VR100's do RPS also

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

VR100's do RPS also

Postby fore » November 24th, 2012, 10:44 am

Yes, RPS strikes on my VR100! Of course it doesn’t say that any longer; it says something like “My laser can’t see”. 8 months after first use and well looked after; approximately 170 cycles in total. I waited until I had the replacement before I write.

The German Vorwerk store dealt with the issue with no question. 9 days after dropping it off we received a call to say we could collect. They had said they would deliver to France when I dropped it off, but the reneged on this. Anyway, 11 days after dropping it off I had a brand new one in my hands. This was a pleasant surprise, as of course I now have a new filter, new side brush, new everything in fact. What is even better is that they say that the 2 year warranty is now reset. So I have a new unit with full warranty; it’s like everything that came before is just a free bonus. I certainly hope they don’t renege on this promise!

Another bonus is that the wheels are now the same clear rubber on the Neato units. I’ve often complained about the hard black VR100 wheels, as they struggle to pass transitions, so I’m expecting good things with these new clear ones.

The software was 2.7 so I upgraded to 3.1.

I think even if the warranty wasn’t reset I’d be OK with what has passed, as receipt of a new unit sort of makes up for the temporary loss of the unit and the hassle to replace it. But the fresh warranty certainly turns this positive, as any worries about that deadline growing closer have been removed. Top marks Vorwerk.
fore
Robot Groupie

Re: VR100's do RPS also

Postby glnc222 » November 25th, 2012, 2:40 am

The original black wheel material is not quite clear. Was this hard plastic with no flexibility, like furniture casters for carpet? Or some flexible rubber just not as good as the clear tires?
glnc222
Robot Master

Re: VR100's do RPS also

Postby fore » November 25th, 2012, 11:15 am

The latter, i.e. was flexible rubber, just not quite flexible enough. These clear ones are definitely "stickier" than the black ones ever were. To cross transitions and climb rugs this is great. In some cases this does have some undesirable effects, as the v3.1 software does now have its back end climbing up some walls; the black wheels must have slipped previously. There is one area that is now even dangerous, namely a small lip that borders the first floor staircase. For the first time ever the VR100 climbed up onto that lip; I think it wants to commit suicide! I must do something about that; a small magnetic strip needed me thinks.

Funny how just one small parameter, like wheel traction, can change a lot.
fore
Robot Groupie

Return to Neato Robotics