Neato upgrade fails

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Neato upgrade fails

Postby zoomtuning » November 13th, 2011, 10:12 am

so...where are we all with the VX 11 these days? Do they work? How long have we all had them for?
zoomtuning

Postby FreddyTex » November 13th, 2011, 10:46 am

I've got 2 Neato XV-15 for more than 2 months now. I've upgraded them without any problem to the latest firmware.
And moreover, my roomba 581 lies on the shelf. He's useless once you've seen the neato running. No need anymore to put those boxes in the doorway. My white furniture is no longer attacked.
No, I'm more than satisfied with a cleaner that really vacuums and not brushes.

My brother and sister also have a Neato for more than 4 weeks and are extremely satisfied. I don't understand why some always use the fact that an upgrade means "a bad device".
I also like IOS5 and the upcoming android version. Devices that can't upgrade means "no improvement". And please don't tell me a roomba can't improve a lot. They're just "milking" the cash cow.
FreddyTex
Robot Groupie

Postby xPilZit_xs » November 13th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Solved my issue today.

There seems to be a software bug of the neato driver with amd southbridge usb ports.
When i used my on board usb3.0 ports the problem went away as well as using my wife's old intel based laptop.
Running Firmware 2.4 now and the neato is awesome now :)
Neato should fix their driver.
xPilZit_xs

Postby jgo » November 14th, 2011, 1:48 am

xPilZit_xs wrote:Solved my issue today.

There seems to be a software bug of the neato driver with amd southbridge usb ports.
...Neato should fix their driver.

BINGO!

Though I think it is more broad than southbridge alone.
jgo

Postby MichBill » December 6th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Postby MichBill on November 11th, 2011, 4:10 pm
I have also had this 2.4 failure to download with everything that i tried (different machine, different browser, different cables, different usb ports, repeated re-installation of the software).

Neato support logged onto my machine yesterday and spent about 45 minutes looking for a problem. He also could not get it to download. He concluded that there was some issue with the usb port on the robot. He was going to consult with some other people and get back to me with possible solutions. I'll pass them along when I hear form them

Their solution was to ship me a replacement robot with the software version 2.4 installed. After about a week of using the robot with 2.4 installed, I am very happy with how it operates. I believe that is it operating a little better in that it is cleaning the rooms more quickly with less segmentation and has improved its docking rate.
MichBill

Postby Zyphrax » December 16th, 2011, 1:34 am

My Neato XV11 arrived yesterday and it has firmware 2.4. So I've tried to put firmware 2.6 onto it, but unfortunately I only have MacBook Pro at home, so I tried the following:

- BootCamp with Windows 7 64bit
- Parallels connecting to the BootCamp partition
- VMWare Fusion with Windows XP 32bit

Nothing seems to work, I simply can't communicate with the Neato from within Windows. When I try with putty it allows me to type an 'h', but won't communicate back to me as soon as I press enter. After that the connection doesn't work anymore and I have to remove / plug-in the Neato again to get the same result.

Under Terminal in OSX I can connect to the Neato (using screen) and I can type h and the Neato will list all the commands it accepts.

Why won't bloody Windows work :(?
OSX proves that my usb cable is fine and that my hardware is capable of making the connection.
Zyphrax

Postby bwmcin » January 2nd, 2012, 3:33 pm

Facing a similar problem. Have tried different computers (win7 and win xp), different usb ports, different serial drivers, different terminal emulators, different baud rates. When using the emulators, the first character entered is echoed but that's it.
bwmcin

Postby xPilZit_xs » January 2nd, 2012, 6:26 pm

I suggest the least painful method is to find another computer(in my case an old intel chipset based laptop or a desktop PC with USB3.0 which i connected the cable to) and run it from there.
You could even try in an internet cafe....
From there strictly follow the web instructions on the neato site.
xPilZit_xs

Postby tstreete » January 8th, 2012, 9:27 pm

Count me among those who have been unable to upgrade to 2.6. A windows machine running windows 7, and a mac running windows 7 via parallels; both successfully detect the presence of the Neato, but the upgrade process fails on the first screen. I'm reasonably satisfied with how my Neato is functioning now, so I guess I'll wait a while and see if the company improves the upgrade process to make it more robust.
tstreete

Postby rsimon9228 » July 17th, 2012, 8:37 pm

I know this is an old thread but I just received my new Neato XV-11 yesterday. Tried to update from 2.4 to 2.6 tonight.. from my HP Pavilion dv7 - Intel Core i7-3610QM running Windows 7. No go.. with my Firewall off and adding neato urls to trusted sites.. it dies when it searches for available updates..

Emailed Customer Support - they sent me TeraTerm but it isn't accepting a "getver" command over a serial port to the Neato.

I guess I have two options - stay with 2.4 or try this from one of my older PC's.. I have one on Vista and another on XP.

Any advice?

Ricki
rsimon9228

Postby vic7767 » July 17th, 2012, 9:08 pm

I had luck by turning off the router, connecting the PC directly to the modem via a cat5 cable.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » July 17th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Were any of these failed updates tried on computers with AMD cpu's? It has previously been reported Neato fails to communicate via USB with certain AMD based PC's and laptops, for some defect deep in the system board support drivers. These machines will not communicate with Neato via USB in terminal programs, besides the web based firmware update. Intel machines all work. Only Neato uses some obscure method with a glitch that never created a problem for AMD to address; other devices update fine over USB on these machines.
It may be that some router software has some similar lack. There is a USB protocol which the router must implement for those connections, same as the PC, with differences between USB 1.0 and 2.0 etc.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby JEfromCanada » July 18th, 2012, 3:43 am

My PC's are AMD-based, and the update fails every time, unless I connect the PC directly to my modem. Then, it works every time.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby rsimon9228 » July 18th, 2012, 9:07 am

I will try again without using wireless thru my router.. thanks everyone
rsimon9228

Postby glnc222 » July 18th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Communication with Neato in terminal programs shows an inefficient, if not prohibited, implementation. Neato echos each character whose receipt causes display on the PC, revealing use of single character packets. This is contrary to the burst mode, record-wise transmission for which USB is designed, typical of high speed, disk-drive like interfacing. It's supposed to packetize entire lines at a time in the preferred method. It's not surprising other devices don't do this. Neato's USB interface was tacked onto a previous program using the older serial RS232 interface, for which a connector exists inside the case on the Neato main board -- which has been found attachable to Bluetooth transceivers.
I noticed on the machine which fails Neato echos the first character sent and then the connection dies. This proves the hardware is connecting but something in the protocol isn't satisfied. It's up to Neato to reveal what they are doing exactly if anyone were to accommodate them. Intel might even work by failing to implement something, allowing improper methods to work.
Extending this character-by-character mode across WiFi and Internet transmissions is pretty unusual. Lots of opportunities for glitches. At least there should be a fancy driver in the PC which isolates this method to between the PC and the Neato, but I wouldn't count on it. As simple drivers, using low-level code already in Windows, all work, there appears to be nothing fancy in the Neato program for Web interface.

Updating the firmware is a command in the terminal mode operating language published on their website. One has to wonder whether integrity checks are possible in this method.

USB interfacing has a messy history on PC's, with the Web filled with revisions and special updates from PC makers to implement the standard as used by devices, special drivers and what not, for one problem after another. The industry didn't adopt the design in a very smooth way. By the time it got straightened out, the primitive method used by Neato seems to have been left by the wayside.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby rsimon9228 » July 18th, 2012, 1:32 pm

glnc222 wrote:I noticed on the machine which fails Neato echos the first character sent and then the connection dies..

Yes - this is exactly what happened to me. The Neato CS asked me to type in getver and to send him the output for troubleshooting. it stopped at the "g" - and then said the connection died. I went into terminal setting to set Echo "on" - but that didn't help.

I just found out that my old PC runs Vista which isn't supported for updates.

I cannot hardwire my new PC to my router until my workday is over..

Sigh,

Ricki
rsimon9228

Postby JEfromCanada » July 18th, 2012, 4:08 pm

rsimon9228 wrote:I cannot hardwire my new PC to my router until my workday is over..

I had to hardwire to the MODEM, not the router.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » July 18th, 2012, 4:32 pm

Ya, the Router must be removed from the connection to the DSL or Modem.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby rsimon9228 » July 18th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Good news. I got the upgrade to work using a VERY old HP desktop running XP (with Intel CPU) - still had those fish. Not easy - had to turn off java applet scripting to get IE to access the site. But its done. Hoping they get this working before I have to do it again but glad I didn't get rid of the box.
rsimon9228

Postby rsimon9228 » July 18th, 2012, 4:50 pm

JEfromCanada wrote:
rsimon9228 wrote:I cannot hardwire my new PC to my router until my workday is over..

I had to hardwire to the MODEM, not the router.

Good thing I didn't need to do this.. don't have a modem anymore.
rsimon9228

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics