Review of the Neato XV-11 – “The Roomba Killer”

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Review of the Neato XV-11 – “The Roomba Killer”

Postby Las Vegas » September 20th, 2010, 11:03 am

I'd be glad to buy you a new one on me. Feel free to let me know where to send it to and I will order it today.
Las Vegas

Postby Fraggboy » September 20th, 2010, 2:22 pm

Thank you for the kind offer, but I'm really trying to get in a certain situation. I'm trying to get it to where I don't have to intervene with the robots in my home (Less intervention). More autonomous. I know the XV-11 isn't fully autonomous, but IMHO it's closer than the Roomba can provide (For now). Running the Roomba, I have to empty out the dust bin, and remove and clean the brushes after every run. It doesn't take a long time, but unfortunately my schedule is hectic and it is getting busier. If I forget to clean out the brushes one run, what can happen did in my case. Melt the CHM.

I really wish that iRobot would fix this (major) flaw in the CHM. I truly loved my 560. I've owned a Roomba quite some time now. For me, it's time for a change. Maybe the XV-11 will pan out and last longer than the 560 has for me (After these few setbacks of the XV-11). Maybe iRobot is finalizing a new CHM that fixes these issues and will be announced during the CES show. Time will tell. But for me, I'm really liking how the XV-11 handles my home (When it runs). Despite me sending my robot in and be robot-less for a little while. I will give them that chance. After all, iRobot has come a LONG way themselves. :)

Anyways, here are the pictures of my CHM.

This is the plastic that was malformed a little due to the excessive heat:
P9201266.JPG

It basically loosened up the metal shaft where I could remove it. I epoxied the shaft in place which held, but the cover is where the issue lies:
P9201268.JPG

This is the problem area. The cover melted and was deformed due to the excessive heat:
P9201269.JPG

Outside of the cover isn't too bad, but it still binds up pretty bad:
P9201270.JPG
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby Las Vegas » September 20th, 2010, 4:29 pm

Fraggboy, I agree that there is much room for improvement with the Roomba. There is an enormous difference that would literally shock you to the maintenance that there is between the aero vac bin and the older style bin and yes I have had both. I have a 2 story 3000sq. ft. house and have a costco 551 on each floor. My 551 from costco was one of the original that have light houses and the older style dirt collection while my newer one has the aero vac bin but no lighthouses. After getting thye newer 551 I was shocked by 2 things, 1) The amount of pickup from the aero vac bin (much more), 2) the cleanliness of the brushes (much more). The aero vac bin also has a much more substantial filter that follows a track in amd out for removal and putting it back in. I use both of mine every morning in a house with 3 cates and 2 boys, living in Las Vegas that has more dust than most people could ever imagine. Both bins are always full and both robots always dock correctly (unless they get caught in a closet that the kids have left open, (they push the door closed and lock themselves in). The nice part is I built a small table that both robots dock under and are completely out of sight. I clean my chm every 3 months and it takes 15 minutes and they run like new (yes, it is ridiculous that they have to be cleaned at all). I have followed the Neato since it has been on the interenet and hope that it improves with age. I expect issues as with any new product but the ones that are showing up I find difficult to understand because they seem so basic (docking, clock, squeege). We know with time and many cleaning cycles we are going to see other issues. I have watched evry video on the neato that I can find and like many others on this forum I love technology but I feel as if so many people have gotten into the fad that smart robots vs. dumb robots are more important than actually cleaning the floors. I dont care if its 1 pass cleaning or 10 pass cleaning as long as its clean and the neato Im assuming has better suction than the Roomba by what you guys say but that is not the way a normal vacuum with much higher suction than the neato works. Go to any true vacuum store and watch the amount of dirt that their high end vacuums pick up after 2 or 3 passes with a dyson, I was amazed. Multiple passes in different direction may drive a person crazy to watch but in the end will get the floor cleaner, ask any professional vacuum store owner. I hope your neato gets fixed correctly and works as well as hope for but u should try an aero vac bin. By the way a 551 at costco cost $270 and if there is ever a problem withe chm or battery call irobot customer servive send you out a new one in 2 days.
Las Vegas

Postby sageman » September 20th, 2010, 6:40 pm

the differance beetween the neato and roomba for their first models is huge

roomba: no docking
no reatern clean
not mutch at all reley
most probs mechanical

neato: docking
reatern clean
acctualy lots more than roomba thus more complicated
most probs mainly firmware which can be fixed with a ne firmware

thus neato having to come up to more think of the coding that has to be made to get somthing to dock its a wonder they can do it at all
squeege well 1st roombas wheel rubber came off how simpal is that chm im sure they know how to fix it just cant be botherd cos they know people will just keep buying them regardless

i know i might sound like im having a grope at you but im not honastly
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby Las Vegas » September 20th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Sageman, for you to think something would be a simple fix but irobot can't be bothered because they know people will keep buying them the way they are is ridiculous. If that were true then why would they be on their 5th generation when people were buying their 1st generation. I'm in a medical device company and hear everyday why dont we make simple changes to what seems like simple fixs, but when you talk to the engineers that design these products you find out that the fixs are never as simple as expected. The idea that docking the neato is more complicated may be true but to the customer who the heck cares how complicated it is, we just expect it to work. You seem to have the inside track with all the problems the neato has are simple fixs that will easily be remedied and that all the roomba issues are the result of a company that just doesnt care. I'm interested to know how you know this.
Las Vegas

Postby sageman » September 20th, 2010, 9:08 pm

theyre on the 5th gen because people like it when a new gen comes out take mobile phones for example the same thing just a bit better im not saying that irobot doesn't care but with the chm i do they did do a bearing chm possibly because somone had heard of vic's mod but the managers to stop irobot looking stupid changed it to sheilded it didnt work so they went back to normal the engineers at irobot are fantastic they must be but i honestly think that irobot doesent care because anymore most peple in the us have heard of them all the other good brands apart from neato are in the £1,000/£500 mark so unless you have that money if you want something that does the job probably but only want to spend £200 roomba is the only way to go and also theres the goldylox price thing "oh thats a bit cheap prolly wont work to well" "oh thats expensive theyre just getting my mony" etc so in affect people through theyre own choice are almost forced to buy a roomba

current neato problems

clock it MAY just be a alteration of some sort of marjin from what was said about this issue

docking could be some un-needed/not enough lines in the code which mucks things up in some circumstance or the "thing" that guides neato onto the base may not be strong enough in some circumstances although i expect its software thats doing it

the blinkey screen thing-prolly some bad soldering screen not connected to board probably

i cant think of any more probs at the mo im too tired its 2 am ive been writing this for half an hour

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover

sageman
Robot Addict

Postby tmnCA » September 21st, 2010, 1:18 am

Las Vegas, I for one have not seen this miraculous improvement in my Roomba by using the aerovac bin, in fact I did an experiment and have photos I will be posting. The amount of hair on the ends of the brushes is the same as with the old bin. The type of debris picked up is slightly different thought the overall amount seems about the same. Anyway, this is a thread about Neato, right?
tmnCA
Robot Addict

Docking

Postby desmisc » September 21st, 2010, 5:04 am

I just got my Neato and returned my Roomba which I had for about 15 days. I like the Neato better so far.

One issue that I noticed is that when it tries to dock it kinda slams into the dock then raises up it tail end then plops down again and starts recharging. The dock is successful but then sometimes it smoothly backs into the dock and starts to recharge.

Also, with the Roomba I could simply press DOCK and it would return and dock. I am confused about how to stop the Neato and instruct it to return and dock.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave, Las Vegas, NV
desmisc

Postby Fraggboy » September 21st, 2010, 8:32 am

Dave,

I have watched my XV-11 dock a couple of times (The other times I haven't been around), and it backed up smoothly. I can't comment if mine has backed up hard and lifted itself off the ground. Every time it has run, it has successfully docked.

To return the XV-11 to the base while running, you have to press the power button. This will pause the XV-11. Then you can scroll to Return to Dock and select that. Here is what Neato stated on the manual docking feature:

neato wrote:Finding the base is a process for the Neato. Your video and description don't have enough detail to know why the Neato did not find the base. The setup of the base in the video, flat on the floor, against the wall, with 3' clearance on both sided and front is correct. If the Neato does not know where the base is it will return to the starting point, like it is doing in the video.

Placing the Neato in front of the base and sending it to the base will not dock it. Starting the Neato and letting it move around a little bit and then sending it back to the base is also not enough for it to dock.

If the Neato is able to navigate and return to the area of the base then the problem is connected to the location of the base in the floor plan. Try putting the base in a standard sized room with the door closed, like a bedroom, and have the Neato clean the single room. If it can find the base and dock then you can try placing the base in other areas.
Chris

Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby sageman » September 21st, 2010, 8:51 am

ive just thort of somthing too all those with this poblem chack the plug in the back of the base is plugged in propally if you havnt alreddy
just an idea

sageman
Robot Addict

Re: Docking

Postby neato » September 21st, 2010, 1:59 pm

desmisc wrote: . . .One issue that I noticed is that when it tries to dock it kinda slams into the dock then raises up it tail end then plops down again and starts recharging. The dock is successful but then sometimes it smoothly backs into the dock and starts to recharge. . .

If the base moves or tilts when the Neato docks with it, the power coupling won't stay in contact with the power strips in the base. That will allow the Neato to back up over the base. If the back of the base is not flat against the wall then you may need to put some spacers between the base and the wall so it has solid support and doesn't move.
neato
Neato Special Guest

Re: Docking

Postby eqwalker » September 21st, 2010, 2:24 pm

neato wrote:
desmisc wrote: . . .One issue that I noticed is that when it tries to dock it kinda slams into the dock then raises up it tail end then plops down again and starts recharging. The dock is successful but then sometimes it smoothly backs into the dock and starts to recharge. . .

If the base moves or tilts when the Neato docks with it, the power coupling won't stay in contact with the power strips in the base. That will allow the Neato to back up over the base. If the back of the base is not flat against the wall then you may need to put some spacers between the base and the wall so it has solid support and doesn't move.

I have found this to be true as well with the Trilobite. I've had to adjust the screw adjustment that it has on it's base to keep the base firmly against the baseboard so it will not move when pushed against. On carpet I've also had to make adjustments to the base so the recharging strips line up with the charge buttons on the back of the Trilobite. Docking with the Trilobite can be tricky, especially if you have a subwoofer with a huge magnet in it. The Trilobite knows the base by the magnet that is in it.
eqwalker
Robot Addict

Postby desmisc » September 21st, 2010, 9:45 pm

I had the same problem with my Roomba trial. I used a large strip of Velcro to hold the Roomba dock in place and that worked. I used Velcro on the Neito dock but it still crawls up the dock even though the dock is firmly in place.

Is there a reason that the dock must be 3 feet from any object or from a corner?
desmisc

Postby neato » September 21st, 2010, 10:14 pm

desmisc wrote:. . . I used Velcro on the Neito dock but it still crawls up the dock even though the dock is firmly in place. . .

If the base does not move or tilt during docking then the contacts are not lining up with power strips on the base. The power strips can be misaligned above or below the contacts on the Neato, or the base could be slightly tipped so only one contact touches a power strip.

Test the base alignment by slowly pushing the Neato back until you think it should be touching the power strips. If the battery indicator does not start charging then both contacts are not touching. Another test is to pull the Neato forward a little bit while it is charging. It should snug back to the base. If it drives over the base then the contacts are not lined up well.
neato
Neato Special Guest

Postby tmnCA » September 21st, 2010, 10:43 pm

Chris and another Neato users, how well does the Neato do with being moved from one floor to another, do it get confused if you move it and the charging station?
tmnCA
Robot Addict

Postby Fraggboy » September 21st, 2010, 11:23 pm

I honestly haven't moved the base. It has docked 100% of the time for me.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby desmisc » September 22nd, 2010, 3:29 am

Are the two small metal tabs on the Neito unit that contact the charger strips on the charger suppose to stick out at all?
desmisc

Postby Fraggboy » September 22nd, 2010, 8:31 am

Mine are slightly protruding from the back, yes. Very little.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby justflie » September 22nd, 2010, 8:53 am

Quick question, more out of curiosity than anything useful. Does the neat entirely remap its cleaning area every time it starts a new mission or does it try using an old map that it updates as it runs? Ie, yeah this looks like the kitchen again but now there,s a backpack sitting in the corner. What I'm trying to understand is, does it "learn" from its mistakes. If it has a trouble in a certain spot in a certain room (ie getting stuck someplace) does it realize it should bd careful/steer clear of that spot the next time?
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby eqwalker » September 22nd, 2010, 9:28 am

From what I understand it creates new maps at the beginning of every new mission.
eqwalker
Robot Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics