s9 mapping dumber?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

s9 mapping dumber?

Postby rotorwash » June 28th, 2019, 10:47 am

I have had my s9 for about a month and really run it hard. I have come to the conclusion that its not very smart mapping. Example I found it once between the counter and a virtual wall barrier just banging into the counter for 10 minutes till I finally pushed it away.
Our bedroom usually takes 20+ minutes to clean with the i7 and the 980. The s9 takes over an hour and requires a charge.
I will say the s9 cleans the best. I just think the mapping isn't the best. Not sure if its the D shape. Any thoughts?
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Re: s9 mapping dumber?

Postby bytemaster0 » June 28th, 2019, 2:13 pm

I had mentioned some of this in my updated review on another thread here, but yes. When it gets lost, the S9 starts banging around at things for a while. The training runs are really difficult to watch, as it has to knock against stuff to better figure out their shapes - it has to wedge itself into places much more than the round bots do. That said, I've been running both an i7 and an S9, and they both work quite efficiently on their floorplans, might be best to do a new training run?
bytemaster0

Re: s9 mapping dumber?

Postby Julian » June 29th, 2019, 7:10 am

From reading all the reports here my impression is that iRobot is still building expertise and experience with the new D shape. A lot of the issues seem to be with its escape strategies when it gets into tight corners and that requires more sophistication compared to pretty much a single spin-on-axis strategy for a circular robot.

It feels to me like someone who, after years of driving a compact, has just upgraded their car to something much bigger and now needs to adjust to a different turning circle and side clearances in order to park in tight spots (or just bash against the bumpers of the cars next to it to get into a tight parking space which effectively seems to be what the s9+ sometimes does at the moment!).

Hopefully iRobot will develop its d-shape algorithms a lot as time goes on and this will become a transient problem that early adopters have to live through. (I wonder if iRobot tried (and succeeded in) poaching any technical staff from Neato or if their engineers are having to learn all their D-shaped escape algorithms for themselves.)
Julian
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat