Neato XV-11/Roomba 555 comparison video

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Neato XV-11 area covering video

Postby fore » February 29th, 2012, 5:00 pm

This is a funny debate. I'd be quite sure that the Neato gathers more, but yes, I'd also be interested in the "Neato first" results.

Until I'm proven wrong, I just can't believe anything other than the Neato is best at collecting dust. The "second to pass" argument falls flat because the Roomba itself passed over every area at least 3 times. Why then did not the Roomba itself pick up all the dust on its own second pass over each area? The Neato ran once, after the Roomba had passed each place 3 times, and still collected more! Sorry, I just can't see Roomba winning in this. I also note the Neato's ability to gather the fine dust (due to suction); so win 1, win 2.

I'm still figuring this outside myself though, I'm not yet sold either way. I see one of Roomba's greatest strengths is its ability to push through "soft walls" (waiting for bumper contact), and its lower height. I.E. it gets to more places.
fore
Robot Groupie

Postby Fraggboy » February 29th, 2012, 6:00 pm

When the filter gets clogged, there is loss of suction in BOTH robots. SINCE the Roomba was run first, it clogged up the filter/dust bin FULL, which resulted in not being able to pick up ALL of the debris/dirt. Neato was run second, in which it didn't have a lot to pick up and the filter didn't get as clogged.

The OP stated that they didn't vacuum their place for 10 days prior to the test.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby aubie » February 29th, 2012, 6:14 pm

If I am looking at the pics correctly, Neato picked up as much if not more than the Roomba in 1/7 th the time.
With equal pick up amounts, I don't think clogged filters would be a big difference maker.
The question I have, is, if you run both for the same amount of time what would the difference be ?

Think about it, if two vacuum salesmen showed up at your house at the same time, and one of them claimed that his vacuum need to run 7 times longer than the other vac. for a fair test. You would tell him he is crazy !
aubie
Robot Groupie

Postby Fraggboy » February 29th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Both navigate differently, so by running them in a equal amount of time wouldn't be fair to compare..

By what you are saying, then everyone should purchase a Neato and ditch Roomba based on time?

I am waiting for the test results when the Neato runs first and then the Roomba. What if the Roomba collected just as much as the Neato? What would be the cause of that? I hope the OP will wait for 10 days like they did before their first test.
Chris

Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby pH03N1xM » February 29th, 2012, 6:51 pm

Fraggboy wrote:I am waiting for the test results when the Neato runs first and then the Roomba. What if the Roomba collected just as much as the Neato? What would be the cause of that? I hope the OP will wait for 10 days like they did before their first test.

Well, i did the test at friday (24.02.2012), so i wait a bit and redo the test reversed. I wanted to make it today, but maybe wait a bit ;) Both robots are prepared (fully charged/cleaned with compressed air), and waiting to eat some fresh dust :)
Main Robot: Neato XV-11 (SN: 0002344 / Board Rev 112)
pH03N1xM

Postby fore » February 29th, 2012, 7:26 pm

glnc222 wrote:Great data and photos. Apparently every vacuum picks up additional on a repeat run, at least on carpet, once noted on Dyson reviews. Greatest precision needs re-running Roomba and Neato after a Roomba run.

This is the most interesting thread here for a while; Kudos to pH03N1xM for your video and photos. Still not sure exactly how you made that video :?:

Anyway, the only possible way that the same vacuum could be expected to pick up more dust on its second run is, and only on carpet, if the first run lifted the carpet pile in such a way that the second run managed to gather extra dust that was originally hidden under the pile. In such a case, and for the same cleaner to collect more on its second run, there would need to be much more dust hidden under the pile than was originally lying on top of the carpet. And then, you would need good suction power to draw out the dust from under the pile. All this is possible in theory, with full size vacuums, but not possible with the Roomba I guess.

From what I can tell, Roomba does well due to its ability to access more areas and to pass over the same spot several times, but in raw dust collection, suction power would seem to win. pH03N1xM, we wait eagerly for Neato first!
fore
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » February 29th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Need for a specific travel speed measurement. Maybe use remote on Roomba.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby pH03N1xM » February 29th, 2012, 7:47 pm

fore wrote:This is the most interesting thread here for a while; Kudos to pH03N1xM for your video and photos. Still not sure exactly how you made that video :?:

Video was recorded with my mobile phone (Nokia N900) - because it had the most wider angle capture possibility (i tried my Canon digital video recorder and my Nikon D5000 with 18-105mm and 35mm lens - both was worse).
I got an mp4 file (848x480 resolution, approx 95 minutes), which one was converted to raw AVI.
The smudge/painting effect was done by Adobe After Effects using CC Time Blend effect. Parameters: Transfer: Darken and Accumulation 100,0%. Rendering took about 1-1.5 hour/robot. 6x speedup was made with VirtualDub (using fps to 125 fps and frame decimation by 6) and all was edited together again with Adobe After Effects. Whole fun took about a half day.
pH03N1xM

Postby Fraggboy » February 29th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Very professional editing.. :)
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby pH03N1xM » February 29th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Fraggboy wrote:Very professional editing.. :)

Thanks ;) However i plan to make an other one, because the time blend effect did the Roomba movement too dark, due it is covered same place too many times. And thinking to add some extra barriers to make it more visible/funny :)
But first the reverse order test, as i promised.
pH03N1xM

Postby hellphish » February 29th, 2012, 8:01 pm

pH03N1xM wrote:
fore wrote:This is the most interesting thread here for a while; Kudos to pH03N1xM for your video and photos. Still not sure exactly how you made that video :?:

Video was recorded with my mobile phone (Nokia N900) - because it had the most wider angle capture possibility (i tried my Canon digital video recorder and my Nikon D5000 with 18-105mm and 35mm lens - both was worse).
I got an mp4 file (848x480 resolution, approx 95 minutes), which one was converted to raw AVI.
The smudge/painting effect was done by Adobe After Effects using CC Time Blend effect. Parameters: Transfer: Darken and Accumulation 100,0%. Rendering took about 1-1.5 hour/robot. 6x speedup was made with VirtualDub (using fps to 125 fps and frame decimation by 6) and all was edited together again with Adobe After Effects. Whole fun took about a half day.

You can save approx 6x rendering time if you first shorten the video before processing in after effects :)
hellphish

Postby pH03N1xM » February 29th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Yeah, but then the Neato part would be non-continous line, just a lot of blots. This one looks better. (tried that one too, of course)
pH03N1xM

Postby pH03N1xM » March 1st, 2012, 1:10 pm

So, today i did the test reversed: first Neato and after Roomba on same are. Both area was cleaned app. 6 days ago.

First test result:
Hard floor and mostly covered with tight woven/hard carpet - 35 m2 (same area as on my video in my first post).
Runtimes are about same: Neato did it in app. 30 minutes, Roomba did it in app. one hour.

Contain of the dustbins:

Neato's stuff is at left, Roomba at right. When i take Neato's dust collection to 100%, then Roomba collected about 70-80% stuff after Neato. (sadly i do not have here my digital scale to measure exactly)

Second test run:
My bedroom, it is totally covered by very soft carpet and a loose swollen extra rug (roomba like to 'eat' it, usually remove long fibers from... - grr!). Neato did it in 8 minutes (very odd shaped, lot of hard coverable spaces, espec for roomba) - roomba did it in 56 (!) minutes - it was very boring to watch (stucked once....) - that was the main reson why i bought Neato, btw :)

The dustbins:

Neato's collection at left, Roomba at right.
It was hard to make a good visible photo from, but Neato collected about 2-2.5 times more as the Roomba at the second run. And note: Roomba need 7x more time to cover this area.

Conclusion? Well, nothing serious, just the well known facts: a standard brush is better on tight swollen carpets, and more vacuum is better on soft carpets. On hard floor both robots are same, think i. Best solution would be a robot with self adjusting brush/vacuum :)
pH03N1xM

Postby Fraggboy » March 1st, 2012, 1:36 pm

Thank you for sharing your test results..

So, it seems a few members stating that Neato surpasses Roomba in picking up dust/debris are wrong.. Figured as much. :D

Both do a *decent* job in vacuuming, and both have their issues. I feel if one of them works well in your environment, great! There is not a cut-and-dry robotic vacuum that works well in every environment.

Great information to note and share with other new members asking which robotic vacuum should work in their environment.. ;)
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby aubie » March 1st, 2012, 2:43 pm

It would seem to me, that the next logical test would be to run the Neato, then clean out the dust bin and filter and run it again. Then do the same for the Roomba.
aubie
Robot Groupie

Postby aubie » March 1st, 2012, 2:56 pm

[quote="Fraggboy"]
By what you are saying, then everyone should purchase a Neato and ditch Roomba based on time?

If time were the only factor, then yes.
I personally would not buy any robotic vac based on just one factor.
aubie
Robot Groupie

Postby Fraggboy » March 1st, 2012, 3:03 pm

Good point..
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby pH03N1xM » March 1st, 2012, 3:16 pm

aubie wrote:It would seem to me, that the next logical test would be to run the Neato, then clean out the dust bin and filter and run it again. Then do the same for the Roomba.

Heh, great idea! :) But must wait some days first, because the test areas are toooo clean :)
pH03N1xM

Postby Fraggboy » March 1st, 2012, 3:20 pm

Quick question,

Do you normally run both robots in your home (One right after the another), or do you specifically use 1?
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby pH03N1xM » March 1st, 2012, 3:58 pm

No, i prefer/use almost everytime my Neato, Roomba is just a 'backup' device, because it is better in some areas (due it's brush). However when i can try the VR100's brush and will work similar i sell Roomba. (Sadly Hungarian Vorwerk can't supply VR100 parts...)
pH03N1xM

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics