Sticking menu button

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Sticking menu button

Postby tmnCA » November 13th, 2012, 1:11 am

The other day the small oblong menu selection button on my neato got stuck, and I couldn't select anything. It seemed physically stuck down. I used a bread knife to pry at it a bit and got it to work but I have to press harder than I should and it doesn't seem quote right. Any fixes?
tmnCA
Robot Addict

Re: Sticking menu button

Postby JEfromCanada » November 13th, 2012, 1:28 am

Is it still under warranty? If so, just get the unit replaced.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (not connected)
Roomba 560 (not connected)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby aziesemer2 » November 13th, 2012, 12:11 pm

I had this problem with the start button, instead. Some dust fell over the robot after driving under some furniture. The start button got stuck and the robot continually reset itself. I had to clean it and press it many times so the dust could move to a different position and free the button.

This is definitely not the best design for a vacuum equipment and it's working environment, but a sealed button.
aziesemer2

Postby npluis » November 15th, 2012, 4:07 am

Sorry to hijack this topic, but I have a related question. I have a piece of furniture where my neato gets under and then the start button is pressed so the neato stops.

Now the start button reacts more like a touch button than a press button. So I can only touch it very lightly to start it but I can't really push it down like I can with the menu button. Since it's pretty new, I can't really recall if it has been like that always or that it really should be a push button?

I'm not sure if my limited English makes the above clear....
npluis

Postby JEfromCanada » November 15th, 2012, 4:50 am

Yes, the "Start" button is less like a traditional button and more like a "contact" switch. It has always been that way.

There are other threads on this board related to Neato's getting wedged under furniture. You might want to take a look.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (not connected)
Roomba 560 (not connected)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby npluis » November 15th, 2012, 5:40 am

Thanks, it just felt weird all of a sudden and since itś still under warrany I wanted to check.

I can't understand why they choose a button like this in that location, but I can make something so it won't get stuck anymore.
npluis

Postby glnc222 » November 15th, 2012, 2:05 pm

The menu select buttons are free moving plungers on top of switches part of the LCD circuit board -- they are even sold as a part for getting lost, as they come out when not held in by the screwed in board. The on/off button plunger is glued to a spring bar, but probably works the same way.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby tmnCA » November 17th, 2012, 1:16 am

Yes it is under warranty only a few months old - but after misadventures getting this first one working (was sent 3 differently broken replacements after an rps error) I don't feel like playing "Neato roulette" again to see if I can get one that works.
tmnCA
Robot Addict

Postby aziesemer2 » November 18th, 2012, 9:18 am

Try turn it upside down and push the button many times.
aziesemer2

Postby Ametz » October 13th, 2013, 7:57 am

I have problem with my power button, its not "clicking" or anything, and if there was a spring there once i can't feel it working now.

Sometimes i have to press the start button a few times until it starts.

I tried holing my neato upside down and click alot but i can't feel that its making any difference.

I also have alittle problem with the select button, but nothing i can't handle atm..
Owner of a Neato XV-25 since Aug 05, 2012
Ametz

Postby vic7767 » October 13th, 2013, 1:34 pm

Here is a visual primer to show you what the button arrangement is mechanically.
Attachments
Buttons_Neato.jpg
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics