Mopper or Vacuum Cleaner

This forum is dedicated to discussion about issues concerning customers who are outside the continental US. Where to buy, warranty and shipping issues, and all other questions about robots outside the United States go here.

Mopper or Vacuum Cleaner

Postby Sparks-UK » October 6th, 2018, 10:08 am

I live in a small one bedroom apartment. It's all on one floor and I have mainly wood laminate hard floors all over, but tiles in my small bathroom. I don't know whether I should be looking for a robot Vacuum or robot mopper - I hear the hybrid mopper and vacuum aren't very good so need to pick mopper of vacuum.
When I clean my flat, out of habit I just sweep the dirt into a pile and then use a dustpan and brush to throw it in the trash/bin. I then mop the floors with hot soapy water and disinfectant or a small bit of bleach. That's the way I've always done it.

Any suggestions on what's best for me?

When I read reviews about robot mops they say 'robot mopper and sweeper' but don't say where they sweep everything to. Do they sweep all the dirt into a pile and then mop everywhere else but the pile?

Any insights would be great.
Sparks-UK

Re: Mopper or Vacuum Cleaner

Postby mfortuna » October 6th, 2018, 10:34 am

My Mint which is an old model navigates the entire floor but doesn't deposit debris. It picks it up with the cleaning pad which then needs to be washed. I usually run a Roomba or Neato to pick up debris and then have the Mint mop up dirt/stains remaining.

The Scooba which is no longer available from Irobot does both the vacuum and mop functions.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Re: Mopper or Vacuum Cleaner

Postby Brett » October 6th, 2018, 10:05 pm

My 2c:

The combo ones are indeed cr@p. (In order to try sell an inferior robot vacuum, they slap a damp mircofibre rag on it and plug it as being a mop too - it isn't.)

Even the better mopping robots (Brava) are not on a par with robot vacuums in terms of efficiency; autonomy; life expectancy; etc. I'd say get the best robot vacuum you can, and use it regularly. Then you can do a quick manual mop much less frequently than otherwise.

(-B
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Return to International Robotics Forum