Review of the Neato XV-11 – “The Roomba Killer”

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Review of the Neato XV-11 – “The Roomba Killer”

Postby Fraggboy » September 9th, 2010, 4:26 pm

All,

I have finished my review of the Neato XV-11 review located here
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Re: Review of the Neato XV-11 – “The Roomba Killer”

Postby sageman » September 9th, 2010, 6:27 pm

i guess after a while you will be able to do a whole run without emptying the bin

also does it have a "bin full" function
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby neato » September 9th, 2010, 7:59 pm

About washing the filter:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13371#p81480
neato
Neato Special Guest

Postby Fraggboy » September 9th, 2010, 8:26 pm

sageman wrote:i guess after a while you will be able to do a whole run without emptying the bin

also does it have a "bin full" function

My house is at that point. My Neato runs every day and I don't have to empty the bin 2 times per run (Plus it doesn't get that full now).

The robot doesn't have a bin full feature. The neato knows when you empty the bin tho.

Correction: The XV-11 is capable of alarming you that the dust bin is full. I just never experienced this yet.
Chris

Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby sageman » September 9th, 2010, 8:29 pm

the first person to tell us what the neato was like said that it had stopped saying the bin was full im sure of it I will just find it

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover

sageman
Robot Addict

Postby Fraggboy » September 9th, 2010, 8:30 pm

neato wrote:About washing the filter:

I saw that, but I'm concerned about one thing. Before I started cycling between the two filters and washing them I noticed that there is some debris getting past the filter and into the motor housing. I noticed this when I blew out the Neato with compressed air. With this, I feel that there might be an early vacuum fan failure due to this. This is before I started washing the filters.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » September 9th, 2010, 8:31 pm

sageman wrote:the first person to tell us what the neato was like said that it had stopped saying the bin was full im sure of it i will just find it

Interesting. The first run for me the dust bin was pretty full (Picture in the review). The XV-11 didn't warn me of the full dust bin. I came home and found it on the charger with no warning messages displayed.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby sageman » September 9th, 2010, 8:40 pm

here it is not the first person but dont really matter

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12989

neato could you help us out hear please

sageman
Robot Addict

Postby Fraggboy » September 9th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Then I guess my dust bin wasn't full enough then to trigger that alarm (I guess I could view that as a blessing). My XV-11 hasn't notified me about anything. It just cleans when it's supposed to and is on the dock every time. I empty out the dust bin after every run.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » September 10th, 2010, 6:40 am

Fraggboy wrote:I saw that, but I'm concerned about one thing. Before I started cycling between the two filters and washing them I noticed that there is some debris getting past the filter and into the motor housing. I noticed this when I blew out the Neato with compressed air. With this, I feel that there might be an early vacuum fan failure due to this. This is before I started washing the filters.

This is the reason why you - Neato - should put in the market real HEPA filter. In this one shouldn't occur that what Fraggboy describe above.
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » September 10th, 2010, 6:44 am

Fraggboy wrote:
sageman wrote:the first person to tell us what the neato was like said that it had stopped saying the bin was full im sure of it i will just find it

Interesting. The first run for me the dust bin was pretty full (Picture in the review). The XV-11 didn't warn me of the full dust bin. I came home and found it on the charger with no warning messages displayed.

Fraggboy, your house is too clean :mrgreen: Maybe XV-11 doesn't feel that the bis is full and this is the reason.

Some from off-topic:

I remember, that some time ago one of the Trilobite owner tells on the forum, that the "bin-full" message was announced when the dustbin wasn't complete full, just half. Maybe it is because the small particles just blocked the filter?

In your situation may be the other way around - there are too little small particles too blocking the filter and Neato's bin sensor is not able to detect that the bin is full (even it is) because the air flow through the bin and filter is still good enough.

I'm just guessing :)
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby eqwalker » September 10th, 2010, 10:37 am

The issue of dust getting past the filter does concern me, but unless it is a HEPA filter (which would probably cut down on some of the suction due to the filter being thicker to catch the dust) I don't know if it can be improved. I can say that one of my Trilobites failed (error code 4, which I still don't know what it means) and I finally broke into it to try to repair it and found that dust gets through it's filters as well. I am one that always keeps clean filters in my bots to try to maintain their life. When I opened up the Trilobite I found that it's fan actually exhausts into the housing itself which has the electronics board and wheel drive motors as well. The main circuit board was completely caked over in dust as well as the wheel motors themselves. I was shocked to see this. The vacuum motor actually sits on top of the board and blows out it's vacuum motor exhaust across the board then out the upper side vents. I would have thought they would have ducted the exhaust to the side vents but I guess they didn't want any additional back pressure on the fan (to optimize vacuum power) and to use the exhaust air as a cooling for the board and wheel drive motors. I'm going to have to blow out the Trilobite to get it clean again. This disappoints me to find that Electrolux designed the Trilobite in this manner and I know for definite sure that I have always kept good clean filters in it before every run and I have never had the bin filled to full capacity. At least with the Neato (and you can correct if I'm wrong) it appears that it's exhaust does not go into the electronics compartment of the robot and it just exhaust straight out the back thus keeping it's insides clean.
eqwalker
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » September 10th, 2010, 12:28 pm

@eqwalker

Did you saw Navibot's HEPA filter? It is HEPA but it is not thick (rather very slim/flat), because it has another shape than these which are in upright vacuums. And I don't think that this type of HEPA filter could disturb the free movement of air too much. As I think :)
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » September 10th, 2010, 1:24 pm

eqwalker wrote:At least with the Neato (and you can correct if I'm wrong) it appears that it's exhaust does not go into the electronics compartment of the robot and it just exhaust straight out the back thus keeping it's insides clean.

You are correct eqwalker. The pictures Craig took shows the flow to go right outside. The only component affected is the fan motor.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby sageman » September 10th, 2010, 1:50 pm

hopefully the motor itself wont be affected just the blades getting dusty

mabey the motor is completly seperate from the airflow all boxed off etc

sageman
Robot Addict

Postby neato » September 10th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Fraggboy wrote:
neato wrote:About washing the filter:

I saw that, but I'm concerned about one thing. Before I started cycling between the two filters and washing them I noticed that there is some debris getting past the filter and into the motor housing. I noticed this when I blew out the Neato with compressed air. With this, I feel that there might be an early vacuum fan failure due to this. This is before I started washing the filters.

The Neato vacuum is designed to handle the dust that escapes into the system when the dust bin is emptied. Removing the dust bin exposes the input port on the robot and the dust bin and debris can fall into the robot from that. This is a very small amount of debris and it will not shorten the life or performance of the vacuum. Running the Neato without a dust filter is obviously very different and very bad for the vacuum.

Instead of washing the filter, which removes the static charge that traps superfine particles, you can clean the filter very well with a small handi vac. It's up to you if you want to vacuum out the dust bin and the inside of the robot while you are at it.
neato
Neato Special Guest

Postby sageman » September 10th, 2010, 6:40 pm

a bit off subject i know
but i think it would be great if neato offerd the dust bin you see in the adverts the one with the clear top

sageman
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » September 10th, 2010, 6:57 pm

I agree with sageman. Would be great to see how xv-11 work at live :)
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » September 10th, 2010, 8:27 pm

That would be cool, and I bet there would be a demand for it.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby sageman » September 10th, 2010, 8:41 pm

roomba too infact any robot hoover

sageman
Robot Addict

Next

Return to Neato Robotics