I7+ or S9+

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

I7+ or S9+

Postby qjschum » July 7th, 2019, 8:38 pm

I currently live in an apartment and I have had the i7+ since December of 18. I just recently got the M6 and I am debating on if I should get the s9. Is the s9 worth the upgrade?
qjschum

Re: I7+ or S9+

Postby RTC » July 7th, 2019, 10:12 pm

qjschum wrote:I currently live in an apartment and I have had the i7+ since December of 18. I just recently got the M6 and I am debating on if I should get the s9. Is the s9 worth the upgrade?

I have had a 980 since the beginning of 2017 and see no reason to upgrade to anything else.

The newer models seem to be increasingly dependent on the app to support their functions. As I am unable to use touch devices due to a tremor, I don't have a smartphone. Why should I pay so much more than I did for the 980 when I will probably get less of what I will be able to use than in the 980 I already have?

Ever hear of rotary phones? Those are the only dial phones ever built that are completely insensitive to tremor (as they actually dial after you remove your finger)!
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby Foster6565 » July 7th, 2019, 11:07 pm

I use my i7 for hard floors and it picks up everything ( I have 2 great pyrenees that shed constantly) and i have no issues. Cant imagine forking up $1400 for a newer robot that does the same thing. If you have carpet mostly then I'd say it's been proven the s9 deep cleans better so maybe then.
Foster6565

Postby Transammatt » July 7th, 2019, 11:21 pm

No way, if you have thick carpet stay away from the s9!! I’m sending mine back and buying the i7 again. The S9 has no front wheels and it bottoms out in the carpet.Horrible navigation on carpet up against corners and dresser legs shoes oh it loves shoes! Lol. My I7 would clean my room in about one hour. The s9 can not even finish in 3 hours and gets stuck many times on the thick carpet. Plus this is the second S9 they have sent me.
Transammatt

Postby ps0001 » July 8th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Transammatt wrote:No way, if you have thick carpet stay away from the s9!! I’m sending mine back and buying the i7 again. The S9 has no front wheels and it bottoms out in the carpet.Horrible navigation on carpet up against corners and dresser legs shoes oh it loves shoes! Lol. My I7 would clean my room in about one hour. The s9 can not even finish in 3 hours and gets stuck many times on the thick carpet. Plus this is the second S9 they have sent me.

Do you want to trade? :lol:
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby rotorwash » July 8th, 2019, 2:18 pm

I have had them all and I can say the s9 is the best for cleaning hands down. The 980 comes close but I have noticed more fine dust pick up with the S9. I had the i7 and it was horrible for hair and just seemed to brush up the carpets with very little dirt and hair pick up.
Transammatt: I have deep carpet and haven't had any issues. I would suspect your issues have to do with the fact the extractor head is closer to the ground in the S9. It might actually be pulling the carpet strands into the rollers.
I have noticed that the s9 will suck up cords and cables compared to the i7 and the 980. In fact on hardwood floors I could hear the ribs on the leading extractor hitting the hardwood floors. Having a looser pile of carpet might be an issue. I have a longer tighter pile carpet and the S9 does a great job.

Best thing you can do is try it for 30 days...don't like send back
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby Foster6565 » July 8th, 2019, 5:04 pm

rotorwash wrote:I have had them all and I can say the s9 is the best for cleaning hands down. The 980 comes close but I have noticed more fine dust pick up with the S9. I had the i7 and it was horrible for hair and just seemed to brush up the carpets with very little dirt and hair pick up.
Transammatt: I have deep carpet and haven't had any issues. I would suspect your issues have to do with the fact the extractor head is closer to the ground in the S9. It might actually be pulling the carpet strands into the rollers.
I have noticed that the s9 will suck up cords and cables compared to the i7 and the 980. In fact on hardwood floors I could hear the ribs on the leading extractor hitting the hardwood floors. Having a looser pile of carpet might be an issue. I have a longer tighter pile carpet and the S9 does a great job.

Best thing you can do is try it for 30 days...don't like send back

I believe the i7 only has issues with hair on carpet, As i said i have 2 x great pyrenees which are probably one of the worst shedding dogs on the planet (the volume of hair they shed on top of the hair being extremely long). Also have a golden retriever which sheds seasonally. On the hard floor (1500+/- sq/ft) it picks up everything, hair, dust, etc. On carpet i did notice it would clump hair, i assume its from getting wrapped around the rollers then eventually clumping up from the contact with the carpet. But regardless my next robot will be the s9+ for my upstairs carpet and if i were to have the opportunity to trade my i7 in i wouldnt hesitate :D
Foster6565

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat