Not a Hack, 5XX Cliff Sensor Work Around

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Not a Hack, 5XX Cliff Sensor Work Around

Postby vic7767 » December 1st, 2007, 1:49 am

I know a lot of folks have issues with the 5XX model Roombas and are attempting to defeat the cliff sensors so that they can clean their dark colored floors. Here is one way to perform the blinding of the cliff sensor so that the robot cannot see the color of the floor. IT ALSO CANNOT SEE A REAL CLIFF SITUATION AND WILL NOT AVOID JUMPING TO ITS DEATH.

The only time to attempt this work around is when you are running your robot in an area with no stairs or other flooring with drops, (Cliffs). If you do have cliffs it would be best to not attempt this work around without using a Virtual Wall to help your robot avoid a possible dilemma or at least perform constant monitoring until you feel comfortable that no harm will come to the Roomba. Here is a picture of what is required to perform the work around. The shiny side of the aluminum foil is placed against the clear plastic piece to enable the IR beam to be reflected back to the receiver. Although the foil covers the bottom of the clear plastic IR holder, you should also extend some of the foil over the end of the holder and up about 1/4 inch. Observe the picture, it shows two of the four sensors that should be blocked:
Attachments
cliff.jpg
cliff.jpg (77.73 KiB) Viewed 13909 times
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » December 1st, 2007, 2:02 pm

Excellent Vic!! :D This is a prime candid that should be in our Wiki (If not already).. ;)
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

White paper works too

Postby mama_kk » February 8th, 2008, 10:22 pm

I just taped white paper over mine and it works, too. The trick with the 5xxs is to get it in deep enough to fully cover the IR sensor. Otherwise, I just got "clean Roomba's cliff sensors".

Also, I would highly recommend taping a sign on top of your roomba to remind you that it has been "modified". You know, just in case you bring it over to a friend's house to show how cool it is, etc. :wink:
mama_kk

Postby ED209 » February 8th, 2008, 10:42 pm

Sooner or later, I'm going to have to find a cheapo roomba, block its cliff sensors, and then turn it loose in a room with a one or two-story staircase nearby.

Why?

I dunno.. I've just never seen one going over the edge before. And I like the Three Stooges. :lol:
ED209

Postby TechLarry » March 9th, 2008, 1:43 pm

I've discovered an even simpler method.

Look at your furnace and ducting. See that shiny metallic (I think it's aluminum) tape they use to seal up the gaps with?

Well, it just so happens it works great for bypassing roomba cliff sensors.

It is shiny even on the glue-side. I just peeled off the paper, applied, and trimmed. Works perfectly.

What's nice about this stuff is you don't need any other tape, and it forms nicely around whatever you put it on.

NOTE: I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE DISABLING OF ROOMBA SAFETY DEVICES. USE THIS TIP AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I had to disable mine for the same reason as the OP. I have several of those black, ribbed office mats at the entrances in my foyer and kitchen, and it was annoying getting up every 10 min to 'free' the roomba from it's imaginary cliff. It also caused the roomba to occasionally back itself up against the wall, jamming itself up.

-Larry
TechLarry
Robot Addict

Postby TechLarry » March 10th, 2008, 2:58 pm

I should say mine are all refurb 4296's.

-Larry
TechLarry
Robot Addict

roomba dark rug

Postby kutis » March 17th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Does this fix for the cliff sensor work on the older models? I think mine is a 4210? I'm not at home right now, and I have three right now. All seem to have some sort of mental issues.
Two do what I have now found out is the "Dark Rug Issue" and the other one, goes forward about two feet and starts spinning around, stops, then spins, stops, spins and stops and bleeps for help. I cleaned out the sensors on the wheels, but no go. :(
Any help would, well, help
thanks!
kurt
YOu can e-mail me at my account if that's easier... kutis@comcast.net
kutis

Postby vic7767 » March 17th, 2008, 5:40 pm

The earlier models are not as finicky. You can use semi transparent scotch tape on those sensors. The one you have spinning around and misbehaving is some sort of sensor issue. If out of warranty go to the beginning of this forum under the Sticky "READ FIRST" within will be a thread for how to perform the factory tests on your Roomba.
vic7767
Robot Master

Re: Not a Hack, 5XX Cliff Sensor Work Around

Postby cathy2thousand » February 27th, 2009, 10:45 pm

Help!!

The taping works that I can have it work on my black patterned carpet. However it doesn't dock anymore. I've tied very carefully taped around the docking spots but it still doesn't work. My question is : does Roomba use cliff sensor when docking back to the charging station? and if so is there any work around? ( It shouldn't matter much but just fyi I have a 550.) Thanks!
cathy2thousand

Postby vic7767 » February 27th, 2009, 10:53 pm

There is a better and more effective cliff sensor work around located in the "READ FIRST" Sticky. The cliff sensors are not utilized when docking on a home base.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby waiting » January 12th, 2011, 9:32 am

Hi, I had exactly this problem. Thanks to this forum I have tried with aluminium foil and it did not work for me. Roomba claimed to have an error and to be moved to another place. So, I removed the aluminium foil and tested only with a white piece of paper covering the four cliff sensors. I have tested on my spoted black carpet and definitively works perfectly!
waiting

Postby taufiqhabib » May 28th, 2018, 4:47 am

I have a 650 Roomba and have tried all combinations of paper and foil without any long term success.
I noticed that the transmitter and receiver for the sensors are separated by a black opaque strip.
So finally today the following combination worked for me and my Roomba has been running all day on dark carpet without any issues:
I used the plastic from the side of the CD case which acts as a diffusing lens, And attached it with aluminum sticky tape used for duct work. It worked like a charm and this setup stays on!
taufiqhabib

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat