Neato D7 arrived dead and will not charge

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato D7 arrived dead and will not charge

Postby tzptrans » January 10th, 2019, 12:44 am

I recently purchased a Neato D7 and when it arrived, the device did not have a charge at all and will not charge the battery when placed on the charger. I've tried two different batteries at this point. The device will turn on and connect to WiFi when placed on the charger. The output from a diagnostic test is below:

____ Discrete: ____=
SNSR_DC_JACK_IS_IN=False
SNSR_DUSTBIN_IS_IN=True
SNSR_LEFT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
SNSR_RIGHT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
LSIDEBIT=False
LFRONTBIT=False
LLDSBIT=False
RSIDEBIT=False
RFRONTBIT=False
RLDSBIT=False
____ Analog: ____=
BatteryVoltage=mV=0
BatteryCurrent=mA=0
BatteryTemperature=mC=0
ExternalVoltage=mV=18964
AccelerometerX=mG=-33
AccelerometerY=mG=17
AccelerometerZ=mG=1005
CompassmeterX=mG=0
CompassmeterY=mG=0
CompassmeterZ=mG=0
GyroscopeX=dps=486
GyroscopeY=dps=-17
GyroscopeZ=dps=-189
IMUAccelerometerX=mG=0
IMUAccelerometerY=mG=0
IMUAccelerometerZ=mG=0
VacuumCurrent=mA=0
SideBrushCurrent=mA=0
MagSensorLeft=VAL=0
MagSensorRight=VAL=0
WallSensor=mm=255
DropSensorLeft=mm=0
DropSensorRight=mm=0
____ Buttons: ____=
BTN_SOFT_KEY=False
BTN_SCROLL_UP=False
BTN_START=False
BTN_BACK=False
BTN_SCROLL_DOWN=False
BTN_SPOT=False
IR_BTN_HOME=False
IR_BTN_SPOT=False
IR_BTN_ECO=False
IR_BTN_UP=False
IR_BTN_DOWN=False
IR_BTN_RIGHT=False
IR_BTN_LEFT=False
IR_BTN_START=False
IR_BTN_LEFT_ARC=False
IR_BTN_RIGHT_ARC=False
____ Charger: ____=
FuelPercent=0
BatteryOverTemp=0
ChargingActive=1
ChargingEnabled=1
ConfidentOnFuel=0
OnReservedFuel=0
EmptyFuel=1
BatteryFailure=0
ExtPwrPresent=1
ThermistorPresent=1
BattTempCAvg=0
VBattV=0.00
VExtV=18.96
Charger_mAH=0
Discharge_mAH=0

It is quite interesting that the battery voltage reads 0 mV and am not really sure where to go from here. I have done all of the preliminary troubleshooting and still have not come to a solution. Also I have checked for any errors and none are present. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
tzptrans

Re: Neato D7 arrived dead and will not charge

Postby HiTec » January 10th, 2019, 10:34 am

Please post a getversion log also. You can delete serial numbers from that log if you dont want to share them.

Remove battery beneath the lid (two philips screws, it doesnt void warranty so its safe) and check the battery metal connectors. You can tight them with small flathead screw drivers. Then reinstall battery and test.

You could also check battery voltage directly from the connector, with multimeter.

Edit: Oh sorry, i didnt saw you already tried to different batteries.

You could try to setfuelgauge 50 to see if it has any help, i doubt, because it doesnt see any battery voltage. It also cant see battery temperature, even though log says thermistor is present, so is suspect there is a problem in the battery circuit on motherboard.
HiTec
Robot Groupie

Postby tzptrans » January 10th, 2019, 10:24 pm

GetVersion
Component,Major,Minor,Build,Aux
BaseID,0.0,0.0,0,0,
Beehive URL, beehive.neatocloud.com,
BlowerType,1,BLOWER_ORIG,
Bootloader Version,44980,,
BrushMotorResistorPowerRating,500,,
BrushMotorResistorResistance,100,,
BrushMotorType,1,BRUSH_MOTOR_ORIG,
BrushSpeed,1400,,
BrushSpeedEco,1100,,
ChassisRev,1,,
DropSensorType,1,DROP_SENSOR_ORIG,
LCD Panel,0,0,0,
LDS CPU,F2802x/c701,,
LDS Serial,xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,,
LDS Software,V3.2.13,0000000000,
LDSMotorType,2,LDS_MOTOR_MABUCHI,
Locale,1,LOCALE_USA,
MagSensorType,1,MAG_SENSOR_ORIG,
MainBoard Serial Number,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
MainBoard Version,5,,
Model,BotVacD7Connected,905-0415,
NTP URL, pool.ntp.org,
Nucleo URL, nucleo.neatocloud.com,
QAState,QA_STATE_APPROVED
Serial Number,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,P
SideBrushPower,1500,,
SideBrushType,2,SIDE_BRUSH_PRESENT,
SmartBatt Authorization,0
SmartBatt Data Version,0
SmartBatt Device Chemistry,
SmartBatt Device Name,
SmartBatt Manufacturer Name,
SmartBatt Mfg Year/Month/Day,0,0,0
SmartBatt Serial Number,0
SmartBatt Software Version,0
Software Git SHA,xxxxxx
Software,4,4,0,72,0
Time Local,Thu Jan 10 21:17:07 2019
Time UTC,Fri Jan 11 02:17:07 2019
UI Board Hardware,0,0,
UI Board Software,0,0,
UI Name,NONE
UI Version,NONE
VacuumPwr,70,,
VacuumPwrEco,60,,
WallSensorType,1,WALL_SENSOR_ORIG,
WheelPodType,1,WHEEL_POD_ORIG,

The results from getversion are above. I would try the setfuelgauge command, however I cannot enter test mode without some charge on the battery. Side note, I did the readings with the battery inserted in the previous output and did them again without the battery inserted and the results were exactly the same. It like the device is not detecting the battery at all. Does anyone know how to test the battery externally to see if it is a problem with it? I tried a multimeter on the red and black wires in the battery wire loom, but I didn't read any voltage there...
tzptrans

Postby HiTec » January 11th, 2019, 9:20 am

All Getversion logs SmartBatt details are empty, it just doesnt recognize battery at all. I suspect that either the robots motherboard battery connector is broken/bad soldering, or the Maxim fuel gauge chip is dead or it has a bad soldering. If its under warranty, you should return it. If it isnt, then we can move onwards to fix this thing.

Edit: You didnt get any voltage readings directly from the battery leads? Did you tested both batteries? Then the problem is on the battery itself.
HiTec
Robot Groupie

Postby tzptrans » January 11th, 2019, 11:38 am

Thanks for the reply. No there is not an active warranty in place and yes, I tried to measure the voltage from the battery harness and could not read any voltage from either battery. The weird thing is, I removed the heat shrink from one of the batteries and tested the individual cells and got 2.8 V per cell and the entire pack was reading about 8.5 V, but nothing could be read from the harness with the multimeter.
tzptrans

Postby vic7767 » January 11th, 2019, 12:56 pm

There is obviously an open circuit somewhere within the battery wiring harness.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby HiTec » January 11th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Cell voltages are seriously below their design limits. I think the battery protection circuit cuts of outputs from the battery and thats why you cant detect voltage from the leads. You should try to charge the cells with RC lithium battery charger and then see if the battery outputs are active.
HiTec
Robot Groupie

Postby tzptrans » January 12th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Thank you all for the help this far. Does anyone know what these batteries should read if they are brand new. I had a few more sent to me and the one that came yesterday didn't seen to read any voltage from the harness either. Is there a way to charge the pack enough without being in the vacuum that the protection circuit will close the circuit again?
tzptrans

Postby tzptrans » January 14th, 2019, 3:19 pm

I have tested 5 different batteries and none of them read any voltage from the harness (red & black). Is this supposed to read voltage? I am confused as to why all of these new batteries would be defective or extremely discharged... The most recent one tested was purchased from Amazon with one day shipping. Could anyone elaborate on this?
tzptrans

Postby tzptrans » January 14th, 2019, 7:51 pm

To anyone who might be having the same issue, replacing the battery with one bought from amazon did the trick for my vacuum. The previous batteries I had came from the person who I bought the D7 from originally and apparently they were either all defective or all extremely discharged. I tested all 5 batteries with a multimeter and found that none of them would return a voltage by testing from the harness, but the battery from Amazon charged once place in the D7, which none of the other would. Thanks to everyone who helped out.
tzptrans

Return to Neato Robotics