Brand new neato XV-12 and dust bin frustrations

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Brand new neato XV-12 and dust bin frustrations

Postby Jozer99 » April 15th, 2012, 5:32 pm

I just bought a brand new XV-12 from the Woot.com sale last week. It runs pretty well, but I have one complaint. 3-4 times per run it will stop and complain that the dust bin is not seated correctly. I will push the dust bin in, and it will start off again, only to complain later. Even while sitting at the charger, it will complain as it "looses" the dust bin, just sitting there. Putting the dust bin in, it doesn't seem to "latch", it pops up just slightly from flush no matter how hard I push it in, although this is my first Neato so I don't know how it is supposed to fit. Is this unit defective? Should I return it for refund/replacement? Is there a simple fix for this?
Jozer99

Re: Brand new neato XV-12 and dust bin frustrations

Postby JEfromCanada » April 15th, 2012, 5:55 pm

That dust bin is supposed to snap in with a positive latching "feel". It should not stick up at all. Try removing the bin, ensure your filter is on correctly, and try reseating the bin, applying some added down-force at the handle. If it won't stay snapped into place, you may have to call for service.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (not connected)
Roomba 560 (not connected)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » April 15th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Something to try, would be to remove the dust bin, apply a small piece of tape over the dust bin sensor switch. Install the dust bin and see if the Neato continues to complain.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Jozer99 » April 15th, 2012, 6:58 pm

The little nubs inside the xv-12's body that I think are supposed to hold the dust bin "clipped" in looked a bit uneven. I removed the teeniest bit of the edge using an exacto knife, and now at least the robot thinks the dust bin is staying in while it is sitting on the charger. Tomorrow I will try having it clean again, and see if it still "knocks" itself loose at the slightest provocation. If that's the case, I think I will call Neato. Kinda disappointing for a brand new robot.

On the plus side, two days worth of cleaning with the new robot, and zero hair or lint tangled around the beater. My old Roomba 4150's brush and beater would resemble cylindrical cousin "It"s from the Adam's Family at this point.
Jozer99

Postby JEfromCanada » April 15th, 2012, 10:31 pm

Jozer99 wrote:On the plus side, two days worth of cleaning with the new robot, and zero hair or lint tangled around the beater. My old Roomba 4150's brush and beater would resemble cylindrical cousin "It"s from the Adam's Family at this point.

Yup, that's pretty much the first reaction for all of us "Roomba" pioneers after watching Neato do its thing.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (not connected)
Roomba 560 (not connected)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby Barleyman » December 28th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Ugh, looks like my latest warranty replacement neato has got this issue.

Dust bin will not latch no matter how much you press on it. I don't dare to put my full weight on the poor thing, but previous neato specimens did not need any excessive force. I tried to trim the plastic nubs a bit with a knife to help them engage better but no go. I do believe the dust bin does not go all the way in for whatever reason. There are no obvious humps on the plastic which would keep it from mating properly.

Looks like yet another replacement. There have been three warranty claims so far so I have to say I'm pretty disillusioned with neato quality management :snooty:
Barleyman

Postby nastdude » December 29th, 2012, 4:03 am

my neato used to stop during his runs complaining about his bin not being in, even though it was seated correctly, for some weird reason it just wasnt hitting that black button, so I put blutak on the bin just under where the bin meets that button. No issues since. :-)

Cheers
Nathan.
nastdude

Return to Neato Robotics