Robot for dog hair on hard floor

Read Reviews of the Roomba, Scooba, Dirt Dog, and all other robotic appliances. Or, feel free to write your own.

Robot for dog hair on hard floor

Postby cardealpt » January 6th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Hello,

I've been searching for a while and seems to be hard to find a vacuum that fits my needs.
- Pet hair
- Doesn't get hair tangle on brushes
- less than 400€

Can some pet owners advice me on some good picks?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by cardealpt on January 7th, 2018, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cardealpt

Re: Robot for dog hair on hard floor with some carpets

Postby Brett » January 7th, 2018, 10:43 am

I gave an old 530 to a buddy but I warned him that it would not handle his carpet (just like yours). Turns out it moves very slowly on it, but never gets stuck.

I recently bought one of the much-fancied Xaiomi Mi units to familiarise myself with it. Operating in my GFs house. Pretty good, but struggles and stops on a carpet with pile 1/3rd of yours, so I'm thinking that's a no.

Somebody with experience of Neatos on shag can chip in?

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby cardealpt » January 7th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Brett wrote:I gave an old 530 to a buddy but I warned him that it would not handle his carpet (just like yours). Turns out it moves very slowly on it, but never gets stuck.

I recently bought one of the much-fancied Xaiomi Mi units to familiarise myself with it. Operating in my GFs house. Pretty good, but struggles and stops on a carpet with pile 1/3rd of yours, so I'm thinking that's a no.

Somebody with experience of Neatos on shag can chip in?

(-8

I've been looking into Xiaomi but it seems that the hair of pets get extremely tangled on the brushes
cardealpt

Postby glnc222 » January 7th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Robotic vacuums made so far cannot work on such long thread shag rugs being too small, with wheels too small. They sink into the carpet and it is like a car in a corn field. The textile also limits traction of the wheels to plow through and it would take something very heavy. The larger 9000 series Samsung Powerbots have a little larger wheels, 4 inches compared to most common 3 inches wide, but could not be guaranteed to work. Such rugs would seem to be even difficult to handle with manual vacuums. Some ardent fans of robotic vacuums have replaced rugs in order to use the machines.

The small Dyson robot has a track drive instead of wheels, and might navigate the material but has never been demonstrated or at least posted about, on that kind of rug. It would have to be tested.

Some potential new designs have been touted but not yet made by any company.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby cardealpt » January 7th, 2018, 2:25 pm

glnc222 wrote:Robotic vacuums made so far cannot work on such long thread shag rugs being too small, with wheels too small. They sink into the carpet and it is like a car in a corn field. The textile also limits traction of the wheels to plow through and it would take something very heavy. The larger 9000 series Samsung Powerbots have a little larger wheels, 4 inches compared to most common 3 inches wide, but could not be guaranteed to work. Such rugs would seem to be even difficult to handle with manual vacuums. Some ardent fans of robotic vacuums have replaced rugs in order to use the machines.

The small Dyson robot has a track drive instead of wheels, and might navigate the material but has never been demonstrated or at least posted about, on that kind of rug. It would have to be tested.

Some potential new designs have been touted but not yet made by any company.

Alright i understand. Im gonna edit my post and focus on the dog hair and i vacuum the carpets myself.
cardealpt

Re: Robot for dog hair on hard floor

Postby glnc222 » January 7th, 2018, 3:54 pm

As to dog hair, the latest innovation -- or possibly just dubious gizmo -- is a cutting surface on the brush guard ribs of the newest Samsung Powerbot 7000 series (higher end models only), supposedly chopping up the hair so sucked into the intake (see their website). It also has an all blade brush, which on all the bots avoids accumulating hair in bristles. (This was an early advantage of Neato robots which first had an all blade brush, though later touted a combo bristle and blade brush as a "pet" brush -- apparently bristles may pick up more hair...).
The Neato Botvac robot initially had a vulnerable ball bearing mount on the brush which could get damaged by hair accumulation, causing heat damage to the case when frozen and the bearing spinning against the plastic -- since replaced by a more durable bushing mount without vulnerable ball bearings, not freezing up.
Reports are the Samsung feature does not work on very fluffy cat hair, though may work on other. In any event none of the Powerbots have bearing problems like the early Neato's. There is an advantage in getting a robot from a dealer with some return policy, for trying it out when there are questions about the suitability for the environment.
The 800 and higher Roomba's had some attention to the pet hair problem with intake roller details, and lack bristles to need cleaning.
I think the Samsung's are more expensive than the budget mentioned. There could be used-open box-refurbished bargains, and with their higher quality manufacture, maybe less of a risk warranty wise.

You may notice some limitations to the state of the art in these products. Even if one aspect works for you, there can be home made additions needed for other problems -- making them an interesting hobby for the technically inclined.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Robotic Vacs » March 16th, 2018, 5:06 pm

I wrote a pretty comprehensive article about that. I haven't had the chance to get my hands on a Xaiomi Mi yet, and I HAVE tried out the iLife vacuums but they're not as good as Roomba. I like the Roomba 980 the most but it's way too expensive for most people. I actually ended up not keeping the Roomba 980 (I was offered a review model), it was too much for my needs. My mom has 2 cats and a dog and it did a great job for her.
Robotic Vacs

Postby a1robotrepair » March 16th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Get an inexpensive Roomba 500 series with the original bin and add a Lithium Power Inc battery and a Grey CHM and do the bin upgrade in this post and you will be surprised how well it works if you use it every day.
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19321&p=145249&hilit=R3+bin+upgrade#p145249
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby leonicholson » March 16th, 2018, 8:33 pm

a1robotrepair wrote:Get an inexpensive Roomba 500 series with the original bin and add a Lithium Power Inc battery and a Grey CHM and do the bin upgrade in this post and you will be surprised how well it works if you use it every day.
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19321&p=145249&hilit=R3+bin+upgrade#p145249

My 595's have the upgraded CHM's and Aerovac Bins std. I did add a couple of Comb teeth doors for catching long hair. The bins get full, so no problems with our dogs here.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby a1robotrepair » March 16th, 2018, 9:32 pm

If they can get an aerovac comb bin door in their country/union, a 600 or late model 500 with aerovac works great. Hence the bin mod. While the bin door costs about $15 in the US, while in South East Asia the shipping and import tax brought the cost to $48.
:angry-screaming:
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Return to Robotic Reviews