Kärcher Robocleaner RC3000 review

Read Reviews of the Roomba, Scooba, Dirt Dog, and all other robotic appliances. Or, feel free to write your own.

Re: Kärcher Robocleaner RC3000 review

Postby grapedrink » January 26th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Harmonica wrote:I use the 3h program. Once or twice a week. Still it is amazing how clean the floors are.

I don't know what you do at your houses to need that much cleaning.

Could not agree more. Sounds like your cleaning schedule is very similar to mine except I let mine run twice as long due to a larger floor space. Running my Karcher once or twice a week is more than enough!

Believe it or not, the Karcher is the quietest, so you can imagine how loud the Roomba and Neato etc are!! Being at home while they clean will drive you crazy.

Glad to see another happy Karcher owner.
grapedrink
Robot Groupie

Postby a4refillpad » January 27th, 2013, 6:25 am

I like running all my bots everyday. If you can then why not? Whole point of automation is to maximise benefit and minimise effort, especially with the karcher as you do not even need to empty it. I have mine on a remote now so my daily scheduling is actually controlled by computer. I do not even need to reach over and press a button! :)
current bots: Clebo Arte, Vorwerk VR-100 (one broken one new), Neato XV-25, Neato XV-12, Roomba 564, Evo Mint 2, Roomba 770, Hauzen VC-RE70V, Samsung SR8980, Karcher RC3000, Robomow RL350 (lawnmower)
previous bots: Samsung SR8845, Neato XV-15
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Postby robocleaner » February 1st, 2013, 9:03 pm

a4refillpad wrote:I like running all my bots everyday. If you can then why not?

I guess because these things have a finite life. If running your robot just 2 times a week does the job adequately, it should last 3.5 times longer than if you run it 7 days a week... at least in theory!

a4refillpad wrote:I have mine on a remote now so my daily scheduling is actually controlled by computer. I do not even need to reach over and press a button! :)

I like the discipline of checking my floors for stray socks, CD's/Blu-ray discs, and paperwork I've casually strewn around the place before pressing the GO button - I'm inherently quite lazy and untidy, and this forces me to tidy up a bit before setting the robotic cleaner going! But nevertheless I'd be very interested to learn how you've done that!
2 x Karcher RC3000 (2005 & 2012), Trilobite ZA1 (2005), Navibot 8855 (2010)
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby a4refillpad » February 2nd, 2013, 10:46 am

Don't know about yourself but a floor is a floor. Largest surface area in the house and the largest receptacle of dirt dust and fluff. We're not an untidy family but these robots are just not as good as a human being at vacuuming with a full blown machine. The only way to compensate is to run very regularly which in my house removes the need to bring out my meile completely! I only need to use the handheld vacuum for the stairs. My view is life too short to care for the life of the device. The karcher is very robust and well engineered and I hope can live a very long while. Parts also seem readily available so I am little concerned.

As for the remote control feature, I did start a thread but it didn't seem to gather much interest. I simply fitted a 433mhz receiver into the circuitry and using a telldus device on my pc integrated it into my existing home automation software. Great thing is I can also decide to start or stop the robot manually from my android phone if I want to. I've found the battery drain to be negligible and very convenient. Always found it very retro that I needed to reach over and manually start the neato/vr100 and karcher. Now my karcher is done I only wish the neato was as easy to mod.
current bots: Clebo Arte, Vorwerk VR-100 (one broken one new), Neato XV-25, Neato XV-12, Roomba 564, Evo Mint 2, Roomba 770, Hauzen VC-RE70V, Samsung SR8980, Karcher RC3000, Robomow RL350 (lawnmower)
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Postby robocleaner » February 2nd, 2013, 11:45 am

a4refillpad wrote:Don't know about yourself but a floor is a floor. Largest surface area in the house and the largest receptacle of dirt dust and fluff. We're not an untidy family but these robots are just not as good as a human being at vacuuming with a full blown machine. The only way to compensate is to run very regularly which in my house removes the need to bring out my meile completely! I only need to use the handheld vacuum for the stairs. My view is life too short to care for the life of the device. The karcher is very robust and well engineered and I hope can live a very long while. Parts also seem readily available so I am little concerned.

Yes I'd agree, but seeing as dust is dead skin, the volume of dust/dirt is directly dependent upon the number of people using the home. For a single individual who spends a lot of time away, just once or twice a week is more than enough. For a young family, perhaps with pets too, more frequent use probably is needed (I'm sure there was a member on one of these forums who left his Karcher running 24/7 indefinitely!). As you say, life is too short, but there's no point running a vacuum cleaner if the floor isn't dirty. I don't run my dishwasher either if there aren't any dirty plates to wash! Yes, it is robust (my oldest now being 7 years and still on its' original batteries), but for some that may be less affluent overall product life and the cost of repairs or replacement probably is of concern.

a4refillpad wrote:As for the remote control feature, I did start a thread but it didn't seem to gather much interest. I simply fitted a 433mhz receiver into the circuitry and using a telldus device on my pc integrated it into my existing home automation software. Great thing is I can also decide to start or stop the robot manually from my android phone if I want to. I've found the battery drain to be negligible and very convenient. Always found it very retro that I needed to reach over and manually start the neato/vr100 and karcher. Now my karcher is done I only wish the neato was as easy to mod.

Scheduling does seem to be one of the key features that many miss, and I'm sure Karcher would likely incorporate if they redesigned the product afresh. Given how often the absence of scheduling is commented upon, I'm surprised your thread didn't gather much interest - where was it? Did I miss it?

I did think of a theoretical way of controlling my Karcher using my Harmony 1100 remote (which controls my Home Cinema, lights, even the air conditioning - and the Navibot), but at the end of the day it would be remote operation not scheduling, and, frankly, I couldn't be bothered trying it anyway!: Pressing a button to start an appliance - be it my dishwasher or vacuum - isn't such a huge ask! Anyway, isn't Brighton - or should I say "Hove Actually" - the home of Retro?!! It certainly was in the 10 years I lived and worked there!
2 x Karcher RC3000 (2005 & 2012), Trilobite ZA1 (2005), Navibot 8855 (2010)
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby grapedrink » February 2nd, 2013, 11:19 pm

robocleaner wrote:I like the discipline of checking my floors for stray socks, CD's/Blu-ray discs, and paperwork I've casually strewn around the place before pressing the GO button - I'm inherently quite lazy and untidy, and this forces me to tidy up a bit before setting the robotic cleaner going! But nevertheless I'd be very interested to learn how you've done that!

Bingo. This is exactly why I don't need or care about scheduling on my Karcher. It forces you to tidy a bit (to ensure the robot doesn't get stuck etc) before letting the robot out.
grapedrink
Robot Groupie

Postby a4refillpad » February 2nd, 2013, 11:56 pm

The karcher is the least picky of my robots and can easily cope with most things being left around and I so far never encountered any issues even with young children in my family. Guys, don't like the sound of your houses with socks, paper and dvd cases lying all over the place! :shock: Even if I wanted to, my other half would not want to live like that!
... and yes I suppose it does force us to not leave the place in a complete mess every day. Which is good right?
Each to their own I guess.
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Postby Velvet » June 12th, 2013, 12:43 am

a4refillpad wrote:The karcher is the least picky of my robots and can easily cope with most things being left around and I so far never encountered any issues even with young children in my family. Guys, don't like the sound of your houses with socks, paper and dvd cases lying all over the place! :shock: Even if I wanted to, my other half would not want to live like that!
... and yes I suppose it does force us to not leave the place in a complete mess every day. Which is good right?
Each to their own I guess.

Hi,
a4refillpad - done a comparison between the Karcher & LG Roboking 6170?

Anyone got any idea where i can get the Karcher RC3000 in Perth,Western Australia? Havent seen it at any of the local big retailers like Harvey Normans or Good Guys, cant seem to find one on ebay either. Also anyone know if Karcher has a local service agent should it ever need a repair/replacement?
Velvet

Postby a4refillpad » June 12th, 2013, 4:18 am

I've yet to have any hands on experience with robokings though I would love to. Have actually run out of locations to utilise all of my current kit at the moment!
Purely based on observations of other people's posts and videos, the robokings appear to be mainly geared for hardfloors and navigate in a similar fashion to Samsung robots. Key feature differences are the ultrasonic sensors and easy access to dirtbin. I don't like passing judgement on any device I've not tried first hand but does look very nice.
It is radically different to a karcher, which does not map the environment and is relatively simple in technology but "just works" and works very well.
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Postby Velvet » June 12th, 2013, 5:37 am

a4refillpad wrote:I've yet to have any hands on experience with robokings though I would love to. Have actually run out of locations to utilise all of my current kit at the moment!
Purely based on observations of other people's posts and videos, the robokings appear to be mainly geared for hardfloors and navigate in a similar fashion to Samsung robots. Key feature differences are the ultrasonic sensors and easy access to dirtbin. I don't like passing judgement on any device I've not tried first hand but does look very nice.
It is radically different to a karcher, which does not map the environment and is relatively simple in technology but "just works" and works very well.

Thanks for the reply.

Im looking for my 1st robo-vacuum at the mo, quite a few options out there & im a lil lost right now so any info to help me decide is appreciated.

Some of the ones im considering & some of their pros & cons -
1. Roomba - they had been around for a long time, proven themselves, few minor issues, plenty of modulated spare parts on ebay, ramdom vacuum pattern, does not return to same spot where it left off if it requires a charge mid way thru a clean so it may well repeat same cleaning area, noisy.
2. Roboking - smart robot with ultrasonic sensors, great on hard floors, has a memory of areas its completed, strong vacuum but misses spots here & there
3. Karcher - simple but effective vacuum, random pattern, spare parts avail., longevity(battery known to lasts yrs)
4.Samsung Navibot - still researching this one

All of the above except the Karcher is avail at my local retailer for a demo. I also prefer buying local in case i have to return it for warranty issues.

If anyone knows where i can get a Karcher from in Perth, Western Australia, please let me know.
Velvet

Postby a4refillpad » June 12th, 2013, 10:06 am

I have at least one of all of those robots with the exception of the Roboking.
Just an observation, 1. the Roomba does not resume full stop. If it does run out of charge it will just dock and stay there.
3. A key selling is the auto empty which is very effective much more so that the equiv on samsung. Keeps the airways clean and therefore the vacuum constantly strong.
4. Samsungs. My own personal experience with these (I've had 3 generations now) is that the navigation is easily confused. Have not seen any improvements in the generations in that regards. Build quality is top notch and vacuum power is very low. More of a sweeper.

All robot brands have pros and cons. you find people are often very polarised in their opinions often in the forum and sometimes very vocal too! The effectiveness of the robot varies greatly depending on the environment it is to be run in and also the preferences/priorities of the owner has a great influence of how satisfied they will be with the purchase. e.g. some people need fast cleaning e.g. mapping robot. others would prefer a more thorough clean over a longer period: non-mapping one.

Best thing to do is to find out what your needs/preferences are first and try to buy something that meets your needs to avoid being disappointed and try and force a square peg into a round hole.
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Postby djos » June 12th, 2013, 6:52 pm

If you don't mind the lack of auto empty, the Neato is the best all-round mapping Vacuum bot and only bot capable of reliably cleaning an entire decent size house with multiple floor types.

The Korean bots seem optimized mainly for smooth hard floors and don't work as well on carpet.

Neato have had some QC issues but as long as you get a good unit (most of them) they'll provide years of service - my Neato is now on its second set of batteries and still going strong.

You can buy them officially in aus now from DJ's and myer's for around $600 making importing them much less attractive due to having a local warranty.

Karcher is definitely the best non-mapping bot but to clean an entire house you'd have to run it for 6-9 hours and prolly still won't get the same coverage as a good mapping bot.
Current Robot's:
Neato XV-11 w/ Pet Brush-bar & Filter, 3500mAh Batteries
iRobot Scooba 380

Previous Robots:
iRobot Roomba 562PE w/ Aerovac Bin & Sealed-bearing CHM
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby a4refillpad » June 12th, 2013, 7:43 pm

djos wrote:..., the Neato is the best all-round mapping Vacuum bot and only bot capable of reliably cleaning an entire decent size house with multiple floor types.

Thak you @djos, to say it as best all-round is again another example of a polarised view I spoke about. It is a good robot but from my experience not the only one capable of doing that.
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Postby djos » June 12th, 2013, 7:49 pm

a4refillpad wrote:Thak you @djos, to say it as best all-round is again another example of a polarised view I spoke about. It is a good robot but from my experience not the only one capable of doing that.

Excuse me but I clarified my statement quite clearly!

djos wrote:If you don't mind the lack of auto empty, the Neato is the best all-round mapping Vacuum bot and only bot capable of reliably cleaning an entire decent size house with multiple floor types.

I also said:

djos wrote:The Korean bots seem optimized mainly for smooth hard floors and don't work as well on carpet.

and I also went on to say:

djos wrote:Karcher is definitely the best non-mapping bot but to clean an entire house you'd have to run it for 6-9 hours and prolly still won't get the same coverage as a good mapping bot.

What I didnt say was Neato is the best full stop or Karcher is the best full stop! Try reading ppl's posts properly next time!
Last edited by djos on June 12th, 2013, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Robot's:
iRobot Scooba 380

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby a4refillpad » June 12th, 2013, 7:55 pm

I did. Still don't think it is the best all round robot. if you want to go down that route then how is it better than my vorwerk?
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Postby djos » June 12th, 2013, 8:02 pm

a4refillpad wrote:I did. Still don't think it is the best all round robot. if you want to go down that route then how is it better than my vorwerk?

The Vorwerk is a Neato - the only reason I didnt bring it up is here in Australia (were the person asking questions, that restarted this topic, is from) you cant buy the Vorwerk's easily at all so therefore it's irrelevant.

I would call the VR100 king of bots tho as the side brush and Li-On batteries are a worthy upgrade, everything else is pretty much identical to the Neato.
Current Robot's:
iRobot Scooba 380

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby a4refillpad » June 12th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Not to mention greater airflow, faster rpm main brush and better acoustic dampening too. Still not perfect for every scenario I find. Which is my point. He needs to look at the environment he's going to use the bot and make a choice based on that.
Until recently I unfairly dismissed Roombas after testing the 4000 series a long while ago. The 770 has impressed me and I have it somewhere which is perfect for its capabilities.
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Postby djos » June 12th, 2013, 8:16 pm

a4refillpad wrote:Not to mention greater airflow, faster rpm main brush and better acoustic dampening too. Still not perfect for every scenario I find. Which is my point. He needs to look at the environment he's going to use the bot and make a choice based on that.

Which is why i mentioned pro's and cons of a few of the major bots (like Neato's QC issue).

a4refillpad wrote:Until recently I unfairly dismissed Roombas after testing the 500 series a long while ago. The 770 has impressed me and I have it somewhere which is perfect for its capabilities.

That does surprise me, I've owned 500 series Roomba's and I wouldn't touch another of those badly designed, dumb as a brick, high maintenance POS again and I had all the upgrades too (sealed bearings, high cap battery etc etc)! They are so stupid they get confused by dark coloured rugs and triangular room sections!
Last edited by djos on June 12th, 2013, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Robot's:
iRobot Scooba 380

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby a4refillpad » June 12th, 2013, 8:37 pm

(500 was a typo, struggling with android keyboard)
770 cleans deep pile carpet very thoroughly with v good aerovac2 suction, dirt detect and edge cleaning. Its not clever at navigation but cleans very well. Also a lot less noisy than previous gens.
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Postby djos » June 12th, 2013, 8:49 pm

a4refillpad wrote:(500 was a typo, struggling with android keyboard)
770 cleans deep pile carpet very thoroughly with v good aerovac2 suction, dirt detect and edge cleaning. Its not clever at navigation but cleans very well. Also a lot less noisy than previous gens.

From what i've seen Roomba's are still not capable of cleaning more than 2 rooms at a time using VW's - we have a single story house and the Neato cleans every room usually 3 times a week by itself. We have ~60% timber floors, 30% carpet & 10% Tiles and the results are excellent.

We went for a month or so without Neato while I sourced new batteries (1st supplier played sully buggers and only shipped one battery despite the add implying it was a set) and once Rosie was back up and running I ran her in each of our bedrooms individually and after each room I had to empty the bin and clean the filter as there was so crap built up under the beds - It was pretty amazing how much Rosie picked up.

I can remember when we 1st got our Neato (Rosie), I ran Robbie (Roomba 562PE) in our spare room for ~45mins and then ran Rosie, Rosie picked up more crap in 15mins than Robbie did in 45 and didnt need any maintenance afterwards aside from a bin empty and filter clean - Robbie needed his usual 5min teardown to cut all the hair from his brush ends.
Current Robot's:
iRobot Scooba 380

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Robotic Reviews