Xiaomi Mi pet hair challenge

Read Reviews of the Roomba, Scooba, Dirt Dog, and all other robotic appliances. Or, feel free to write your own.

Xiaomi Mi pet hair challenge

Postby grin » April 3rd, 2017, 9:40 am

I got my MiMi last Friday and I thought I would try the robot right away in the worst conditions possible. At least in my house it doesn't get any worse than this.

The poor bot had to face 5 DAYS WORTH OF ACCUMULATED HAIR from TWO LARGE DOGS, LONG-HAIRED and in the HEIGHT OF SHEDDING SEASON.

I used max. power all the time. I also divided my flat into sectors to make it easier on Mimi. After each sector I emptied the bin and cleaned the brush. Here are the results, scroll down for the pictures.

Results:

My main worries were:

- cleaning abilities
Since it's programmed to only pass once over each spot I was worried how much it could pick up. -> It performed awesome!!! It seems the high suction power works really well. It picked up a lot even with one time passage. Also, if the one passing isn't enough you can always send the robot on another cleaning run when it finishes the first one. It only takes a short time to finish anyway. I've been walking around barefoot all weekend after the cleaning and the socks remained clean.
It also did very very nice on the carpet. It left it actually cleaner than it is after I pass it with my regular vacuum - I need to use the special pet hair head when I want it really clean. Mimi managed it by itself.

- bin capacity and bin clogging
--> Good enough. At first sight the bin seems tiny but it did just fine. The hair did clog all in one place, in front of the hole, but that didn't seem to affect Mimi's performance or suction. At least not much. In the end it finished the run without notifying me of a full bin. Also the hair arranges itself more evenly if there's less of it in the bin.
It could definitely use some improvement but I think it will serve just fine for normal everyday use. Of course it will need daily emptying but I expected that.

- hair entanglement in the brush
Unfortunately here Mimi fared even worse than I expected (see pictures below). Granted, it had to cope with a lot of hair in one time but I still hoped it would do better. The hair even gets entangled by the side of the brush:
A few redeeming points would be that even after all the entangled hair the brush still worked ok; the bot notifies you if the brush gets so choked it can't perform any longer; and one nice touch is a little knife, embedded in the brush cleaning tool:
Very handy to cut the strained hair.

Still, obviously I'll have to clean the brush after each run.

Additional observations:

- climbing over tresholds
Up to 1 inch no problems, higher than that it sees them as an obstacle. Has no trouble climbing down an 1" treshold though.

- climbing carpets
Manages them very well. I have a few very low carpets, two of them black, no problems whatsoever. Loose strands of thread on the carpet, no problems. I also have some soft cloth carpets (without a fixed rubber bottom) and it manages them as a champion, too.
video: https://goo.gl/photos/kXx3wGhG9ZcVfbbW9
My previous no-name would push it away or get entangled. This one climbs on it and vacuums it.

- cables
Can handle them.
video: https://goo.gl/photos/3TGBwfCYB85xwSrW9

- bigger objects
Mimi ran over a nail that was too big to get sucked up through the brush. It dragged it around for a while then I paused the run and removed it. I don't like the fact that it didn't stop and/or alert me of the problem.

- re-starting cleaning after charging
In the middle of one run the battery was at 10% so Mimi went back to the base. When the battery was full it resumed the cleaning where it left it. Unfortunately that was in the middle of the night :shock: and I was woken by a cheerful message in Chinese.

- bedspreads and similar covers
If the sheet reaches the ground, Mimi treats it as an obstacle and doesn't go underneath (thus leaving the covered part not vacuumed).

Picture report:

1. Kitchen & Dining room

2. Living room & Dining room

the amount of hair I pulled out of the brush:

3. Bedroom & Hallway (forgot to take screenshot of the map)

4. Kitchen, Dining room & Living room the next day
Last edited by grin on April 3rd, 2017, 2:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
grin

Re: Xiaomi Mi pet hair challenge

Postby Panache » April 3rd, 2017, 10:07 am

Wow, that is a lot of hair. When does the Xiaomi vacuum throw the "clean brush" error? I have a similar situation (cats), but I get the "clean my brush" error message with just a little hair + carpet fibers wound around the brush heads and the error pops up every time after about 1 hr of cleaning over a mix of hardwood/tile and wall-to-wall shag carpet. Do you use the vacuum at full suction?
Panache

Postby grin » April 3rd, 2017, 10:19 am

Yes, I use it at full suction. I didn't get the message yet. I don't have shaggy carpets though, and they're not wall-to-wall. Could be they're the problem?
grin

Postby Panache » April 3rd, 2017, 9:09 pm

Yeah I wonder if the wall to wall carpet (not too deep, but about 0.5 cm) produces enough friction that the brush gives an error. I just override the error in the app and the vacuum carries on...
Panache

Postby Shazb0t » April 3rd, 2017, 9:54 pm

Panache wrote:Yeah I wonder if the wall to wall carpet (not too deep, but about 0.5 cm) produces enough friction that the brush gives an error. I just override the error in the app and the vacuum carries on...

I've heard this complaint a couple of times now! It sounds like that may be what's happening. In some of the advertisements for the Mi robot I've seen it listed that the brush has an adjustable height. If it does, can you play with that and see if it helps it get stuck less often?
Shazb0t

Postby Panache » April 4th, 2017, 9:48 am

The adjustable height is a floating bar mechanism so the intake is as close to the surface as possible. In my case, my shag carpet has a checker pattern of low and slightly higher pile, so I suspect the higher pile "lumps" cause excessive friction.

It seems the floating beater mechanism is a bit delicate, too, just a thin flexible membrane tube connects it to the filter/dirt bin intake. I hope it does not get torn if something sharp/abrasive/pointy is sucked up.
Panache

Postby Brett » April 5th, 2017, 5:00 am

grin wrote:... I've been walking around barefoot all weekend after the cleaning and the socks remained clean.

My socks also stay clean when I'm barefoot!

(-8

Great report!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby grin » April 5th, 2017, 5:08 am

Brett wrote:
grin wrote:... I've been walking around barefoot all weekend after the cleaning and the socks remained clean.

My socks also stay clean when I'm barefoot!

(-8

Great report!

8) Good one! :lol:

Glad you liked it.
grin

Return to Robotic Reviews