Neato XV-11/Roomba 555 comparison video

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Neato XV-11 area covering video

Postby jimr » March 1st, 2012, 5:38 pm

Fraggboy wrote:So, it seems a few members stating that Neato surpasses Roomba in picking up dust/debris are wrong.. Figured as much. :D

Both do a *decent* job in vacuuming, and both have their issues. I feel if one of them works well in your environment, great! There is not a cut-and-dry robotic vacuum that works well in every environment.

Great information to note and share with other new members asking which robotic vacuum should work in their environment.. ;)

This comment gave me pause but upon further consideration I'm okay with it :-)

I have also run Neato first then Roomba and again found, -in my environment-, that Neato picks up more than the roomba 530 with Aerovac bin. If Roomba first then Neato, same result. So in my environment with my particular carpeting, it seems the Neato picks up more stuff. Unscientific observations to be sure, as I have not measured or quantified the amount of debris collected, just using my eyes and hands to make the observations.

This is a great thread...
jimr

Postby Fraggboy » March 1st, 2012, 9:09 pm

I think the best information to take away from this thread, is that the environment has a HUGE factor in which robotic vacuum works best. Some homes, the Neato shines. In others, the Roomba shines.

This is a very valuable thread, which can assist members that are in the market for a robotic vacuum.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby acc » March 1st, 2012, 10:42 pm

My Neato cleans the entire house room-by-room all by itself in about 50 minutes. I only let my Roomba clean at most one room at a time cos' it just in-practical to use battery-eating lighthouses everywhere and also imagine the time that Roomba will take... Not letting my house to be taken over by a robot for half a day! :mrgreen:
acc

Postby glnc222 » March 2nd, 2012, 2:31 am

What I like about the robots is their poking into tight spaces and under low furniture making manual cleaning more tedious. It seems easier to protect robot-vulnerable areas with the Neato, in this layout anyway, a few tight spaces with electronics or wires. The convenience makes it worth setting up robot-ready and I don't like floor clutter to begin with, can become a hazard even. Each to his own.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Doomsday » March 2nd, 2012, 4:30 am

Just to add a quick note to this conversation. Someone mentioned they wondered how much dirt neato would get on back to back runs. I have on many occasions run my neato as much as 6 times in one day. The first two runs will usually produce about the same amount, almost full (depending on if I have to skip a day). Then the third run is about half the bin and the rest of the runs will end up producing about the same amount and that is usually about 1 inch of dust and debris up against the filter, each time. I have never run it and gotten nothing. I will say that one of the carpets is extremely old, very tight and a good bit of the debris in the bin actually comes from that carpet and can be seen due to the carpet being a deep red and you can see the fuzz from the carpet in the bin.
Doomsday
Robot Groupie

Postby jimr » March 2nd, 2012, 2:43 pm

About the tremendous value of this thread...

If it becomes a sticky or something, should the moderator consider changing the thread subject title?

This thread has turned into a valuable comparison of cleaning robots but didn't start out that way, and the thread subject title does not suggest what sort of valuable information lies within.

Just a thought.
jimr

Postby Fraggboy » March 2nd, 2012, 3:49 pm

I think you are right about changing the subject and making it a sticky.. :)

Let me get permission from the OP to change it for them first..

EDIT: Both are done.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Re: Neato XV-11/Roomba 555 comparison video

Postby glnc222 » March 2nd, 2012, 5:46 pm

These tests confuse two different jobs: skimming surface dirt on mainly clean floor or carpet, and deep cleaning a carpet, best left to major appliances. Products vary independently within each task. Repeated pickup from by a Neato can be some deeper cleaning action instead of finishing surface skimming. Test should be done a runner with a measured amount of dust applied to a new rug -- in a clean-room by technicians in hazard suits.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby pH03N1xM » March 3rd, 2012, 6:50 pm

Finally i got back my scale, sadly it have just 1 gram precision... But it seems we forgot one thing: due far different vacuum power in the robots, the collected dust can't be compared visually, because due the stronger vacuum of Neato compress the dust better, and similar visible amount look different...

So, the measured results:
Hardfloor/hardcarpet (Neato left/Roomba right)

Soft carpet (Neato left/Roomba right)

And please do not forget: it is just the run first Neato and run Roomba after test, not direct robot comparision. But the Roomba first, Neato after had for more visible difference (Neato collected visually app 2-3 times more, than Roomba - just within 8 minutes, compared to a hour runtime of Roomba). Sadly i do not measured those dustcollections...

So, the raw vacuum power is VERY important for a robotic vacuum performance in real life tests, it seems.
Main Robot: Neato XV-11 (SN: 0002344 / Board Rev 112)
pH03N1xM

Postby glnc222 » March 3rd, 2012, 9:14 pm

All that remains is a reference amount from a full size vacuum.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby OntheWay » March 4th, 2012, 8:48 am

glnc222 wrote:All that remains is a reference amount from a full size vacuum.

Agree, now its the time for "robot first, then regular vac" test, for both units, with completely emptying bin of regular vac, before each test. Got a "0.0000" scale here, I hope one day I can make a similar test, but with over $600 price for R560, dont think I can buy it any soon..
OntheWay
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » March 4th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Digital Scales -- made for jewelry and rate coins, pocket size, graded down to .01 gm(in read-out anyway) cost less than a pack of vacuum filters. Electronic sensors replaced old precision balances, like Casio vs Swiss watches. Every comparison of vac performance should use one. This thread may be the first ever accurate report of vac effectiveness. Should get an award or something.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » March 4th, 2012, 1:22 pm

Common not to empty bins to weigh: record weight of empty bins and subtract from full bin weights (fluids have to be in something...).
Note filters will accumulate measurable amounts non-removeable. German Kobold even gave filter specs in grams of filter life capacity -- German engineering, like car engines machined to 10 times smaller tolerance than American. But Neato developed for them, they say. Globalization.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby pH03N1xM » March 4th, 2012, 4:36 pm

glnc222 wrote:Digital Scales -- made for jewelry and rate coins, pocket size, graded down to .01 gm(in read-out anyway) cost less than a pack of vacuum filters.

Since it was just a play test i do not want to buy an extra digital scale, because i simply do not need that. I just didnot throw out the collected dust and measured, just for fun & share the info about. But my soldering&desoldering/car diagnostic equipment worth over $12000 - and it is just my hobby again - my house is already full with stuffs, and i simply do not want more, thanks ;) And do not say anything about german engineering, i worked in Germany as low-level software engineer for 1 year, so guess i know more about :P
Main Robot: Neato XV-11 (SN: 0002344 / Board Rev 112)
pH03N1xM

Postby glnc222 » March 4th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Scale is perfect. Just reporting what's marketed now, as never needed any myself either, same stuff issues. Other people might like to do tests, also neither diamond dealers or chemists. Test results all very interesting
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby fore » March 5th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Thanks again pH03N1xM. I've read all there is to read on these 2 and was still undecided. Now you filled in the blanks and helped me to a decision. Although I must say that I was fully expecting that outcome of the weight comparison.

Rang Vorwerk this weekend and would have popped in if the wife hadn't other plans. Will happen soon though. Just a tiny bit worried about the 2 year warranty. Would be an expensive experiment if I were to see the RPS error in just over 2 years from now.
fore
Robot Groupie

Postby Edan-Grossman » April 20th, 2012, 5:35 pm

pH03N1xM, I have a quick question about making that video with that special painting effect.

I know that you explained how you did it in a previous post, but I was wondering if there was a way to do that effect without the new adobe after effects software. I have Premiere Pro CS5 installed on my computer and I do have an older version of After Effects (CS2 I think...) which I could try to install later, but I don't have the new After Effects.

I was thinking that if I could make a similar video with my own roomba(s) in my own house, it could help me determine the best location for the virtual walls/light houses, docking station, and see what parts are/aren't covered with each configuration I try. I'm sure that there would be something that we could all learn from my "experiments."

Overall, do you know of any method that this effect or something similar could be done without expensive software? Could it be done by my older version of After Effects (CS2)?

I'm sure that if we find a simpler way to make these "coverage" videos, more people on this forum can show us how their robots worked and help us understand how other robots work in various settings.

I have and Android Smartphone with a decent camera and I also have the GoPro hero 2 with multiple video recording modes and a time-lapse mode as well.

Thanks for any advice you could give.
Edan-Grossman

Postby Vasilio32 » June 28th, 2012, 2:07 pm

I think test where U run robots not simultaneously - is nosence.
Because when I ran my roomba 570 aerovac and new neato xv11 at one room(room is big, and they did not interrupt each other). Time deadline was when Neato finished its work - I stopped roomba also, and come compare dust collected - roombas bin has MUCH MORE of all type sh**. So I became a littlebit disappointed in neato.
If you want I can try make some video of my room, how both robots works in pair, and the result of cleaning.
Vasilio32
Robot Groupie

Postby chris-s » July 20th, 2012, 9:26 am

pH03N1xM wrote:I did a video about Neato XV-11 vs a Roomba 555 area covering. Same area, app. 35 m2. Neato finished the job about 2 times faster, but it was very easy area generally (in a smaller room Neato about 4-5 times faster).
Hi ! Wich release of After Effects did you use ?
Chris, FRANCE
Neato XV-15 since May 4, 2012
Scooba 230 since May 31, 2012
Braava 380 since May 25, 2013
Botvac 85 since September 30, 2014
chris-s
Robot Addict

Postby andrew881 » September 7th, 2015, 6:10 pm

I have not done any serious tests. But i have come from a roomba 555 exactely and now i have neato essential with combo brush. Neato picks up a lot but I must say that Roomba dust bin was something even more impressive. I remember I showed it to my mom to let her see how much dirt we had on the floor. This is all with my memory recollection but I have to say that maybe Roomba even with inferior technology and less vacuum power, only thanks to raw power of going over and over again, it picks up more.
Real advantage of neato is that you do not have to clean it every time from pet hair; then it is a pleasure to see it moving in a rational path, like a real being, turning aroung to see, thinking, then doing next move. At the end, I do not think some grams make the difference.
andrew881
Robot Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics