Review of the Neato XV-11 – “The Roomba Killer”

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Review of the Neato XV-11 – “The Roomba Killer”

Postby sageman » September 26th, 2010, 10:05 am

wow thats cool
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » October 7th, 2010, 1:17 pm

Fraggboy wrote:I noticed that there is some debris getting past the filter and into the motor housing. I noticed this when I blew out the Neato with compressed air. With this, I feel that there might be an early vacuum fan failure due to this. This is before I started washing the filters.

I have the same problem. I think the reason is the space between the dustbin and filter is not sealed too much, and the dust is blow through this gap.
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby Scott up north » October 7th, 2010, 8:06 pm

".....the space between the dustbin and filter is not sealed too much, and the dust is blow through this gap."

Could one place some tape (electrical tape or such) around the edges of the filter to seal this gap?
Scott up north
Robot Groupie

Postby sageman » October 8th, 2010, 4:32 pm

i would have thort do cant see why not
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby tmnCA » November 27th, 2010, 11:23 pm

tmnCA
Robot Addict

Postby Wing Nut » September 18th, 2011, 3:35 am

tmnCA wrote:A less favorable review:
http://www.chipchick.com/2010/10/neato- ... eview.html
As a recent Neato buyer, having lurked and read all the reviews for a year or more, I thought I should mention on this well-read sticky thread that the above review is almost a year old now and, despite the update, I don't think Chipchick's Neatos are really representative of current stock. For instance, my week old Neato doesn't whack into everything it encounters, as suggested in the review, damaging paint and furnishings. When it does touch, it's more a gentle tap as if confirming what it had already 'seen' or had mapped previously :shifty:

Hope this helps others who might be contemplating a Neato. I'm very happy with mine - it makes housework fun ... to watch! :)
#1 Neato XV-11 SW 2.0 Board Rev 113 / 3500mAh battery pack installed May 2013 / Pet & Allergy pack installed Sept 2013. In July 2014, received and repaired a faulty #2 Neato XV-11, running Lithium Power 4400mAh battery since July 2015
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Postby FreddyTex » September 19th, 2011, 1:10 am

I've got 2 XV-15. They don't bump into furniture (even dark brown) like a roomba 780 does. They always dock and behave a logical pattern. Just in one word: it's the best device I've ever seen.... and I've got them all.

The XV-15 will change the market shares over here because he's cheap positioned compared to a cosmetical improved 581, also known as roomba 570.

Combination of suction power, less maintenance and get rid of those riduculous lighthouses that work half of the time.
FreddyTex
Robot Groupie

Postby davelfc » April 25th, 2012, 9:43 am

I've been a Roomba owner for a long time, was up until last week still using my Discovery imported from the US. It's had a few batteries, brushes and filters along the way and I've loved it.

Just a couple of weeks ago I moved to an apartment from a house and it is all wooden floors on one level. This was a chance for roomba to shine, literally. Unfortunately four days into the job it decided it wanted to do a little dance instead of clean. Weird as it cleans for a while each time before appearing to get scared of its own shadow.

Anyway I'd read about the Neato and deciding roomba should be retired I ordered one. it arrived the next day. Now I've been using a standard vacuum in the flat and of course before it dancing career took off, roomba had cleaned the place.

Once charged I released Neato on its way. The difference is night and day. No more attacking wires, looking for things to topple and bumping around in a drunken haze. Now an almost logical uniformity to cleaning as if driven by a hamster genius. Yes it's noisy but for me not having something continually bump and thump its way around is brilliant.

If I could improve it I would add a bristle brush to save the paddling noise on the floor and I hope to do that with the help of someone that can order that part for me. But it cleaned my entire flat in 45 minutes. (ok I didn't let it in the bathrooms or the spare bedroom) The dust bin was almost full, I was surprised so sent it out again.

I was going to see if I could get my roomba repaired but after using the Neato I don't think I could ever go back to the thumping and thudding again.
davelfc

Postby humanoid » February 28th, 2016, 4:25 am

davelfc wrote:If I could improve it I would add a bristle brush to save the paddling noise on the floor and I hope to do that with the help of someone that can order that part for me. But it cleaned my entire flat in 45 minutes. (ok I didn't let it in the bathrooms or the spare bedroom) The dust bin was almost full, I was surprised so sent it out again.
What neato do you have? You can get bristle brush kits, and they also come with a bristle/blade hybrid brushes (half bristle half blades). I haven't tries those since people recommend blades for hardwood, and I am not at home when it runs (and when I am I close the door).

The noise is partly because of a stronger vacuum, like the longer brush which creates more noise than a shorter brush.
humanoid
Robot Groupie

Postby ivico » June 1st, 2016, 7:33 pm

Hi,
Is any of the Neatos owned by the initial posters of this thread still working?
I really want to buy one but I'm running into serious concerns related to the Neato bots durability in time, so could you people tell me what was the average lifetime of your Neato bots and whether any of you had one running more than 2 years without breaking (by breaking I mean returning it for service)?
Thanks.
ivico

Postby djos » June 1st, 2016, 8:05 pm

ivico wrote:Hi,
I really want to buy one but I'm running into serious concerns related to the Neato bots durability in time, so could you people tell me what was the average lifetime of your Neato bots and whether any of you had one running more than 2 years without breaking (by breaking I mean returning it for service)?
Thanks.

I've got 3x working XV-11's and a BotVac 80 - typically if they dont fail in warranty and you properly look after them (eg give them a proper clean once a month) they last for many years.

I buy "non working" secondhand XV series bots quite frequently and all they need is a tear down and clean (occasionally some parts, mainly a new battery or screen) to restore them to full working order. They are built quite tough and are very durable.
Current Robot's:
Neato BotVac 80 w/ Li-NMC Battery , 2x XV11 w/ Li-NMC Battery
iRobot Roomba 561 w/ NiMh Battery & Aerovac Bin, Scooba 380 w/ Li-NMC Battery

Previous Robots:
iRobot Roomba 562PE w/ Aerovac Bin & Sealed-bearing CHM
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby gtaouil » October 24th, 2016, 5:10 am

djos wrote:
ivico wrote:Hi,
Thanks.

I've got 3x working XV-11's and a BotVac 80 - typically if they dont fail in warranty and you properly look after them (eg give them a proper clean once a month) they last for many years.

I buy "non working" secondhand XV series bots quite frequently and all they need is a tear down and clean (occasionally some parts, mainly a new battery or screen) to restore them to full working order. They are built quite tough and are very durable.

After 4 year using my neato I have to change two times the battery and I have to change de lidar motor one time. it cleans my house every single day. It's a good worker.
gtaouil

Postby Wing Nut » October 24th, 2016, 8:22 am

ivico wrote:Hi, Is any of the Neatos owned by the initial posters of this thread still working?

I've got two 5+ year old XV-11s that are still going strong. One was a 'rescue' from a friend, needing some serious cleaning inside and a couple of minor DIY repairs. My own original XV-11 needed a suspension spring reattached and a capacitor replaced - typical early model faults and fairly simple DIY jobs.

They've both scored new batteries at around 15 - 18 month intervals, although recently I've swapped to Lithium packs which should last longer. For someone keen to find an excuse for a new Botvac, I think I'll be waiting a while yet :think:
#1 Neato XV-11 SW 2.0 Board Rev 113 / 3500mAh battery pack installed May 2013 / Pet & Allergy pack installed Sept 2013. In July 2014, received and repaired a faulty #2 Neato XV-11, running Lithium Power 4400mAh battery since July 2015
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Previous

Return to Neato Robotics