 9XX

no persistent mapping?
Botty
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 260
Joined: August 27th, 2018, 9:53 am

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KeldBroe, Per L and 115 guests