Any idea on attaching a swiffer underneath it?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Any idea on attaching a swiffer underneath it?

Postby lastdayx52 » September 30th, 2010, 1:12 pm

I just got this baby and charged it 'till the light stayed green (i.e. not pulsing), which, surprisingly, only took approximately 30 minutes.

While I'm quite happy about the cleaning it does, it doesn't quite get the minute dust particles. I looked into getting a Mint cleaner, but instead of spending $250 for something that this Neato essentially does (maps the area and vacuums it), anyone have any idea on how to attach a swiffer-type cloth underneath it so that it sweeps while vacuuming?

I noticed that the wheels can 'come out' of the robot quite a bit, so perhaps a 1" pad (to put downward pressure on the cloth) taped to it would suffice? I'll try this out and report how it works.
lastdayx52

Re: Any idea on attaching a swiffer underneath it?

Postby Fraggboy » September 30th, 2010, 1:24 pm

lastdayx52,

Welcome.JPG
Welcome.JPG (7.41 KiB) Viewed 13277 times

I haven't thought about adding a cleaning pad underneath the XV-11. I don't have a lot of hard floors, but it picks up debris just fine for me. Regardless, that would be pretty cool if you can engineer a device which attaches to the bottom of the XV-11 and allows a person to add a cleaning cloth to wash the floor also.

Keep us updated (with photos if possible) on your progress.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby lastdayx52 » September 30th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Thank you for the welcome =).

Fraggboy wrote:Regardless, that would be pretty cool if you can engineer a device which attaches to the bottom of the XV-11 and allows a person to add a cleaning cloth to wash the floor also.

As for the swiffer attachment, I found a solution. Tape a Swiffer Duster (non-360degrees version) under the chassis. It fits perfectly between the wheels.

However, this is only a temporary solution, as I would imagine the cost being quite huge. The Swiffer Duster goes for ~$8 for a pack of 10, so each time I use it (assuming it's usable once, since it's not meant for whole room cleaning and just dusting tables, electronics, etc.), it'll cost me ~$0.80 per use.

I suppose if such a duster exists that can be reused (i.e. washed), it would be perfect.

As for a mopping solution to mop the floors, I wouldn't personally go near that, since I'm afraid of breaking this $400 beauty due to the liquid somehow getting in the product >.>. Dry solutions for me =P.
lastdayx52

Postby RobotNewbie » December 6th, 2010, 5:07 pm

I am wondering if you found a better solution yet? I'd like to try it too (once mine arrives :))
RobotNewbie

Postby tmnCA » December 9th, 2010, 4:58 pm

Someone has thought of this:

http://www.robotaddons.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

However if you have area rugs it will not work so well, and I would not try to do it with wet cloths. Besides the pattern used by the roomba wouldn't work well for wet mopping. You need a Mint for that - scooba will also not recognize area rugs!
tmnCA
Robot Addict

Postby gawinsan » January 16th, 2012, 5:24 am

Any updates on this front? has anyone try attaching a swiffer wet mop underneath it?
gawinsan

Postby glnc222 » August 17th, 2014, 9:38 pm

One way I might try to fasten swiffer pads on the bottom, though have not done so, is with velcro fastener on the bottom. Stuck to that would be a square of cardboard or thin plastic from a take-out food container, with cardboard or sponge thickening over which the swiffer would be placed. The edges of the Swiffer would be tucked under the edges of the plate attached to Neato by velcro strips close to the edge. No idea if it would hold well enough.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby shirgal » August 22nd, 2014, 12:40 pm

Maybee you get motivated by this ... DYI wet Polisher for any kind of hard floor,
This is not my work, i saw it and saved the photos so now the time for share it,
Need to be careful with carpets if running on the same area :naughty:

obviously one can run it wet ,and to watch results as the color changes ,if you make the pad white or other than darker color will be easy detect dust collected ,and wash every few times,

Happy modding :violin:
Attachments
post (1).jpeg
post (2).jpeg
post (4).jpeg
post (3).jpeg
post (5).jpeg
post (6).jpeg
shirgal
Robot Addict

Postby andrew881 » September 4th, 2015, 7:17 pm

is this safe to try? does water damage the inside?
andrew881
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » September 4th, 2015, 8:40 pm

There are no reports of using the wet pads, but a few drops ought not to damage the insides. Those pads are not exactly buckets full. It goes through the fan, not the electronics. Some access to the brush motor. Spills from pet bowls etc. have damaged units (such bowls need special protection, not just mag strips -- see the mods list main forum page). It is not specified for use on wet floors. For wet cleaning get a Scooba or Braava from iRobot.
Let us know how it works out.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby andrew881 » September 5th, 2015, 6:13 am

glnc222 wrote:There are no reports of using the wet pads, but a few drops ought not to damage the insides. Those pads are not exactly buckets full. It goes through the fan, not the electronics. Some access to the brush motor. Spills from pet bowls etc. have damaged units (such bowls need special protection, not just mag strips -- see the mods list main forum page). It is not specified for use on wet floors. For wet cleaning get a Scooba or Braava from iRobot.
Let us know how it works out.

I own a scooba 385 but I do not like it very much, first it goes random, second it does not suck but swipes all the dirt. If i manage to do with my neato more or less its job i will sell the scooba.
I wonder why with all the existing mods none has thought to make a an attachable pad with maybe a tank for neato, basically making it like a neato+braava 380. There is such a thing for roomba already, why not making it for neato too?
andrew881
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » September 5th, 2015, 3:43 pm

The very fact you did not like the Scooba may illustrate how they did not think the market was sufficient to pay for it, or that it is not as practical as may first appear. All those slips twixt cup and lip...

Commercial Version December 2015
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18984
Last edited by glnc222 on December 21st, 2015, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby andrew881 » September 6th, 2015, 10:29 am

Scooba is very expensive and on my opinion not really worth the money (unless you get it for a very good price). But if they added a pad and detatchable tank to neato, it does not seem impossible and it would be very useful. The front vaccum gets rid of debris and the back pad mops. It is the same idea used in Monoel robot (or how it is written). I had even thoughy about taking a Monoel for this reason, but it was expensive and few use it so i did not do.
andrew881
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » January 15th, 2016, 4:56 am

Turning Off the Fan and Brush

An old question raised was whether there was some way to turn off the fan and brush to use just a swiffer.
Electrical disconnection would not work because detected as an error.
The new information obtained about offline updating of firmware reveals an odd possibility though not very convenient. The unpublished SetConfig commands which set parameters differently for Vorwerk and Neato models include defining the brush speed. So maybe configuring the brush speed zero would work, or something close to zero. There might be a similar command for fan RPM, not sure (fan RPM is adjustable in Test Mode commands, with a default 90 per cent full setting; this default might be configurable). SetConfig is discussed in the software updating threads. See links in the mods & repairs list top of main forum page, lot of material to go through.
Switching back and forth via USB commands may not be very practical convenience wise.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby elfamosorafo » January 25th, 2016, 6:41 pm

Somebody posted this on another forum.
Custom 3D Printed Neato XV Swiffer Dry/Wet Mop Attachment http://www.amazon.com/Custom-3D-Printed-Swiffer-Attachment/dp/B019JK8AQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453761518&sr=8-1&keywords=neato+swiffer+attachment :cheers:
elfamosorafo

Postby glnc222 » January 25th, 2016, 7:06 pm

See link above "commercial version" thread http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18984
Check the Mods & Repairs index thread top of main forum page for other tricks.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 29th, 2016, 2:41 pm

3D Printer File
The file for printing the Amazon plastic clip is now available for printing yourself at
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1323558
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby andrew881 » May 15th, 2016, 4:05 am

I am interested in buying this item. I live in italy and that amazon link does not work for me. I am looking for someone who can buy it and delivery it to me or maybe has already. PM me.
andrew881
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » May 15th, 2016, 2:05 pm

Some users in Europe have obtained them, discussed in German and French forums (there are two types, the frame, and the full pad from china):
http://www.roboter-forum.com/showthread.php?14725-D85-mit-Wisch-Kit
http://www.roboter-forum.com/showthread.php?13562-Swiffer-Befestigungs-Amazon&highlight=swiffer
http://www.kelrobot.fr/forum/post17771.html#p17771
Also check ebay which offers sellers international forwarding service. Contact the 3D item seller. He has been doing some international listing.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby bob61 » June 19th, 2016, 12:00 pm

bob61

Next

Return to Neato Robotics