New to roomba: how does it do multiple rooms?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

New to roomba: how does it do multiple rooms?

Postby kman42 » May 21st, 2008, 6:52 pm

I am about to pull the trigger and buy my wife a roomba, but I'm trying to get a little more information on how it works. Basically, how does it do multiple rooms? Can it do a few rooms, recharge and then do another set of rooms?

I'm looking at the 560. We have three bedrooms in the back of the house, connected by a hallway to the living room. The living room, dining room, family room, and kitchen (tile) make a big circle around a central wall. All told, the house is about 1800 sqft.

Thanks!
kman
kman42

Postby nirok » May 21st, 2008, 7:21 pm

hey its a huge leap to get one, but once you get one you wonder why all your friends don't have one, infact i have converted all my friends, lol.... yeah i usually do one room at a time as it does a better job but i'm sure it could do several rooms if you set it up right.... the problem probably will be with finding the doors to get into the different rooms... i think though once you get use to how it works you work it out pretty quickly.... it does charge itself when it starts running low, we run ours 3 times a day to do different parts of the house that gets used alot and when we get home its like a maid has been in and cleaned the house.... i say clean the house cause you find yourself actually picking up any mess on the ground to help roomba not get stuck and also cleaning starts to become less of a chore and quite an honour.... you know its so weird to discribe ....all my friends are interested yet beleiev there is noway it will work and yet it does a great job.... its so smart.... now i'm getting way off topic but i love my one,.... and great news people i got my refund on the discovery and they are giving me the 530 one.... is that any good lol... in NZ i don't think they have the 560s or later
nirok

Re: New to roomba: how does it do multiple rooms?

Postby tum » May 22nd, 2008, 1:05 am

kman42 wrote:I am about to pull the trigger and buy my wife a roomba, but I'm trying to get a little more information on how it works. Basically, how does it do multiple rooms? Can it do a few rooms, recharge and then do another set of rooms?

I'm looking at the 560. We have three bedrooms in the back of the house, connected by a hallway to the living room. The living room, dining room, family room, and kitchen (tile) make a big circle around a central wall. All told, the house is about 1800 sqft.

Thanks!
kman

I kman,

The 5XX series can handle multiple rooms better than previous versions but it can't do one room, recharge and then continue where it left off.

The 5XX series has "lighthouse" virtual walls. The roomba completely cleans one room before it is allowed to move through the lighthouse virtual wall into the next room. The roomba will follow the lighthouses back home when it has finished or if its battery is running low. If you start it up again, it won't resume from where it left off.

It's still pretty good. I recommend the 500 series because the virtual walls turn on and off automatically which really adds to the whole low automation thing.
tum

Postby kman42 » May 22nd, 2008, 1:09 pm

Well, I went out and bought the 560 last night and we fired him up this morning for a test run. I didn't have batteries for the Lighthouses and we were getting ready for our day so we just let him play around for about 20 minutes.

He found his way into the all of the front rooms (the den, kitchen, living room and dining room) and then wandered through the hallway into the back. I think I read that he will only run for 45 minutes in this mode (when you just press the Clean button), is that right? I'm guessing that he won't ever effectively clean the whole house like this. Once I set up the Lighthouses, he will spend about 35 minutes in each zone, correct? I still don't think that will be enough to get through the whole house even if it is divided into three zones.

So what is the best strategy? Should I set up a virtual wall so he can't get into the back of the house and then use the other Lighthouse to divide the front into two zones and let him go on a daily schedule? This would mean relegating the back of the house to some manual mode where I physically pick him up and put him in the back of the house and use a virtual wall to prevent him from coming to the front and a Lighthouse to divide the back of the house in two. Will he then spend 35 minutes in each of the two zones and then just stop wherever he may be?

Alternatively, I might buy two more lighthouses and see how much he can get done on the whole house. Can he go 150 minutes on a charge?

Finally, I have him situated in the living room which is in the middle of the house. I want to put a Lighthouse in the doorway to the den/kitchen and then one in the doorway to the back hallway. These doorways are on opposite sides of the living room. My understanding is that he will spend 35 minutes in the living room, find a Lighthouse at random, pass through and spend 35 minutes in the new room. Will he then find the same Lighthouse and spend another 35 minutes in the living room before looking for the other Lighthouse? The issue is that to go from the den/kitchen to the back of the house he will have to traverse the living room. Is he smart enough to only clean the living room once? If not, I'm guessing it would be better to put his base station at one end of the house.

Sorry for all the questions!
kman
kman42

Postby nirok » May 22nd, 2008, 10:06 pm

lucky we can't get teh 560 here in NZ i'm stuck with the 530... still love it though, lol... test test testt.... 45 min might be enough....
nirok

Postby VFM » May 23rd, 2008, 4:18 am

Hello, Kman

I have a Roomba 550 with 2 lighthouses. It cleans every day my whole house (approx 1000 sqft), about 35 minutes for each LH zone. It works pretty well and (almost) always it returns to its base. My floor is all wood and sometimes, just for try, I've let roomba run until batt empty. It takes a bit more than 2 hours. So I think that your complete area is too much for a single run.

I have put the home base in one end of my home, I mean, not in central LH zone. In my central zone, home base would be less "visible" for Roomba. (But this is just my house configuration).

Hope this helps. Please inform us how finally Roomba works for you.
Best,

Ventura.
VFM

Postby fancyfreewv » May 23rd, 2008, 11:02 am

kman42 wrote:I am about to pull the trigger and buy my wife a roomba, but I'm trying to get a little more information on how it works. Basically, how does it do multiple rooms? Can it do a few rooms, recharge and then do another set of rooms?

Thanks!
kman

Here's a great link to explain how all this works:

http://forums.irobot.com/irobothome/boa ... &jump=true

Also, check out our WIKI www.robotreviews.com/wiki and the cleaning section and troubleshooting if you need it.

Welcome to the crazyness! :lol:
Nancy - Mom to 3 Furbabies - Bentley, Chelsea, Whiskey & 3 Roombas - 535 (Half Trax) and 560 (Shadow) and Dirt Dog (Old Yellow)
fancyfreewv
Robot Addict

Postby Lordery » September 7th, 2018, 8:28 am

We have a big house with many rooms, also we have pets.
During the moulting period cat hair flies throughout the house. :shock:
Therefore, in an urgent order, I decided to purchase a robotic vacuum that is able to clean multiple rooms.
First, there was doubt about whether these machines can cope with their tasks,
and also whether they can clean up many rooms. Nevertheless, the information we found on the Internet
satisfied us.
Here you can find it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrlFMOO7maM
https://vacmux.com/can-irobot-roomba-cl ... ple-rooms/
The searching was tedious and boring. As a result we chose the Roomba.
We are pleased with our acquisition.
Good luck! Choose your best multiple room iRobot)) :dance:
Lordery

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat