Apartment with 100% tile floors... Roomba or Scooba?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Apartment with 100% tile floors... Roomba or Scooba?

Postby io_burn » June 28th, 2006, 10:29 am

Hey guys,

I have a 1200 square foot two bedroom apartment with tile floors... which are great if I didn't have to sweep every day to keep my socks from getting dirty when I walk around. I had a refurbished Roomba Discovery that bit the dust about six months ago, and since then I've been debating whether to buy another Roomba or a Scooba.

The Roomba Discovery worked great in my apartment. I'd set up a virtual wall so it would only clean about 600 square feet at a time and I could run it every day and there would be dust and cat hair in the dirt container. My stone tile floors trap a lot of dirt in their rough surfaces that even the Roomba misses. After a couple weeks without some type of wet cleaning I can rub a damp paper towel across a couple tiles and it will be amazingly dirty.

...Which makes me kind of lean towards a Scooba. My issue with that is most of the reviews I've read have only had people with small to medium sized kitchens using it, and I think if I got a Scooba I'd need to do four or more cleaning cycles for it to get my whole apartment. With three hour charges in between cycles it would be an all day affair to have it clean my floors.

My apartment is very open and "roombaized" so the Roomba could get around everything without issue, I'm just worried with the Scooba only being able to do 300-400 square feet at a time, it will be less screwing around to just mop my floors manually.

What do you guys think?
io_burn

Postby scoobalover » June 28th, 2006, 10:48 am

I would go for a scooba, for sure. I also have a large apartment with all tile floors. Using a Roomba would keep it from getting dusty, but that's no comparison with having a Scooba actually wash the floor - that will give you a really clean floor. If you divide your apartment into "zones", and run Scooba twice or three times a day, you can have every part cleaned every other or every third day. Also, I think Scooba can do more than one run on a charge, although iRobot doesn't recommend it.
I should add that although I've ordered a Scooba, I haven't actually gotten it yet, so this is just how I've thought it out for myself - not based on live experience.
scoobalover

Postby Mooba » June 28th, 2006, 11:07 am

I would opt for another Roomba right now. The Scooba will be nice for the dirt in the rough surfaces but I bet will choke on all the fur if you don't get that up first.
Mooba - an original RoomBud and co-founder of myRoomBud.com

If you don't dress up your Roomba, it's just a naked vacuum.
Mooba
RoomBudder

Postby io_burn » June 28th, 2006, 11:23 am

I just called the Sharper Image around the corner and they have Scoobas in stock for $300, and they told me they have a 14 day return policy. I think I'll give the Scooba a try and if it sucks I'll return it.

I don't really have that much cat hair on the floor, it's more just dust that gets ground in to the tile. I live on a really busy street and it seems like no matter what I do my place is just constantly dusty.
io_burn

Postby io_burn » June 28th, 2006, 12:45 pm

Well... we'll see how it does. I have 60 days to return it without any issue, and I bought the two year replacement plan which I plan on exploiting as much as possible.

Waiting 16 hours to use it the first time is going to suck.
io_burn

Postby greyhound » June 28th, 2006, 1:39 pm

Shoot, I'm too late. Bed, Bath and Beyond sells the Scoobas for $299 and you can use their 20% off coupons to save another $60. Easy to return items, too. I believe Linens and Things has the same deal if you have one locally.
-Brad
Roomba Scheduler and Scooba
greyhound
Robot Addict

Postby Mimi52 » June 28th, 2006, 2:56 pm

Awwww, what cute kitties..... Once I started using Scooba I wished there were virtual walls for cats! For some reason mine likes to walk on the newly-scooba-ed floor (even though she hates water - go figure). She's just gotta check it out!
Mimi52

Postby io_burn » June 28th, 2006, 4:30 pm

Well, I just did one cleaning cycle with the Scooba with water and vinegar just to see what kind of coverage it gets with a tank... I'm pretty surprised. I could probably cut my apartment in quarters with the virtual wall and get everything done pretty well. If I can do two cleaning cycles per charge, I could just pick up another battery to be able to do the whole thing at once.

The cats approve.

io_burn

Postby greyhound » June 28th, 2006, 5:00 pm

Using vinegar with the tile floors isn't recommended since it will eat away at the grout. The Chlorox solution is supposed to be safe for the grout, though.
-Brad
Roomba Scheduler and Scooba
greyhound
Robot Addict

Postby kissmybot » June 28th, 2006, 7:21 pm

enough with the posting of cute kitties cheking out your scooba. LOL my wife wants a cat and you aren't helping my side of the argument. heheh... Don't have anything against cats, it's just that we have a cockatiel that doesn't even like the roomba or scooba let alone a cat... glad your scooba is working out. We love ours!
kissmybot
Robot Addict

Re:

Postby RTC » November 7th, 2018, 1:14 am

greyhound wrote:Shoot, I'm too late. Bed, Bath and Beyond sells the Scoobas for $299 and you can use their 20% off coupons to save another $60. Easy to return items, too. I believe Linens and Things has the same deal if you have one locally.

Hmm, I had almost forgotten about their 20% off coupons. Haven't seen one since 2008 when I moved from CA to MT (even though we have a local Bed, Bath and Beyond and I don't have to drive ~100 miles to reach another "city"). I used to use the coupons all the time in CA.
RTC

Re: Apartment with 100% tile floors... Roomba or Scooba?

Postby leonicholson » November 7th, 2018, 12:11 pm

We found this to work well with our Braavas on stained concrete. Should do well on tile also. NEUTRAL pH FORMULA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6 ... UTF8&psc=1
leonicholson
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat