Kärcher Robocleaner RC3000 review

Read Reviews of the Roomba, Scooba, Dirt Dog, and all other robotic appliances. Or, feel free to write your own.

Kärcher Robocleaner RC3000 review

Postby Fraggboy » March 15th, 2012, 12:15 am

I finished the review and you can read it here.

If I didn't cover something you are wanting to know, let me know.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Re: Kärcher Robocleaner RC3000 review

Postby robocleaner » March 15th, 2012, 2:57 pm

I would've liked to have said something along the lines of "Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed, well thought through and balanced review Chris"... but I can't since "my submission is triggering the spam filter" apparently. So I'll say it here...

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed, well thought through and balanced review Chris!

If your RC3000 holds up as well as all the others on this forum, it looks as if we may have yet another life-long Karcher convert on this forum!
2 x Karcher RC3000 (2005 & 2012), Trilobite ZA1 (2005), Navibot 8855 (2010)
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby Fraggboy » March 15th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Thank you very much for the kind words! I'm hoping that it will hold up also. So far, it looks very promising. :)

Craig had to turn up the spam detection due to the rash of spammers lately. :(
Chris

Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » March 15th, 2012, 4:55 pm

Nice review Chris. Question about it. You mentioned you were excited in 2009 because there was a 120V USA version but by the time you ordered it there was only the European version. Did the 120V version never happen?
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » March 15th, 2012, 4:57 pm

Thank you Mike! :)

Unfortunately, yes. :( They said they stopped producing the 120v sometime ago (They didn't reply as to when they stopped production).
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby robocleaner » March 15th, 2012, 5:45 pm

According to Karcher's Spare Parts list, there are 8 variants in total: These are identical (other than the power cords/plugs) except for variants 105, 107, 108 -
1.269.101 - Europe
1.269.102 - Czechoslovakia
1.269.103 - UK
1.269.104 - Australia
1.269.105 - USA (different vacuum motor and base station control board - voltage)
1.269.106 - Russian (I think)

More recently added into the parts list are:
1.269.107 - identical, except that the RC3000's yellow cosmetic parts are described as being 'neutrally' (could this be the 'white' RC4000 variant?)
1.269.108 - as variant 107, except the robot control board is different and marked as 'KAP'. No idea why.
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby blasto » March 16th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Yeah, that was a great and thorough review. Kudos. I just wrote the company for documentation that they might be able to send me.

I wouldn't even object to the price if it works as advertised. I do worry about there being no US retail support and hearing that it was back ordered just to buy one. I wonder what it would be like if you needed to get parts for it?

I actually like its simplicity. No stupid gimmicks, just utilitarian functionality. From the pictures, the parts look to be the built to typical German high standards.
blasto

Postby Fraggboy » March 16th, 2012, 6:24 pm

If robocleaner has some time to share his story about obtaining parts from Karcher, it's worth a read and will answer your question.

I *do* worry about not having US retail support as well, but I feel confident if I run into any issues, Karcher will treat me right. They did by adding the 5-pack of bags to my order for my compensation. ;)

I agree with you on the manufacturing process. It doesn't feel like cheap plastic. Robocleaner can attest to that!! His accidentally fell down the stairs and only broke a few small parts. :shock: He can elaborate on that.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby robocleaner » March 17th, 2012, 7:26 am

blasto wrote:Yeah, that was a great and thorough review. Kudos. I just wrote the company for documentation that they might be able to send me.

Karchers RC3000 has it's own website/flash presentation here: http://www.robocleaner.de.

blasto wrote:I wouldn't even object to the price if it works as advertised. I do worry about there being no US retail support and hearing that it was back ordered just to buy one.

I think Fraggboy was unlucky with his timing - just a temporary blip in Karchers stock control: I bought a second RC3000 at about the same time, but from a German Electrical Warehouse - they had 20 in stock - and it shipped same day. Price-wise, in Germany, Karcher have significantly reduced the price of the RC3000 to almost match that of the Vorwerk VR100 (650-700 euros). Odd that, isn't it?

blasto wrote:I wonder what it would be like if you needed to get parts for it?

Dead easy as it turns out - you can order on-line. Here's my story:

My first RC3000 will be 7 years old this year, and has run perfectly/without fault in all this time doing 5 upstairs rooms two or three times a week. Then a few weeks ago it fell down a flight of 14 steps - a spiral staircase too... it ran off my upper floor landing, and I heard it bounce/crash down each step in turn to finally find it in my hallway stranded like a little turtle with it's little wheels in the air! I had placed some bedding over the upstairs banister rail to air, and the RC3000 got caught up in it and the cliff sensors didn't see the edge! It's my first accident with it, and it's my own stupid fault!!

Anyway, remarkably/surprisingly, there isn't a scratch on it, but it broke two small nylon stabiliser springs inside - if you trod on it, they would likely break too, but that's about the only damage it'd do - it's a remarkably solid little machine. I've ordered these obscure little parts from Karcher... and the cost of this major calamity? Just GBP £6 including post from Germany! Having never had the need to order spares from Karcher, I was truly amazed at how quickly they responded, that these obscure little parts were there in stock and ready to ship, and how reasonable the cost was!

PIC_0459.JPG
Little nylon stabiliser 'spring' - new part in bag, broken one alongside.

PIC_0464.JPG
Which one fell down a flight of 14 stairs? Err... the one on the right actually, and it'll be 7 years old this year! The left one is brand new!

blasto wrote:I actually like its simplicity. No stupid gimmicks, just utilitarian functionality. From the pictures, the parts look to be the built to typical German high standards.

I couldn't agree more. That's why I've just bought a second one - my Trilobite and Navibot are too much trouble in comparison, so they'll be going.
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » March 17th, 2012, 11:13 am

Fraggboy, great review! :thumbup:

robocleaner, they both look like new 8)
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71 Hobot-168
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby grapedrink » March 23rd, 2012, 12:43 am

I appreciate Spirit Force's comments, but until you try one (as other posters have mentioned), you will not understand how much better the Karcher really is.

I am in Australia and recently (2 weeks ago) bought myself a Karcher RC3000 straight from the Karcher Online Shop (2 year warranty included). All up I paid about $1120AUD and recieved 5 extra filter bags.
Fortunately I did not need a convertor as the voltage ratings are the same for Europe/Australia (almost exact).
So I literally unboxed it and plugged it in and had it running right away with no issues.

Having used Roombas in the past I can now say Karcher got it right the first time back in 2003 when the RC3000 was first introduced.

This thing is truly amazing and superior to the Roomba in every single way. It is so quiet sometimes I don't realise its close by (especially quiet mode).

There is VERY LITTLE maintenance on a monthly basis as opposed to the annoying maintanence needed for almost every clean with a Roomba. I've been running this thing for 2 weeks and have only needed to pull a bit of hair out of the main brush (just flipped the robot over and pulled it out. Took 2 minutes). That is it. No other maintenance.

It climbs mats / power cords / other slightly raised surfaces with ease and does so quietly and efficiently. For such a quiet vacuum you would think it was not powerful. I was mistaken. It is a very powerful and efficient vacuum. Anyone who complains about the cleaning power is gravely mistaken. It is not only powerful but is intelligent enough to cover extra dirty areas effectively (star pattern cleaning for extra dirty areas). Spirit Force mentioned it does not have dirt detect? Thats because it does not need it. What it has is superior to dirt detect, simple but nonetheless effective intelligence.

A couple of times I have watched it adjust its cleaning pattern on the fly based on the terrain and dirt level (it'll slow down and adjust itself in preparation). It is deceptively intelligent and if you pay attention to it, you will pick up on its slight adjustments.

It has really opened my eyes up to the ingenuity of German engineering.

Hopefully iRobot or other companies can come up with something that trumps this, but in the meantime nothing comes close to a Karcher RC3000.
grapedrink
Robot Groupie

Postby robocleaner » March 23rd, 2012, 4:09 am

Hi Grapedrink! You're clearly delighted with your new Karcher. As you point out, you really do need to try one to realise how good the Karcher is... and it helps when you've had experience with other makes - as you have - to realise that. It's always great to see new Karcher owners adding their views and experiences here! :D
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » March 23rd, 2012, 6:17 am

I am confused about one thing. Grapedrink reported the Karcher doesn't have dirt detect yet it can concentrate on dirty areas. How is that accomplished? Just curious.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby grapedrink » March 23rd, 2012, 7:50 am

mfortuna wrote:I am confused about one thing. Grapedrink reported the Karcher doesn't have dirt detect yet it can concentrate on dirty areas. How is that accomplished? Just curious.

There are two optical sensors (the emitter and the receiver) inside the dust bin. When it's running on a dirty surface, the dirt / debris flows between the emitter and the receiver. When the RC3000 rolls over a dirty area it slows down, and starts to go forward and back, forward and back... and so on in a star pattern.

Fairly simple and very effective.
Last edited by grapedrink on January 9th, 2013, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
grapedrink
Robot Groupie

Postby grapedrink » March 23rd, 2012, 8:09 am

robocleaner wrote:Hi Grapedrink! You're clearly delighted with your new Karcher. As you point out, you really do need to try one to realise how good the Karcher is... and it helps when you've had experience with other makes - as you have - to realise that. It's always great to see new Karcher owners adding their views and experiences here! :D

cheers mate. Appreciate the welcome. Hopefully these discussions help users decide on which device is best for them =)
grapedrink
Robot Groupie

Postby mfortuna » March 23rd, 2012, 8:14 am

grapedrink wrote:
mfortuna wrote:I am confused about one thing. Grepadrink reported the Karcher doesn't have dirt detect yet it can concentrate on dirty areas. How is that accomplished? Just curious.

There are two optical sensors (the emitter and the receiver) inside the dust bin. When it's running on a dirty surface, the dirt / debris flows between the emitter and the receiver. In such cases robot starts to go forward and back, and forward and back... and so on in a star pattern.

Fairly simple and very effective.

Thanks, I should have read Fraggboy's review again.

The nice thing is we have choices on robots. Some like the hassle free Karcher, the multiple pass and ability to go under things of the roomba, or the great navigation of the Neato.

I think the answer is buy which ever one you like best.
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » March 23rd, 2012, 9:30 am

Grapedrink,

Welcome to Robot Reviews (A little late tho. Worked 5 hours OT last night and didn't come home until very late.)

Thank you for sharing your experience with your new Karcher!!

EDIT: This thread has been cleaned up of certain posts. I had to remove several members' posts to keep it fluid.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby grapedrink » March 26th, 2012, 7:51 am

Fraggboy wrote:Grapedrink,

Welcome to Robot Reviews (A little late tho. Worked 5 hours OT last night and didn't come home until very late.)

Thank you for sharing your experience with your new Karcher!!

EDIT: This thread has been cleaned up of certain posts. I had to remove several members' posts to keep it fluid.

No worries mate. I love how absolutely problem free the robot is. I've had it for 3 weeks now and its running as smoothly as ever. I also like how portable it is. I just unplug it and grab the carry handle on the base and carry the robot in the other hand and take it upstairs to clean there. I leave it upstairs till I'm satisfied with how clean the carpet is in the four different rooms. When its done, I just bring both back downstairs. No virtual wall mess, no cleaning parts or emptying filters or whatever else these other robotic vacuums require after vacuuming. Simple and elegant and its ready to clean downstairs whenever I leave the house.

It really is the definition of what an AUTONOMOUS robot cleaner should be.

So much thought has gone into this product to ensure its hassle free. :dance:
grapedrink
Robot Groupie

Postby angelgirl » May 30th, 2012, 11:04 pm

I have owned a Robocleaner RC3000 for many years.

I purchased it from the USA and because I live in Australia, I needed to get a big and heavy transformer to use it.

I have tried many robot vacuum cleaners, including ones with the "latest and greatest" technology and I can say without a doubt, that none of them hold a candle to Robocleaner. It is without a shadow of a doubt, the best
money can buy!

I would like to purchase one that does not need to use a transformer in Australia. Can anyone tell me where
I can get one?

Thanks,
Angela
angelgirl

Postby grapedrink » October 7th, 2012, 9:26 pm

angelgirl wrote:I would like to purchase one that does not need to use a transformer in Australia. Can anyone tell me where
I can get one?

Hi Angela,

You can buy one directly from Karcher in Germany:
http://www.kaerchershop-schreiber.de/kr ... p-301.html

I Imported mine straight from Germany (I also live in Australia).

I don't need a transformer, all I need is an adapter (tiny piece of plastic).

Cheers!
grapedrink
Robot Groupie

Next

Return to Robotic Reviews