Are there any robot vacuums that will avoid shag rugs?

Read Reviews of the Roomba, Scooba, Dirt Dog, and all other robotic appliances. Or, feel free to write your own.

Are there any robot vacuums that will avoid shag rugs?

Postby ds3f » November 22nd, 2015, 7:39 pm

I have an Ikea GÅSER rug in my living room. I don't care if the robotic vacuum doesn't clean it, but I don't want it to get stuck every day. know there's the Dyson 360 Eye which can supposedly clean shag, but that's way too expensive. I may get the iRobot Braava since that seems pretty good at avoiding rugs, but I would prefer an actual vacuum, not just a cleaning cloth. Do I have any other options?
ds3f

Re: Are there any robot vacuums that will avoid shag rugs?

Postby lonefire » November 23rd, 2015, 1:59 pm

If you put the magnetic strips around (or possibly just underneath, depending on just how thick the carpet is), the Neato robots will vacuum around it (I'd rec the Botvac D series or the Botvac Connected). The iRobot Roombas will also avoid the rugs if you put a bunch of lighthouses around them, but those are more expensive than the mag strip rolls.
lonefire

Postby glnc222 » January 4th, 2016, 3:31 pm

Instead of avoiding the shag rug you might be able to clean it, though it depends on exactly what kind of shag -- not all the same apparently. The worse situation is tassle fringes, a problem even for manually cleaning.
You might look at the Samsung PowerBots VR9000 series in the Samsung forum. They have four inch instead of three inch wheels for navigating on deeper carpets (like the discontinued old Electrolux Trilobite).
Sometimes it is not the depth of the carpet which matters but how slippery is the textile. Samsung good with that as well.
I vaguely recall seeing videos with Neato's and Roomba's operating on some shaggy rugs. The slippery effect can occur on even medium pile carpet. You may need to get a bot from a store where it can be returned after testing to see if compatible with your needs. (Then order more from a cheaper source...).
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » January 4th, 2016, 5:12 pm

This GÅSER rug has 7cm long deep pile, I bet it will clog even Powerbot roller with ease, not sure but you can try http://www.ikea.com/pl/pl/catalog/products/60191346/
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » January 4th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Are there any vacuums Robotic or Upright that will handle shag rugs ?
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » January 4th, 2016, 7:38 pm

You could use the hard floor attachment for a canister vac or turn off the power brush head on the upright or canister, for whatever that is worth.

The rug is only six feet long. Might be easiest just to move it.

To close off the rug with PowerBot you would use virtual walls similar to Roomba, but they have not been previously supplied although the robots are equipped to use them. The newest 9250 WiFi is packaged with one, and when obtained I will check for parts availability if I can find the part number on it needed for Samsung's website. It does not fully catalog vacuum parts now but can find by part number.

[edit] Those rugs are so thick they might even deflect a PowerBot by themselves as obstacles too high. Just speculation.

You might use wood moldings placed temporarily to deflect the PowerBot's sensitive proximity detectors. The rug is too thick for Neato mag strips underneath, but you could put a border around it.

No idea whether the PowerBot or even Dyson's track could move on that rug. Somethings just have to be tried to find out.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » January 11th, 2016, 10:12 pm

Without having the specific rug in question, a stack of two fluffy Bed & Bath rugs 2 inches high at the top surface,
is avoided by the Samsung PowerBot. It touches the sides but does not climb. The bumper seems to press into it but the stuff appears too soft to press the switches. Not quite the same as a shag rug, with a rubber backing between the two layers, still seems very soft. The GASER Ikea rug has 2.75 inch strings. How straight they stand is the question. I would measure the height except the nearest Ikea is a half day's drive away.

PowerbotBath.JPG
stack of two bath rugs two inches high avoided by PowerBot
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Heraklen » February 8th, 2017, 5:47 am

ds3f wrote:I have an Ikea GÅSER rug in my living room. I don't care if the robotic vacuum doesn't clean it, but I don't want it to get stuck every day. know there's the Dyson 360 Eye which can supposedly clean shag, but that's way too expensive. I may get the iRobot Braava since that seems pretty good at avoiding rugs, but I would prefer an actual vacuum, not just a cleaning cloth. Do I have any other options?

We have a Neato XV with the pet brush and the pet filter , it could handle a similar IKEA rug. I think its called HAMPEN. (I need to check it with my girlfriend to be 100%)

With the default brush and the basic filter , it got stuck since it has too good airflow and the drive-wheels couldn't drive it forward.
But with the other brush and filters it could handle it , but was really slow since it was so thick.
Sometimes it got stuck anyway due to low battery since this rug really takes its toll when vaccuming.

We don't have that rug any more so I cant do any further testing.

[Edit] - I have checked now and yes , IKEA - Hampen can be handled with an Neato XV with pet-brush and filter.
Last edited by Heraklen on February 9th, 2017, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heraklen

Postby Tofu » February 8th, 2017, 8:38 pm

For what it's worth, I have this exact rug, and my Dyson 360 Eye climbs up onto it then gets stuck. Not a surprise since my Dyson V6's brushbar also gets stuck on it, but I wish the Eye would just avoid it.

I ended up having to just close the doors to that room when I run the robot, and I manually vacuum it. Not ideal.
Tofu

Postby glnc222 » February 9th, 2017, 11:42 pm

Is your rug the Gaser shag or the Hampen mentioned? This info could also go in the Dyson thread "other" forum.
Hampen is listed as a "high pile" rug -- long known to defeat robots. Looks fluffy. I would have to wonder if even the Powerbot with 33 per cent larger wheels (not on the new 7000 back to small) would move on it. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70203768/
Ikea sounds like a good place to test robot designs. They also have the problematic cantilever chairs.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Tofu » February 17th, 2017, 3:11 pm

My rug is the Gåser — but they both look pretty similar in pile.

The issue with the Dyson isn't the wheels — the tank tracks pull it up completely onto the rug, but then the long strands of the rug get caught in the vacuum brushbar.

For what it's worth, my Mint robot (renamed Braava after being acquired by iRobot) bumps into the rug and goes around it.

I like your point about Ikea: It would be hilarious to see a bunch of robot engineers just testing their robots in an Ikea.
Tofu

Postby glnc222 » March 12th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Mods have been made to Neato's, even a commercially sold strip, to lower the bumper to act more like the Braava mentioned. The soft edge of rugs, though, might not work with bumpers too stiff. Neato's and some robots have all blade brushes which might work differently, but who knows (were such rugs cleaned with suction-only regular vacuums?). So the long pile does not bother a full size vacuum power brush? One user reported replacing rugs.
There is an inherent problem in that thresholds needing crossing can be no higher than that rug, preventing any complete solution, except for some fancier intake. With regular vacuums attachments even get changed, and CP30 is just not available for that service, with all the Empire problems.

Neato's allow mag strips under the edge of some rugs, but not thick ones. Industrial robots would use signals from embedded wires.
Last edited by glnc222 on March 12th, 2017, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » March 12th, 2017, 7:10 pm

One wonders what the announced Samsung VR7000 with fiber cutters in the intake would do to that sort of rug. Careful what you wish for...
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Robotic Reviews