Neato XV-11/Roomba 555 comparison video

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato XV-11/Roomba 555 comparison video

Postby pH03N1xM » February 27th, 2012, 5:14 am

I did a video about Neato XV-11 vs a Roomba 555 area covering. Same area, app. 35 m2. Neato finished the job about 2 times faster, but it was very easy area generally (in a smaller room Neato about 4-5 times faster).

Main Robot: Neato XV-11 (SN: 0002344 / Board Rev 112)
pH03N1xM

Re: Neato XV-11 area covering video

Postby JEfromCanada » February 27th, 2012, 5:19 pm

I absolutely LOVE the soundtrack!
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby OntheWay » February 27th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Hardwired.. I remember watching it first time, breathless... Music was may be 30% of the total thing. Dont know how many people remembers that demo was able to dim and light the power led of computer (used to be two-state, on-off) in a very smooth sinusoidal pattern.
OntheWay
Robot Addict

Postby Fraggboy » February 27th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Just my opinion. First off, great video!! The soundtrack is great.

It seems that when the robot left a darker shade it went over it more than once. I would rather pick the robot that went over the carpet multiple times to loosen/capture more dust rather than wanting it to finish faster.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby jimr » February 27th, 2012, 8:27 pm

I'm with Fraggboy on wanting a cleaner carpet not the faster robot. In my home, though, the Neato is far superior to the roomba 531 judging by amount of stuff in the dust bin. Always the neato has more stuff in it, always. And it gets done faster.

I run the 531 first, then run the neato in the same room, neato bin has more stuff. Presumably it is not damaging the carpet :-)

And btw this is on carpet, pile about 3/4" high, moderately thick.

On hardwood floors they are about equal. Again, my home only. YMMV.

back on topic, Great video! thanks for making it!
jimr

Postby Fraggboy » February 27th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Neato turns the brush much faster than the Roomba for sure, which does make a difference.

pH03N1xM, when you did the test, did you run the Neato first, and then the Roomba, or vice-versa? If so, how long did you wait to run the second robot? Reason I ask, is I would like to know in your opinion, which robot picked up more debris (How full the dust bins were), and which robot made your floor look/feel cleaner?
Chris

Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 27th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Since finishes faster, schedule two Neato runs back to back for even more cleaning.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby pH03N1xM » February 28th, 2012, 3:30 am

So, some more details about the test:
I did the test first with Roomba, and some minutes after i did the Neato test. (so area was clean, according to Roomba, before the Neato test).

About the collected dust/etc:
Roomba collected:

And Neato collected after the Roomba:

As you can see, Neato collected far smaller particles/dust too, which was unable to collect by Roomba (due the weaker vacuum guess)

And the usual brush comparision: (Neato was cleaned approx 2 months ago (!), and Roomba was cleaned approx 2 hours ago - it did a bedroom cleaning too, before this test - Neato's brush is at leftside, Roomba at right)

And the collected mess by brushes, after brush cleaning:
Roomba:

Neato:

About the cleaning/clean feel: on hard foor they are about same i think, on thick rug Neato is far-far better (you can feel, that the fibers of the carpet are higher due strong vacuum - same feel as using a regular vacuum), and Roomba is better on hard woven rugs, where the fibers are hard and small, and a vacuum can't remove the lints from (not even a regular vacuum), just a brush. I plan to get Vorwerk VR100 brush and try it ASAP, and i try the test using reverse way too: first clean with Neato and use Roomba after to see the collected dust/etc.

And an intresting image about collected derbis in my bedroom (it was not cleaned for some days before test), it was first cleaned by Roomba again, and after Neato. Roomba did cleaning for a little bit more than a hour, and Neato did it less than 8 minutes. That room have hard coverable spaces for Roomba.

Rightside the Roomba collected dust (about 1 hour testrun), and leftside the dust collected by Neato, shortly after Roomba - runtime app. 8 minutes only.
Neato collected about same amount after Roomba, within far less time. In my bedroom i have very thick rug, which is ideal place for Neato.
pH03N1xM

Postby Fraggboy » February 28th, 2012, 11:50 am

Thank you for sharing the information with us. I am looking forward to the reverse test (Neato first, and then the Roomba.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby fore » February 28th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Very interesting real life results. I'm weighing up a purchase of either a 780 or a VR100. After lots of reading on each, I'm still no closer to a clear decision.

On the subject of which finished first...The Roomba has no idea when it's actually finished; it has to make a guess at your room size and consider that if it has been running for a given period of time, then it most likely will have covered all areas in your room at least once (and other areas many more times). So when you say the Roomba took longer, it's a little unfair, as to me it seemed like the Roomba had touched all parts of your room well before the Neato did. The fact that the Roomba continued long after it had touched all parts is just down to its programming. I was actually surprised at how slow the Neato seemed.

Your video thus made me think that the Roomba was a winner, but then your dust collection photos now have me think the Neato is the winner. If the Neato collects more AFTER the Roomba has already run, there can be no doubt that it's the better dust collector (due to pure suction power). Still, I'm very worried about the longevity of the Neato/VR100, particularly the RPS error. I'd only buy with a long guarantee.
fore
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » February 28th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Great data and photos. Apparently every vacuum picks up additional on a repeat run, at least on carpet, once noted on Dyson reviews. Greatest precision needs re-running Roomba and Neato after a Roomba run -- but how is the dirt going to be equalized in each case? A vacuum testing mansion. Dump the dirt collected back on and brush in? But any data at all is much appreciated. Too bad the makers do not try to present objective measurements -- let them keep the room filthy for a change. How about how many runs are required before the pick-up becomes nominal? Takes a precision lab scale to weigh a standard amount of dust in grams. Clean the chemistry dept.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby JEfromCanada » February 28th, 2012, 7:50 pm

I remember the day, some 35 years ago, when I allowed a vacuum cleaner salesman into my apartment. He used my Hoover brand vacuum to do the living room, then immediately followed with his Electrolux. Of course, the Electrolux gathered lots of dirt.

I asked him if I could then run my Hoover again to see if the Electrolux left anything behind, but he said he was too busy with his "next appointment". I had to chase him down the hall to get my "free gift" ...
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » February 29th, 2012, 1:01 am

What I can't figure is how a room got so dirty in the first place. An archeological dig site?
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby pH03N1xM » February 29th, 2012, 2:01 am

glnc222 wrote:What I can't figure is how a room got so dirty in the first place. An archeological dig site?

It was not cleaned for app. 10 days to make more visible result. A totally clenaed room is not a good idea for testing robotic vacuum, think i.
pH03N1xM

Postby OntheWay » February 29th, 2012, 12:23 pm

For me, test results indicate weakness of vacuum power of roomba. I agree roomba travelled all floor before neato, but I belive if it could be stopped at duration of neato, there would be even less dust in the roomba bin. It can cover all areas 2-3 or 5 times, but without powerful suction, means its just riding around.
OntheWay
Robot Addict

Postby Fraggboy » February 29th, 2012, 12:48 pm

I would like to see the testing order reversed.. Let's run the Neato first, and then the Roomba. I would bet the same thing will happen. The Roomba will pick up what Neato left behind.

Will you then be saying that the Roomba suction is still weak? Wonder what will be said then.. :roll:
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby pH03N1xM » February 29th, 2012, 1:37 pm

OntheWay wrote:For me, test results indicate weakness of vacuum power of roomba. I agree roomba travelled all floor before neato, but I belive if it could be stopped at duration of neato, there would be even less dust in the roomba bin. It can cover all areas 2-3 or 5 times, but without powerful suction, means its just riding around.

Yepp. I ready to make a new test with a reverse order: Neato first and Roomba after. Both robots are on charger now and ready for rooombkhmneato soon :)
pH03N1xM

Postby Fraggboy » February 29th, 2012, 1:41 pm

Awesome!! Granted, we won't see as much dust/debris collected due to you just performing a good clean with both robots. ;)
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 29th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Neato seems to compress the dirt more against the filter because of greater suction, and the sweep bin of an original Roomba, non-Aerovac, has no suction on it. This can distort visual volume judgements.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » February 29th, 2012, 4:28 pm

There has been reports that the AeroVac bin does gather more dust/debris due to the modification. pH03N1xM is running a normal dust bin on the Roomba, which will effect the results... in favor of the Neato.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Next

Return to Neato Robotics