S9+ - Has anyone noticed this?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

S9+ - Has anyone noticed this?

Postby hourobotguy » July 3rd, 2019, 11:51 am

It bumps into walls crazy hard. My i7+ and 980 used to slow down right before. This one, not so much.
I've had it for three weeks, but I had to go visit the in-laws in Europe and never got the chance to play with it. I broke it out today and had to contact robot because there's white paint on the front from the hits on first use. I have a video for comparison.
roombaissue.mov
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 560 times
hourobotguy

Re: S9+ - Has anyone noticed this?

Postby Transammatt » July 3rd, 2019, 12:18 pm

Yes I few people complain about how hard it hits walls and chairs. iRobot should be able to help you out.
Mine works like my 980 and i7 did, slows down first before hitting the wall.
Transammatt

Postby hourobotguy » July 3rd, 2019, 12:42 pm

They are sending a replacement. Hopefully that one works out wonderfully!
hourobotguy

Postby Transammatt » July 3rd, 2019, 1:56 pm

Please let me know?
I had mine replaced because it would not move on thick carpet.
Transammatt

Postby BoxerBoi76 » July 3rd, 2019, 3:22 pm

hourobotguy wrote:They are sending a replacement. Hopefully that one works out wonderfully!
They're replacing it because it’s slamming into walls? If it’s the white paint, a magic eraser sponge takes that right off!

The latest firmware update fixes the slamming into things - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21442 - scroll to the bottom.
BoxerBoi76

Postby Rift » July 3rd, 2019, 4:47 pm

Mine slows down before bumping into things. Definitely sounds like there was something wrong with the one you had hopefully the replacement doesn't have any issues.

They have definitely had some out of the gate production issues with these but when they work there working great so far.

My only real complaint is the terrible side brush design. They need to use a higher durometer rubber for the flexible sections on the arms the current ones are way to soft, and it essentially cloapses on itself when going over carpets or going up onto the dock. Hopefully a new design comes out soon.
Rift

Postby BoxerBoi76 » July 3rd, 2019, 7:08 pm

Rift wrote:Mine slows down before bumping into things.
What firmware version is yours on? iRobot fixed the slamming issue in 1.14.22.
BoxerBoi76

Postby TheStriker095 » July 3rd, 2019, 7:41 pm

I am running the latest firmware 1.14.22 and am still experiencing this same issue as well. iRobot is so confident its not a software issue rather a defective unit and has now replaced 4 units in an effort to fix this for me.

All 4 units functioned as intended immediately after a reboot (hold clean for 10 seconds) however after about 45-60 minutes the robot returns to ramming into walls and furniture at full force.
TheStriker095

Postby Kz1s » July 3rd, 2019, 8:03 pm

Wow 4 units and it’s still a problem. At that point I’d say it’s not hardware and definitely software. Doesn’t the s9 have a “new” 3D sensor to detect obstacles 25 times a second?
I’m having the same issue but believed it would correct via software updates. I’m on .22 as well.
Kz1s

Postby Kz1s » July 3rd, 2019, 10:04 pm

Alrighty. So I tried your restart idea and sure enough it doesn’t slam into the walls for a while. Then about 30-40 minutes go by and bam it’s backing to hitting them. This is weird. I emailed and sent a video to iRobot. So now they are getting with their “team” to investigate and let me know.
Kz1s

Postby TheStriker095 » July 3rd, 2019, 10:16 pm

Kz1s wrote:Alrighty. So I tried your restart idea and sure enough it doesn’t slam into the walls for a while. Then about 30-40 minutes go by and bam it’s backing to hitting them. This is weird. I emailed and sent a video to iRobot. So now they are getting with their “team” to investigate and let me know.

They are going to try and offer a replacement, DO NOT ACCEPT IT. There is either an issue with the software that can be fixed or a hardware issue with every s9 and the "new" 3D sensor. iRobot needs to get it together for how much they are charging for this machine. I *almost* decided to return mine and go with a Roborock s6 but decided not to since I do (typically) prefer a premium quality brand.
TheStriker095

Postby Kz1s » July 4th, 2019, 12:19 am

Yeah... I think submitting a video both pre and post restart would be helpful for them to understand exactly what’s happening. It’s as if the robot turns off the sensor after a while and never flips it back on.

Honestly if this debris extractor module does not fix the noise I’ve been having I’ll be requesting a replacement. It seems to be the issue though, I added some felt on the side that’s causing all the noise and it’s subsided a ton. It lifts that side which to me indicates it must be warped. We’ll see. Part arrives on Friday which is approx when Roomba will get back to me on the sensor.
Kz1s

Postby robotmasters1986 » July 4th, 2019, 1:51 am

Hello, yes the bent extractor causes extra grinding noise or mobility issues on carpet. iRobot can send a replacement Cleaning Head Module which is very easy to replace and install. The new 3D sensor I suspect it a memory issue in the software which causes the sensor to stop working within an hour or so. I will further investigate the issue with a tear down video.
robotmasters1986

Postby Transammatt » July 4th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Glad your here robot masters!!
Transammatt

Postby vic7767 » July 4th, 2019, 4:17 pm

robotmasters1986 wrote: I will further investigate the issue with a tear down video.
Looking forward to your video. This S9 build is completely different from any other previous Roomba build. Disassembly is extremely difficult to access internal circuits.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Kz1s » July 5th, 2019, 6:38 pm

So I've got an update. The debris cleaning module came in and the noise issue I was experiencing has mostly subsided. I think now it's just the debris extractors touching the floor which was the same on my i7.

Moving on to the front sensor issue. I contacted iRobot and uploaded some videos. The second rep I spoke to consistently believed it to be a hardware issue. I'm just not certain of that because if you restart the bot then the sensor comes back online and works correctly for a while. I've uploaded some videos to youtube. Attaching links.

iRobot has now moved the case to their senior support team for review. In my videos you can clearly see the sensor both on (blinking) and off (no lights.) Once I've rebooted the bot the sensor is online whether it's running, on dock, upside down, etc. But once it goes back offline, it's offline until you complete another reboot.

Sensor working: https://youtu.be/DSGQsbwDL_g
Sensor not working: https://youtu.be/WZfED4zM214
Banging into Wall: https://youtu.be/0AOH6UvCdlQ
Slowing Before Wall: https://youtu.be/xlupuTfIMLw
Kz1s

Postby TheStriker095 » July 6th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Kz1s wrote:So I've got an update. The debris cleaning module came in and the noise issue I was experiencing has mostly subsided. I think now it's just the debris extractors touching the floor which was the same on my i7.

Moving on to the front sensor issue. I contacted iRobot and uploaded some videos. The second rep I spoke to consistently believed it to be a hardware issue. I'm just not certain of that because if you restart the bot then the sensor comes back online and works correctly for a while. I've uploaded some videos to youtube. Attaching links.

iRobot has now moved the case to their senior support team for review. In my videos you can clearly see the sensor both on (blinking) and off (no lights.) Once I've rebooted the bot the sensor is online whether it's running, on dock, upside down, etc. But once it goes back offline, it's offline until you complete another reboot.

I also conducted similar tests using my phone camera, the sensor has the same issue on all 4 replacement units I have received. I think I've decided to just return the Roomba s9 and await next year's model which hopefully resolves the issues with the bumper sensor and side brush design.

As a side note, the Braava m6 is an excellent addition to the Roomba i7+
TheStriker095

Postby Thestregis » July 7th, 2019, 10:58 am

My S9+ is doing the same thing. After I restart the robot, it works fine for one cleaning session, but then starts to slam into things again. I contacted iRobot and they want me to send a video. I am hoping this issue is as simple as a software update, but I don't want to cause any damage to the robot in the mean time. I am thinking I should just return the robot to QVC and reorder in a few months once the kinks have hopefully been worked out.
Thestregis

Postby hourobotguy » July 7th, 2019, 11:20 am

Kz1s wrote:So I've got an update. The debris cleaning module came in and the noise issue I was experiencing has mostly subsided. I think now it's just the debris extractors touching the floor which was the same on my i7.

Can you post a video of what it sounds like after the cleaning head module replacement? I want to compare it to my ‘lawn mower’. :-)
hourobotguy

Postby Kz1s » July 7th, 2019, 11:51 am

Thestregis wrote:My S9+ is doing the same thing. After I restart the robot, it works fine for one cleaning session, but then starts to slam into things again. I contacted iRobot and they want me to send a video. I am hoping this issue is as simple as a software update, but I don't want to cause any damage to the robot in the mean time. I am thinking I should just return the robot to QVC and reorder in a few months once the kinks have hopefully been worked out.

My hope is software as well considering another person on here changed bots 4 times. Today I put tape across the front of mine to prevent further damage to the bumper. Hopefully the more they hear/see about it the more likely they are to identify the issue. I sold my i7 and got the s9. Even though I’m having some problems the pickup is much better than the i7 and the corners and much cleaner. So for me I’m keeping it and working through the bugs which hopefully won’t be much more lol
Kz1s

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat