Neato upgrade fails

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Neato upgrade fails

Postby mmm2000 » March 8th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Update successful !!

After many months of trying to update with 2 different usb cable and with 2 different computers and multiple USB ports tried, I was able to update from 3.2 to 3.4. Before this I also fixed the "green dimm button" issues by replacing the C10 capacitor with a 220mf 35V.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17846&start=100

The only thing I did differently this time was connecting to the robot with the neatocontrol program:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18173

I played around with testing the sensors, moving the robot a bit from my computer, chaging the time and schedule, but what did it for me I think it was when I went to the "commands" tab and did the "test mode off"/"test mode on" commands a few times. After that I tried again the update (with one of the same USB cables, same computer, same USB port) and this time it worked !! :D :D :D

If anybody wants the log, I can post it. Send me a PM if needed !

My robot works flawlessly now ! :D :D :D
mmm2000

Postby DogHairCleanUp » March 9th, 2015, 10:02 am

Where do I insert a cable to upgrade the software?
Roomba vs Botvac Review Photos 01/28/15
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18315
DogHairCleanUp
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » March 9th, 2015, 12:32 pm

There are no updates for the Botvac.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby mmm2000 » March 9th, 2015, 8:23 pm

DogHairCleanUp wrote:Where do I insert a cable to upgrade the software?

There is a small rubber plug on the side of the robot. Once you remove the plug you shall see the mini USB plug.
mmm2000

Postby vic7767 » March 9th, 2015, 9:39 pm

The micro USB connector for the Botvac is located next to the battery power on/off switch inside the dust bin cavity.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » March 30th, 2015, 4:27 pm

Downgrade Option on Website
I saw a reference on other forums to a "Downgrade" option now shown in the updating website for flashing firmware.
Never had that before. I don't have an XV to test it. So maybe now you can pick versions.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Brett » November 18th, 2015, 10:39 pm

I may have missed something, but it appears that there is no longer an "Update My Neato Firmware" link on the "My Neato" page?

There is only:
Edit
Delete
Accessories

Is there another link that I should be using?

Is there a way to upload the software directly?

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » November 19th, 2015, 1:18 am

You need to ask customer service. I would not be surprised if the updating app is undergoing revision for addition of firmware unique to the new Botvac-Connected model with additional com hardware. There could have been some risk of the old app delivering incorrect versions. Links to the USB driver are still active but links to the update page show it dismounted for the moment.

Some offline files were captured by Russian engineers http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=127302#p127302
[edit] the bottom, second link for v3.0 is reported dead; use the top, first link.

Incorrect usage can "brick" the Neato computer (render useless and unrepairable). The right system board must be present. There is not much of importance added to firmware since v3.1, the last which can run on the oldest boards.
V3.2 was for the newer boards with little difference. With new Botvac series there is little likelihood of any XV firmware beyond v3.4 last released. There have been no Botvac revisions.
Last edited by glnc222 on December 16th, 2015, 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Brett » November 19th, 2015, 2:26 am

Thanks for the links - I'm going to need to study the translations a bit - I'd hate to "brick" a customers machine!

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » November 20th, 2015, 1:24 pm

November 2015 user reports customer service says
Firmware updates are no longer available. After an extensive review, it has been determined that routine cleaning and maintenance will address many of the concerns our customers are experiencing.

See link above to offline file copies.
[edit] complete offline instructions in "Firmware 3.4" thread http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=134696#p134696

[edit] Vorwerk Kobold site reported working. ([edit]for Vorwerk models only; detects Neato differences, rejects as incompatible with Vorwerk lithium battery, side brush etc.)
Neato may have recognized the update system needed work. They had mixed registration for warranty with updating in a crude way. If the site was creating problems for users best wait until it can be redone. Plus they have no interest in users of old models. The newer models do not need updating except for new hardware. The operating code has pretty much been finished over several years.
Last edited by glnc222 on January 4th, 2016, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby djos » January 2nd, 2016, 4:56 am

glnc222 wrote:
[edit] Vorwerk Kobold site reported working.
Neato may have recognized the update system needed work. They had mixed registration for warranty with updating in a crude way. If the site was creating problems for users best wait until it can be redone. Plus they have no interest in users of old models. The newer models do not need updating except for new hardware. The operating code has pretty much been finished over several years.

How? I downloaded the VR100 updater and it knows I have a Neato (unsupported bot or something) and wont update it (need to update from v2.6 to 3.1 on a rev113 XV11).
Current Robot's:
Neato BotVac 80 w/ Li-NMC Battery , 2x XV11 w/ Li-NMC Battery
iRobot Roomba 561 w/ NiMh Battery, Scooba 380 w/ Li-NMC Battery

Previous Robots:
iRobot Roomba 562PE w/ Aerovac Bin & Sealed-bearing CHM
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby djos » January 2nd, 2016, 5:14 am

djos wrote:How? I downloaded the VR100 updater and it knows I have a Neato (unsupported bot or something) and wont update it (need to update from v2.6 to 3.1 on a rev113 XV11).

Never mind, I figured out a much better way and wrote a guide:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19005
Current Robot's:

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby elfamosorafo » February 7th, 2016, 8:40 am

Has anybody had it happen that their robot only starts to act up after having connected it to the Neato Control program. Even though you follow procedure in "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" properly, if only to set time and schedule, it starts to show symptoms spoken of in other threads. I even posted in a different thread how software was the issue and not the mechanics of the robot. All issues had been resolved by reinstalling firmware. Most recently, everything worked great until I connected it to set schedule. It started again with the reversing and "clear my path error" http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18884.
I reinstalled the firmware and it didn't help. After many "resets"(unplug battery for 15 mins+++) and shutdown and reboots, I decided to run a command and increase the brush speed to 1450 rpm as in the VR100. Again, problem resolved. It's been 2 weeks of day on/day off cleaning without a single issue. Anybody????
elfamosorafo

Neato upgrade fails

Postby djos » February 7th, 2016, 4:09 pm

sounds more like your bumper isn't moving freely to me, I had that after fixing a rev 113, I found I had to loosen off the bumper trim screws slightly.
Current Robot's:

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Previous

Return to Neato Robotics