Low cleaning time on XV-21

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Low cleaning time on XV-21

Postby SyRenity » November 8th, 2012, 6:15 pm

Hi.

I received today my first neato (and first cleaning bot in general), xv-21.

I charged it as instructed until the button arc changed from orange to solid green, but when I reached to start it, I accidentally moved the charging unit and disconnected it from bot. When I reconnected it the light was no longer solid but pulsing (i.e. reloading).

I started it anyhow (couldn't wait) and was really exicting to see it in action. Problem is that after working for about 20 min, the bot stopped with error asking to recharge - i.e. didn't even went to base.

So my question is if this normal for first charge cycle?

Second question, any remote chance (as stupid as it sounds) that disconnecting and reconnecting the charge unit to bot during the first charge solid green, then starting it soon while it pulsates,somehow lowered battery performance, and I actually should have let it pulsating until fully loaded?

I read on this thread that when Neato first turned on, it fast-charges, and on next cycles it charges to "top-up" mode - any relation to my case?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13525

Thanks in advance for any information.
Last edited by SyRenity on November 9th, 2012, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SyRenity

Re: Low cleaning time on first charge

Postby SyRenity » November 8th, 2012, 6:25 pm

By the way, now it charges with orange light again - like it didn't charge for ~2 hours before.

Pretty confused on this behaviour...
SyRenity

Postby vic7767 » November 8th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Normally it will take around 5 discharge/charge cycles before the Neato packs will provide their maximum power.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby SyRenity » November 9th, 2012, 1:57 am

Well, after reloading for ~2-3 more hours, it became solid green, and I started it again.

It cleaned again only for ~15-20 minutes and then came back for recharge and now reloading for last 30 min.

On site Neato says the bot will work up to 1.5 hours, so I'm worried that either I got defective batteries, or I indeed accidentally somehow killed them by disconnecting the unit from discharge station then reconnecting then starting.

Any ideas? Will also very appreciate a reply from Neato rep.
SyRenity

Postby neato » November 9th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Sorry you are having trouble with your Neato :(

If it continues to behave this way, please call Neato customer support 24/7 at (1-877-296-3286) and describe this issue.

Stopping the charge early does not harm the batteries. The state the battery charger returns to depends on how far along the charge is when the connection is broken. This may allow the Neato to return to "orange" charging from "green" charging. The Neato only changes the battery level accurately when a completion of the charge is reached.
neato
Neato Special Guest

Postby SyRenity » November 9th, 2012, 3:37 pm

So during today, I started it clean the apartment about 3-4 times. I did it only when the arc was solid green - i.e. fully charged.

It always cleans for ~20 min, then goes back to the station, and charges for ~1 hour.

From reading the site and forums here, it should take 4-5 full charges, which each of them takes 2-3 hours.

How exactly these full charges are done, if the arc becomes green after a hour?
SyRenity

Postby SyRenity » November 9th, 2012, 3:40 pm

neato wrote:Stopping the charge early does not harm the batteries. The state the battery charger returns to depends on how far along the charge is when the connection is broken. This may allow the Neato to return to "orange" charging from "green" charging. The Neato only changes the battery level accurately when a completion of the charge is reached.

So just to confirm, disconnecting the charging base while it solid green and having it switching to pulsing green on re-connection, then starting the bot is harmless, even if we speak about first charge, aka the fast-charge as you called it in another post?
SyRenity

Postby SyRenity » November 9th, 2012, 3:56 pm

If it continues to behave this way, please call Neato customer support 24/7 at (1-877-296-3286) and describe this issue.

Talked to your (very friendly) support, she said that work-time between 25 and 40 minutes is fine (???).
Not mentioning that in my case it always in the lower side of work time (i.e. 25 minutes at most), on Neato site it's written in black on white:

Fresh out of the box, we have seen shorter run times (40+ minutes), and longer charge times.
The Neato will run for approximately one to one and a half hours depending on the floor type it is being used on. It runs longer on hard floors and a little less on carpeted floors.

A clarification will be very appreciated here.
SyRenity

Re: Low cleaning time on XV-21

Postby android » November 9th, 2012, 10:41 pm

I am also facing the same problem, my neato xv21 runs for around 40mins and runs out of juice, I have already use it for around 2 weeks and it is not showing any improvement, is a run time of 40mins normal as the website claims it can run from 1 hr to 1.5 hrs. I also heard that XV11 have a better run time due to the different filter and brush, it that true?
android

Postby JEfromCanada » November 9th, 2012, 11:31 pm

Having had an excellent experience with both my XV-11 and the support staff (when it needed to be replaced), I have been recommending the Neato to friends. Yesterday, one of my friends took the plunge and ordered the XV-21 from RobotShop (Canada).

My XV-11 has never had a cleaning time issue, even when I purchased the Pet Brush/Filter. However, all this talk about newer XV-21's having a cleaning time issue is weighing on my conscience, and I'm wondering if I've done my friend any favour by recommending this purchase.

Are there any definitive answers from Neato as to whether the XV-21 has worse battery performance "out of the box" than the XV-11? The $429 purchase price for the XV-21 is not small change to my friend (a senior on fixed income), and I don't want this to become an issue between us.

Comments from special guest Neato would be appreciated.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (not connected)
Roomba 560 (not connected)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby aziesemer2 » November 11th, 2012, 11:44 am

I'm getting around 60 min in my XV-21, the same time 1 month ago when I bought it. If you are getting less than this, I'd suggest to return it. There are many source of problems that can reduce it's runtime: defective battery/motherboard/charger, bad calibration, stuck wheels/motors,...
Last edited by aziesemer2 on November 12th, 2012, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
aziesemer2

Postby SyRenity » November 12th, 2012, 6:34 am

aziesemer2 wrote:I'm getting around 60 min in my XV-21, the same time 1 month ago when I bought it. If you are getting less than this, I'd suggest to return it. There are many source of problems that ca reduce it's runtime: defective battery/motherboard/charger, bad calibration, stuck wheels/motors,...

This was the run time for you straight out of box? Meaning you got 60 minutes starting from the first charge?

If yes, then we definitely have a problem.
SyRenity

Postby aziesemer2 » November 12th, 2012, 11:16 am

I'm not sure because the first 2 times I run my Neato was in a hotel room which was smaller than 60 sq m, it finished the room in about 30 min. But when I got home, it never lasted less than one hour.
aziesemer2

Postby yakky » November 12th, 2012, 9:28 pm

I think neato may have sent out some units with a bad batch of batteries. A friend and I jumped on the woot deal two weeks ago. I charged mine to a solid green as did he. Initial run times were under 20 minutes on mostly hardwood floor. I did the whole unplug battery, reset thing. Got nothing significant. I ended up sending it back to woot. He is sending his back as well for the same issue. FWIW mine was sn 165xx and had firmware 3.

Just picked up a xv-14 from Costco. Hoping this one is going to be better. At least I don't have to sweat a short return period.

Really hoping I can get this to work. I've had three roombas, still have the original. Others are RIP.
yakky

Postby SyRenity » November 13th, 2012, 2:35 am

yakky wrote:Just picked up a xv-14 from Costco. Hoping this one is going to be better. At least I don't have to sweat a short return period..

How the XV-14 works for you? Are the run-times good?
SyRenity

Postby yakky » November 13th, 2012, 11:19 am

Just ran the XV-14 for the first time, the first run was 56 minutes compared to my initial run on the XV-21 which IIRC was 16 minutes. Also noticed the XV-14 with 2.6 seems to act much more intelligently, just seemed much more organized where the XV-21 with 3.0 seemed a little drunk in comparison.
yakky

Postby diane98 » November 13th, 2012, 4:11 pm

I bought my VX-12 from Target 12/18/2011, running on 2.4 software version. My husband & I loved it, never had any problems, would run for 90 minutes, then recharge-did this 2 more times. It would completly clean my 2000sq ft home each time with no issues. In October 2011 we started having problems with the message "my brush is stuck" all the time & it was not, it also was not charging properly. I called the company & they sent me new brush blades and we purchased new batteries, it did not make a difference. We exchanged the unit for a new one, with 2.6 software.

Wish I had my old one back, I am not happy with the 2.6 software. The unit does not run as long as the 2.4 & according to customer service, the 2.6 version only runs 25-35 minutes each run, they shortend the run time to save battery life with the new upgrade. Now it won't clean my entire house on 1 days run like the older version did. I seem to have issues with the GPS as occasionally the unit will run in circles, then finally straighten out (never had this issue before).

I have contacted customer service and they are going to look into my problems as I would like to send my unit in and go back to the 2.4 version.

I noticed alot of the response was in trying to update to the 2.6, don't be in such a hurry to do so as I don't think you will be as happy as you are with your current 2.4 version.

Is anyone experiencing any of these problems as well? I would be interested in knowing how yours compares to what we are having now.
diane98

Postby SyRenity » November 13th, 2012, 7:42 pm

After running for few days, seems the battery life began to deteriorate. The bot cleans only for 20 minutes, and several times died on floor before it reached the battery.

I sent an email about this to customercare@neatorobotics.com, but didn't get any reply yet.
Seems they want people just to call them, a strange preference IMHO.

In all, pity the new version gives such trouble with battery life, it is an excellent bot otherwise. Maybe Neato guest will shed more light on this?
His/her silence on the matter despite so many complaints and evidence gathered is also not very confidence inspiring...
SyRenity

Postby JEfromCanada » November 13th, 2012, 11:10 pm

This is the first I've heard that 2.6 reduces run times. I bought my XV-11 installed with 2.0 and have applied every update to 2.6. Run time has never been a problem.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (not connected)
Roomba 560 (not connected)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby yakky99 » November 14th, 2012, 11:38 pm

Here's special treat from Neato support:

"The robot you purchased from Costco will most likely stay at the 56 minutes, as they do not tend to increase in battery life over time.

There was definitely not a bad batch of batteries or any bad robots. We are releasing robots with shorter running times because the overall life span of the batteries will be much longer, ensuring that you will not have to purchase a new set of batteries as often. The minimum normal running time can be anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour. Your robot seems to be running under that, and what we would do in this situation is send you out a replacement set of batteries.

You can either take the robot back to the place of purchase and try to get another robot that runs as long as the XV-14, but there is no guarantee this will happen. If you provide me with your mailing address, phone number, and proof of purchase, I can definitely have some replacement batteries sent to your residence to try and resolve that issue if you want to go that route.

Sincerely,

Michelle
Neato Robotics Customer Care
Phone: 1-877-29-NEATO (US and Canada)
Phone: 1-408-848-1063 (outside the US)
Fax: 1-408-848-5784
Web: www.neatorobotics.com
Email: CustomerCare@neatorobotics.com
"
yakky99

Next

Return to Neato Robotics